Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Ironman Wales 2019 - 15th September
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hammerer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject: Ironman Wales 2019 - 15th September Reply with quote

OK the probably best official Mdot out there, certainly UK anyway so whos in?
FatPom

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Ironman Wales 2019 - 15th September Reply with quote

hammerer wrote:

The swear filter will not allow honest response. Wink
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can, frankly, do one - at least until I can walk down stairs normally.... Wink
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a serious note having done 2012, 2014 and 2015's editions I was staggered how much better 2018's was - and it was great in those previous years already. Mind was completely blown all day long. Magnificent. Anyone dithering: go press enter and you will not regret it....
FatPom

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRO Saracen wrote:
On a serious note having done 2012, 2014 and 2015's editions I was staggered how much better 2018's was - and it was great in those previous years already. Mind was completely blown all day long. Magnificent. Anyone dithering: go press enter and you will not regret it....

have to second this. one thing I noticed this year was the insane crowds at St Brides Hill now go all the way up to the aid station, i'd never seen that before.

The start was better this year now they've done away with the parade through town.
twhat

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRO Saracen wrote:

What has improved out of interest ? I did it in 2012 (the easy year Wink ) and thoroughly enjoyed it but couldnt really think of anything that needed improving, save maybe the 4 laps for the marathon....

Thinking i would like to revisit but i'd want to beat my younger self's time and that is highly unlikely on 5-6 hrs a week training.......
Doca

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Ironman Wales 2019 - 15th September Reply with quote

hammerer wrote:

Probably.
I will see how Austria goes first.
WhittleFit

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRO Saracen wrote:

The support on the course and in Tenby was amazing this year!
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WhittleFit wrote:
TRO Saracen wrote:

The support on the course and in Tenby was amazing this year!

About time to switched sides of the barrier, and got it done - being your 'born just down the road' race and all Twisted Evil
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

twhat wrote:

What has improved out of interest ? I did it in 2012 (the easy year Wink ) and thoroughly enjoyed it but couldnt really think of anything that needed improving, save maybe the 4 laps for the marathon....

Thinking i would like to revisit but i'd want to beat my younger self's time and that is highly unlikely on 5-6 hrs a week training.......

1. Swim start better organised - I like the rolling starts anyway but they get you in place and your purple bags hung in a much slicker way now.

2. Support has perhaps doubled. If not, it felt like it. Many pockets of people doing special little things, their commitment to the race was amazing. The climb from St Brides is now a thing of wonder, it goes on for a mile and a half. Never seen anything like it (must try Roth one day).

3. Liked having the briefings and awards in the De Vallance in town, rather than schlepping out of town to that godforsaken airfield at Carew. Also liked the restaurant voucher instead of a pasta party.

4. Superbly worked run special needs - pass a lady with a loudhailer, shout your number and by the time you get to the station there's a volunteer waiting with your bag open.

Only thing I didn't think had improved was the slight tweak to the run course - preferred having the turn right at the Arches to do another lap, turn left for the finish. Then you had the whole esplanade as your finish line.
twhat

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. It sounds great, like the race has really become embedded in the local community, a permanent fixture in Tenby now.
I can see why they might have wanted to alter the swim start...I dont think i'll ever forget the pinch point at the first bouy in 2012 !

I am tempted to get involved next year... but on 6 hours a week can i really do it justice?
FatPom

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRO Saracen wrote:
twhat wrote:

1. Swim start better organised - I like the rolling starts anyway but they get you in place and your purple bags hung in a much slicker way now.

2. Support has perhaps doubled. If not, it felt like it. Many pockets of people doing special little things, their commitment to the race was amazing. The climb from St Brides is now a thing of wonder, it goes on for a mile and a half. Never seen anything like it (must try Roth one day).

3. Liked having the briefings and awards in the De Vallance in town, rather than schlepping out of town to that godforsaken airfield at Carew. Also liked the restaurant voucher instead of a pasta party.

4. Superbly worked run special needs - pass a lady with a loudhailer, shout your number and by the time you get to the station there's a volunteer waiting with your bag open.

Only thing I didn't think had improved was the slight tweak to the run course - preferred having the turn right at the Arches to do another lap, turn left for the finish. Then you had the whole esplanade as your finish line.

Agree with all of this, especially on the increased spectator front it's insane. Those pocket parties are your salvation on the run, those nutters in the Mexican hats were hard at it all day.

I've only done briefings art De Vallance but i like how they keep it on time.

Run course was the same as last year, so I can't comment.

The St Brides Hill is now crazy, all the way to the top and then you had Cr@P Tri giving it beans, amazing!

I'd like to give a special shout to that guy from IM (I think) that gives encouragement just after special needs on the run. He stands there on his own all night and really helps with his comments. he was there last year also.

So many little things makes this race immense.
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

twhat wrote:
Thanks. It sounds great, like the race has really become embedded in the local community, a permanent fixture in Tenby now.
I can see why they might have wanted to alter the swim start...I dont think i'll ever forget the pinch point at the first bouy in 2012 !

I am tempted to get involved next year... but on 6 hours a week can i really do it justice?

I've never forgotten that either.

Loads of guys legged it along the beach in 2011 - the first running of the event, so they put a first turn in about 100 yards out that you had to turn 90 deg at to head for the first main buoy.

It was the traditional, wide, everyone charge into the water at once IM mass beach start - but there was absolutely no time to spread out wide or the field to stretch out before this turn. It was bedlam, a logjam, we were literally not moving. Guys were windmilling away in desperation and getting nowhere.

In hindsight, I could have waited 2 minutes than walked to that first buoy on the back of 100m of solid neoprene...

That was my second ever IM, and very nearly my last because of this beating.
twhat

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRO Saracen wrote:
twhat wrote:

Loads of guys legged it along the beach in 2011 - the first running of the event, so they put a first turn in about 100 yards out that you had to turn 90 deg at to head for the first main buoy.

It was the traditional, wide, everyone charge into the water at once IM mass beach start - but there was absolutely no time to spread out wide or the field to stretch out before this turn. It was bedlam, a logjam, we were literally not moving. Guys were windmilling away in desperation and getting nowhere.

In hindsight, I could have waited 2 minutes than walked to that first buoy on the back of 100m of solid neoprene...

I must have had a good wetsuit. Just kind of bobbed around that buoy with my arms pinned to my sides. I was right in the middle of it but just found the whole thing pretty funny. Luckily the sea was dead calm that day or it could have been a bit messier.
That was my first and last Ironman. Running through some calculations to see how close i can get to my younger self's time without giving up my job or family...
JeffB

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRO Saracen wrote:
twhat wrote:

For some reason I avoided all that, I vaguely remember that I started a little bit wide but right at the front and went round that buoy a little bit wide right. Rest of the swim was fine after that, I suspect because everyone was still trying to get round it. My best ever IM swim 60:19 or something, not sure if I just had a good day or maybe it was a bit short, or a current heading towards the lifeboat house.

Not totally sure about it being the easy year, it was blowing a gale on the bike and rained, which led to me having a comedy fall off the bike. Has the bike route changed slightly since then? I thought it had a bit?

Was a great race though, but I've never been hugely compelled to go back, I'd probably put it as one of my best races and would probably struggle to get under 11 again unless conditions were good, and I really don't like the cold & wet on those type of roads.

Jeff
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: