Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Man vs Horse

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kennyOX2

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:29 pm    Post subject: Man vs Horse Reply with quote

Does anyone have any direct experience or reliable second hand reports / knowledge of the Man vs Horse event in Wales? It sounds like a good fun event and a good one to chalk off on the 'novelty' list.

Any info (in addition to the website), much appreciated.

Thanks.
ttowel

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done it twice, what do you want to know?
GrahamO

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttowel wrote:
Done it twice, what do you want to know?

I know its stupid to ask, but did you win ? Confused
ttowel

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished 2nd and 4th, wrong time of year for me as I spend previous 2 weeks cycling in the Alps and not much running
kennyOX2

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd just be eager to learn as much as I can - how hard is the train, is a good 'fun' event, any local accommodation recommendations etc etc.. just keen to glean as much as I can..
ttowel

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, a few points

Its one of the hardest run races you will do, lots of rough stuff, lots of muddy stuff, very hilly, some unrunnable, some very hard long descents.

Feed stations are minimal, and only water

Trail shoes essential, although about 2 miles is on road, studded shoes like fell shoes rather than just grippy shoes.

Horses are not much of an issue, its a slight distraction

Race venue does not have many hotels, but easy to get to and park, so stay anywhere within 30 min drive away as registration on the day. I've stayed locally, and stayed near Cardiff. either way, you will need to drive to the start.

The run itself starts fast, about 2k on road, then steep climb, paths not always well defined and there are lots of good stretches on flatter forest tracks.

Hardest hills come near the end, as are most of the boggy bits but this will take you longer than a road marathon.
Andy916

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loved this event, was my first marathon-ish event ever, 14 years ago. Tough terrain if you're a road runner. Took me 6mins longer than subsequent flat road marathons, 3:22.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: