Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
The sub 3 hour marathon training thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 391, 392, 393  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jibberjim

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

goldenboots wrote:
Just to point out - this was a 250 person race with no having to move or dodge people or anything. There was absolutely no reason not to be able to take the racing line for pretty much the whole race

Surely the problem is that you do not know what the course was done under, whilst it is likely as a road race the pavement was out of bounds, in a small race you cannot know it for sure. It's possible that the other competitor genuinely believed the pavement was fair game. The UKA rules on courses aren't clear on this at all (they appear completely silent on if a pavement is allowed, caring more that saying that footpaths are not!)

So I certainly think that you need to be generous in assuming that the other competitor was not attempting to cheat in any way, and just running what they believed the racing line to be, rather than assuming they were attempting to get a benefit.
stenard

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that's probably accurate. It's most likely a case of lack of clarity, rather than a specific desire to "cheat".

I'm presuming this is the course: http://coursemeasurement.org.uk/detail.php?area=Midlands&no=2018547

All you have on their for guidance is "right turns are the shortest line", and the fact it mentions it's all on roads.

Comparing this to a 10k I've done where I know there is no choice but to use the pavement in certain sections, the course measurement site is explicit on this: http://coursemeasurement.org.uk/detail.php?area=South&no=2010148

This is the most detailed I've ever thought about it, and those two examples do imply that unless otherwise explicitly stated in the measurement report, a pavement is off the course.

EDIT - another thought, on a similar line of thinking. In the Big Half, there is a straight section of cobbles. Last year, I was nearish the front, and everyone around me ran on the pavement to avoid running on the cobbles. Is that equally illegal, even though no distance benefit?
jibberjim

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
Comparing this to a 10k I've done where I know there is no choice but to use the pavement in certain sections, the course measurement site is explicit on this: http://coursemeasurement.org.uk/detail.php?area=South&no=2010148

I don't understand how you can run that course under that description! It doesn't explain how you get back on the pavement for the left turn from Dukes Avenue, and it also says you can use the whole width of Dukes avenue after the first 100m, which seems rather unsafe - most people tend to stay on the pavement the whole way unless there's a pack there - which is a lot safer, than running down the wrong side of a pretty busy road, but that does appear to be against the explicit course measurement - again minimal/no benefit as the road is straight (or curving the other way if any)

The actual UKA rulebook doesn't mention, it just says "Road" and "Footpath", completely ignoring pavements, my assumption is that they're going for the more generic use of footpath and it's intended to be different as you say.
Wheezy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have entered a marathon. I might even make it to the start line.

Richmond Runfest Marathon - September 15th. Smile
YKK

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Spring marathon time...

Anyone running anything?

I am running London again. And then I think am going to have a crack at the Gold Coast in July.
Tupperware

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, London again for me. Hoping for a bit cooler this year Very Happy.
stenard

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, London for me again. Into the wind down phase now. Longest runs completed.

Seems I'm in the old "fast good for age" pen this year (they're just calling it a "yellow" pen this year). Previously been in green. What's the setup like in there? Reasonable access to toilets etc?

I did get thrown a bit by the online race guide, which had bag drop in yellow shutting at 9.05, but I think that must be a typo as the pdf version has 9.35 which seems a lot more sensible.
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone do Manchester on the weekend?
Tupperware

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
Yep, London for me again. Into the wind down phase now. Longest runs completed.

Seems I'm in the old "fast good for age" pen this year (they're just calling it a "yellow" pen this year). Previously been in green. What's the setup like in there? Reasonable access to toilets etc?

I did get thrown a bit by the online race guide, which had bag drop in yellow shutting at 9.05, but I think that must be a typo as the pdf version has 9.35 which seems a lot more sensible.

I'm there too. Seems to be 2369 allocated to this start (down from 2459 in 2018) not sure if that is an effect of the qualification process.

Easy access to baggage lorry and tea/coffee/water/luco. There is a change tent, but the toilet queues are pretty long as the start approaches. Take a wide necked bottle to relieve yourself in the pen, if needed. They were taking a dim view of people pissing against walls/railings once in the pen over the last couple of years.
stenard

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So race week. And I'm ill. Wonderful.

Wasnt feeling good 2 weeks out when I did a 10k, but thought that was more than enough time to recover. Felt a lot better (in myself - legs felt crap as always during taper) up to Easter, but doing my final runs in the heat of this weekend seems to have wiped me out. I've regressed significantly and now am light headed, runny nose, sore throat, no energy, etc.

This is what I kind of struggle with on marathons. You do all the bloody work for one specific weekend, but you're just crossing your fingers on so many levels. Last year it would have been the heat which I thankfully skipped with my deferral. But now it's illness. It's definitely the thing I prefer about HM / HIM - the fact you can fit in quite a few in a season, so it's not all or nothing.
mattsurf

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:

Wasnt feeling good 2 weeks out when I did a 10k, but thought that was more than enough time to recover. Felt a lot better (in myself - legs felt crap as always during taper) up to Easter, but doing my final runs in the heat of this weekend seems to have wiped me out. I've regressed significantly and now am light headed, runny nose, sore throat, no energy, etc.

This is what I kind of struggle with on marathons. You do all the bloody work for one specific weekend, but you're just crossing your fingers on so many levels. Last year it would have been the heat which I thankfully skipped with my deferral. But now it's illness. It's definitely the thing I prefer about HM / HIM - the fact you can fit in quite a few in a season, so it's not all or nothing.

Bad luck, I hope you recover in time. I was thinking about entering Zurich Marathon on Sunday, they open up late entries on Thursday and Friday, however, I am feeling like crap today, runny nose, cough, sore throat, so unless I have a miraculous recovery, I will give it a miss
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stenard - that sucks. Just rest-up now and do as little as possible, keep hydrated and try to avoid too much stress. What's the worst that can happen with that strategy now? Nowt.
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:

That sucks Stenard, hopefully with a good bit of R&R though, it'll pass. Finger's crossed for you dude!

But I do echo your thoughts. I went all in for London in 2017, biggest training block i've ever done. Super focussed etc etc and then picked up a niggle a couple of weeks before the race. Thought it had gone, but it deralied my race about 12 miles in. For at least a few more years, i just don't think i have the mental desire to put myself in that hole again with the boom or bust outcome on race day. But hey, that's sport for you!
TriSam

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gutted for you mate, always seems to be the way that the taper fairy gets in and infects those who have prepared well!

I've got my first road race of the year next weekend, a half marathon in Richmond. Had a decent session tonight, 6 x 1 mile (1 min rest) and averaged 5:21, so a good confidence booster to get me towards the dreaded sub-75 goal.
Wheezy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That’s bad luck Stenard, but I hope that you can shake it off and give it a good go on Sunday. A friend at work has had some similar bad luck. He was due to run on Sunday and had put together 4 months’ solid training and seemed to be heading comfortably for a pb, only to get a stress fracture on his last long run. He’s spent the last 10 days on crutches. He’s deferred to next year, but like you he’s just had it with putting all his eggs in one basket. It is beyond frustrating.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 391, 392, 393  Next
Page 392 of 393

Jump to: