Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
New car dilemma
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Off-Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leahnp

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I finally settled on a Honda CR-V black edition for a stupid price after trading in my A4. Not the most exciting but comfy and big enough to everything I need and the mpg is good enough
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ignore everything I said about the 520d, 5 series or the like. Ours has turned into a fcuking money pit Mad

We bought it at 3 years old, it's now 6. In that 3 years, I have now had to replace the Turbo, both self levelling rear suspension pumps and both front suspension arms. The wife has just phoned to say she was turning the car and something snapped and it's now marooned waiting for Green Flag; we had it booked in for the second suspension pump next week, and the front arms were only done 3 weeks ago.

It has turned into a salary eating POS Exclamation Evil or Very Mad

(My Subaru Legacy on the other hand has cost just two front drop links in over 10 years)
FatPom

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
ignore everything I said about the 520d, 5 series or the like. Ours has turned into a fcuking money pit Mad

We bought it at 3 years old, it's now 6. In that 3 years, I have now had to replace the Turbo, both self levelling rear suspension pumps and both front suspension arms. The wife has just phoned to say she was turning the car and something snapped and it's now marooned waiting for Green Flag; we had it booked in for the second suspension pump next week, and the front arms were only done 3 weeks ago.

(My Subaru Legacy on the other hand has cost just two front drop links in over 10 years)

I'd like a Subaru but in Oz they're driven by every bogan known to man and I can't shake the stigma , even over here. We'll be in the market soon for another car. I like the Mazda CX3, Mrs FP likes the Golf SV but I'd rather my cash went to the Japanese Very Happy
Gus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:

Crying or Very sad

I've just hit 107,000 miles in mine and I was going to dare to say it had been brilliant up until now... now I'm going to be driving around just waiting... on the edge of my seat waiting for an expensive 'pop'....

My 15 minutes of fame
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ironically today's failure was one of the new front wishbones fitted just TWO WEEKS ago! It snapped clean in half when my wife drove up a driveway on the curb FFS. Obviously the garage is going to have an issue with the supplier on this one. Thank heavens it was at parking speeds and not the M4 Mad Disbelief
FatPom

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Ironically today's failure was one of the new front wishbones fitted just TWO WEEKS ago! It snapped clean in half when my wife drove up a driveway on the curb FFS. Obviously the garage is going to have an issue with the supplier on this one. Thank heavens it was at parking speeds and not the M4 Mad Disbelief

Do you have a dashcam? 'cos ya know, not that I'm saying your wife's version of a 'curb' is different or anything Nod

I just put my POS Scenic in for a service, advisory is new brakes and rotors, a new a/c compressor (Renault so called fitted a new one under warranty 2.5 yrs ago) and have a small leak in radiator, which is weird 'cos it never uses any water. Whole will be about £1200 on a car worth £1600 tops.

I do such little mileage that I'm in a quandry really. It's a manual and Mrs FP has forgotten how to drive one, so if we change it then we'll get an auto. A lot depends if we stay in the UK. So the stop gap option is to get them to renew the rear brakes and try some RadWeld next Thurs.

I'm not real keen to change until we've either moved countries or bought a house with a driveway, right now we have on street parking so I don't GAF if it gets scratched. It really is a horrible car though (but really good on fuel!)
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatPom wrote:

Do you have a dashcam? 'cos ya know, not that I'm saying your wife's version of a 'curb' is different or anything Nod

It's 50m from the house, and a ramped one!

Gets even better: the recovery truck reversed into the back of it when he dropped it off at the garage Disbelief So now a curb on a driveway has cost two replacement wishbones, new front & rear bumpers and a new tailgate. So several thousand £ I reckon. Only consolation is we're not liable for any of it!
FatPom

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
FatPom wrote:

It's 50m from the house, and a ramped one!

Gets even better: the recovery truck reversed into the back of it when he dropped it off at the garage Disbelief So now a curb on a driveway has cost two replacement wishbones, new front & rear bumpers and a new tailgate. So several thousand £ I reckon. Only consolation is we're not liable for any of it!

Bloody hell.

Have you seen the episode of The Simpsons where Homer buys the trampoline? Exclamation
Gus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gus wrote:
Jorgan wrote:

Crying or Very sad

I've just hit 107,000 miles in mine and I was going to dare to say it had been brilliant up until now... now I'm going to be driving around just waiting... on the edge of my seat waiting for an expensive 'pop'....

This thread is a ~#*$ curse.

Today, 350 miles from home, the gearbox just went on my 520d last night.

Online quotes seem to be coming in around £2,800, that's before labour.

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

My 15 minutes of fame
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

....and this is the trouble with nice cars, especially ones with auto gearboxes and turbochargers etc. When they go, so does your bank balance.

Hope you get it sorted Gus. Ours is still at the body shop.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dare i type anything for fear of the TT car curse...a litany of failures brought by the curse of transition ted....

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Gus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
....and this is the trouble with nice cars, especially ones with auto gearboxes and turbochargers etc. When they go, so does your bank balance.

Hope you get it sorted Gus. Ours is still at the body shop.

Thanks... I did.

By chance, we were in Doncaster, where my wife's cousin works in the local Honda dealership. Went in on Monday morning, dumped what was left of my BMW on their forecourt, and drove back to Scotland a few hours later with:

leahnp wrote:
So I finally settled on a Honda CR-V black edition for a stupid price after trading in my A4. Not the most exciting but comfy and big enough to everything I need and the mpg is good enough

As above, it's definitely not exciting, but it does tick all the (boring) boxes!

Funny how life works out Razz

My 15 minutes of fame
Jorgan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given my long-term experience with the Legacy, I've been looking at the Forester 2.0XT as a potential replacement for the 520 when the time comes. It's got most of the toys, proper 4x4 and a bit of grunt too Wink
Gus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Given my long-term experience with the Legacy, I've been looking at the Forester 2.0XT as a potential replacement for the 520 when the time comes. It's got most of the toys, proper 4x4 and a bit of grunt too Wink

I don't know what the new generations of these are like, but I had a couple of Legacies in the 90's / early noughties, and loved them. Yes, they did about 12 to the gallon but they were great work horses. Then that Forester turbo came out that went like the proverbial off a shovel... very nice machine. I'm sure the versions these days will be a whole lot better.

My 15 minutes of fame
Jorgan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gus wrote:
Jorgan wrote:

I don't know what the new generations of these are like, but I had a couple of Legacies in the 90's / early noughties, and loved them. Yes, they did about 12 to the gallon but they were great work horses. Then that Forester turbo came out that went like the proverbial off a shovel... very nice machine. I'm sure the versions these days will be a whole lot better.

My Legacy is a '07 3.0R Spec B Tourer. It's a very nice car, and can be as lairy or sedate as you want (STI gearbox and chassis/underpinnings - but 3 Ltr NA engine). I think they only did it for a coupe of years; likes a drink it does! Subaru does seem to have lost it's way somewhat, gone quite bland. Levorg looks quite sporty but has a 1.6L 150 bhp engine Rolling Eyes
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Off-Topic All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: