Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
roller garage doors

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Off-Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FatPom

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:20 pm    Post subject: roller garage doors Reply with quote

Buying a house that has an old up and over and for the first time in 30 odd years of riding, I might have to (gasp!) have two of the bikes in the garage Crying or Very sad

Apart from whacking up a couple of Hiplok Airloks, another consideration will be overall security.

Has anyone had a roller door fitted recently, it's a single garage and I don't know what the cost would be? Single or double skinned?

cheers
Cool
FoulOleRon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey FP, have you thought about one of these?

explorerJC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

our electric door secures ok, backed up with internal door padlocks...any determined person could get in though, although they would probably wake the neighbourhood in doing so...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Jorgan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have an up & over which I just had fixed, to delay the inevitable replacement...which I'll get done after we have building work done - the builders need access through the back of it. I've not decided whether to get side hinged or another up & over. I have so much bad luck with technology, that something else with a motor doesn't seem worth it!

With the current up & over, because we have a rear door, I have installed some 'turn buttons' which effectively dead-lock the main door from the outside when we go away. I also park the second car against the door. That does leave the rear door, but they have to go through a neighbour's garden to get access, and tbh if they're that determined, then so be it. You can also install passive security like lights, gravel on the drive if possible, and other 'obstacles' to deter thieves, as well as stuff like visible alarms, parking your car against the door etc.

The bikes are insured in the garage, so given they're replaceable inanimate objects, I'm not too worried. Think of it as an upgrade if they're nicked Rolling Eyes Laughing
explorerJC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i too pull the second car up to the garage when we are away...but it is a bit of a give away for anyone who keeps tabs on such things...

FatPom

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all. Yeah also looking at an alarm/camera system (hard wired). The other thing is I want to store some surf board in the garage roof, so a roller door would give some real estate.

The smart trainer may or may not be in the garage yet, if it is, I might buy an old clunker just to leave in all the time and lock the other bikes up.

Like you say, all insured but I'd rather not invite the scores in the first place.
GrahamO

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought twio of them a few years ago in my house in Hampshire - custom fitted as I wanted to take away the wooden side posts from each garage as I needed the space to be able to get a honking great Audi into the garage with room to spare and ideally without having to fold the mirrors every time. taking the wooden posts out and bolting the metal runners onto the brickwork added about five inches to the door entrance width.

It also allowed me to not worry so much about the bikes stored in there.

Great job they did and we bought the aluminium type - I'll PM you the details of the supplier and their quotes. I had two as we had a double garage setup with two separate doors with a central pillar. I think I had the aluminium insulated type.
FatPom

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrahamO wrote:
I bought twio of them a few years ago in my house in Hampshire - custom fitted as I wanted to take away the wooden side posts from each garage as I needed the space to be able to get a honking great Audi into the garage with room to spare and ideally without having to fold the mirrors every time. taking the wooden posts out and bolting the metal runners onto the brickwork added about five inches to the door entrance width.

It also allowed me to not worry so much about the bikes stored in there.

Great job they did and we bought the aluminium type - I'll PM you the details of the supplier and their quotes. I had two as we had a double garage setup with two separate doors with a central pillar. I think I had the aluminium insulated type.

Got it. Cheers mate Cool
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
i too pull the second car up to the garage when we are away...but it is a bit of a give away for anyone who keeps tabs on such things...

Yes, this is often the case. However, because I ride to work a lot, my car is normally always parked there during the day too, and at weekends. So it's not indicative. Must get some more light timers though for in the hoose.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
explorerJC wrote:

Yes, this is often the case. However, because I ride to work a lot, my car is normally always parked there during the day too, and at weekends. So it's not indicative. Must get some more light timers though for in the hoose.

have you moved north of the border in the hope of escaping brexit???

awildt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having grown up in that wild west of a country (South Africa), even if I've lived away for over 10 years I'm still fairly conscious of security measures, but it's not always easy to find here what was available to us in SA.

My partner and I have often discussed security needed for garages to protect our stuff. The couple of things I've come across that I've thought were a good idea. One was a "garage door defender", basically a solid hinged block put into the concrete at the base of the door so it can't be opened. Won't stop them pulling on it and destroying the door but it'll waste the burglar's time and it'll become obvious to passers by as to what they're doing. The other thing we've discussed is expanding security gates (or grilles),

Googling the gates here, you get a lot of SA companies but it seems to be terminology so use the word grilles. Make sure you get the ones where the bottom rail is built into the floor otherwise any intruder can just bend up the bottom. These are a massive deterrent. What we've discussed doing is putting them on both the garage door and any access door to the garage. They fold up fairly small. An example I found here https://www.samsondoors.co.uk/collapsible-folding-security-grilles

I know Brits have a real aversion to bars on windows and I always get asked the question if we lived like that, but they are a genuine deterrent and really work. And I'm not expecting you to put anything over a living space just an extra layer to put anyone off getting in to the garage. Burglaries are often about timing, if it's going to take them an extra 10 or 15mins to get into the house/garage, it's not worth it. Peace of mind and all that.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Off-Topic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: