Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
2019 UTMB
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sb20

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:05 pm    Post subject: 2019 UTMB Reply with quote

Dear All

Looks like I snagged a UTMB place for 2019? Anyone else get lucky?
First Tri an evening sprint in 2008 done a few since then inc 2x Roth, IM Wales, 2x Celtman, Alps d'Huez Long, O till O, Ceasers Camp 100 x2, Norseman, Ring O Fire, St Oswalds 100, Cambrian trail, 2 Race to the King, UTMB and so it goes on!
FatPom

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: 2019 UTMB Reply with quote

sb20 wrote:
Dear All

Looks like I snagged a UTMB place for 2019? Anyone else get lucky?

The full Monty? Nice! I'm trying to get 8pts this year and throw my hat in for CCC but if takes 3 years I think I'll be 59, eek!
sb20

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. The full 9 yards.

Hopefully i wont tear my acl this time and limp my way round the last 75 miles! It bloody hurt going down hills of which therr are one or two.

Its a stunning eveny so do try for the CCC. Which takes a different route (i think more brutal) for some of it.

59 is a fine age Im sure. I will be a wippersnapper at 49!
First Tri an evening sprint in 2008 done a few since then inc 2x Roth, IM Wales, 2x Celtman, Alps d'Huez Long, O till O, Ceasers Camp 100 x2, Norseman, Ring O Fire, St Oswalds 100, Cambrian trail, 2 Race to the King, UTMB and so it goes on!
FatPom

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sb20 wrote:
Yeah. The full 9 yards.

Hopefully i wont tear my acl this time and limp my way round the last 75 miles! It bloody hurt going down hills of which therr are one or two.

Its a stunning eveny so do try for the CCC. Which takes a different route (i think more brutal) for some of it.

59 is a fine age Im sure. I will be a wippersnapper at 49!

What races did you qualify at, or are you a returning UTMBer. (not sure how that works?)
sb20

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2016 utmb gave me 6 ponts (they last 3 cycles)

The i did the 2017 and 2018 Cumbrian Way Ultra. Each worth 5 points
FatPom

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sb20 wrote:
My 2016 utmb gave me 6 ponts (they last 3 cycles)

The i did the 2017 and 2018 Cumbrian Way Ultra. Each worth 5 points

Nice. I'm in for Race to the King, undecided whether to suck it up and do Race to the Stones as well or just do one this and one next year.

I'm not aware of too many of the qualy events and apart from the Threshold Series, the ones I am aware of are all sold out. I'm based in Winchester.
sb20

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used race to the king for mynprevious applications, have done it 2 1/2 times

2016 - whole thing on sat. Then did sexond half with my partnerbon sunday
2017 - whole thing with my partner

Its a good race. Feed stations much better if you are not in the top 20 though!

Cumbrian way is an easy train journey and a lovely race. Good value for 5 points too!
FatPom

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sb20 wrote:
I used race to the king for mynprevious applications, have done it 2 1/2 times

2016 - whole thing on sat. Then did sexond half with my partnerbon sunday
2017 - whole thing with my partner

Its a good race. Feed stations much better if you are not in the top 20 though!

Cumbrian way is an easy train journey and a lovely race. Good value for 5 points too!

Cheers mate. No chance of top 20 haha. I'm off in the second wave at 7.45.

The main issue with RttS seems be logistics, start and finish middle of nowhere. Mrs FP hates driving anywhere she doesn't know so I'll be taking care of myself transport wise.

At least with RttK, I can get the bus to Arundel then just jog home to Winchester Very Happy
tunster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beware some of the races have been downgraded this year - eg Thames Path 100 always used to be 5 points - now only 4
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah trhey changed the criteria for points as well as increasing the max from 5 to 6 i think. They rely much more heavily now on elevation to get the points up.

I can't quite decide if i want to try to do UTMB or not. it's a bit like the London mara thing. On the one hand it has they hype, and history and stuff which is really appealing ... then the other side of me wants to steer clear of it for that very reason. A strange paradox! Saying that, i thought the same about London but finally did it and loved it (even if i was injured). So maybe i should give it a shot one year?!
FatPom

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm just a plodder, so doing 2 x 4pts suits me and as far as I can tell, the Threshold Series still carry 4pts each.

I did see they've increased the points required for the OCC race (40km?)

I read an interview with the UTMB management team and looking at the way they want to expand, some scary parallels can be drawn between that and the WTC model.
twhat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatPom wrote:
Well I'm just a plodder, so doing 2 x 4pts suits me and as far as I can tell, the Threshold Series still carry 4pts each.

I read an interview with the UTMB management team and looking at the way they want to expand, some scary parallels can be drawn between that and the WTC model.

Funny... i was reading this thread earlier as have been thinking about entering this (marathon distance) in the summer..

http://www.trailvsb.com/en/

I dont know anything about the points or ultras in general but on seeing that race carries 3 ITRA points a quick google led me to this..

https://ultrarunning.com/ultrarunning-news/why-we-wont-pay-utmb-itra-and-the-pay-for-points-racket/

I dont really have an opinion on it but found it quite interesting. I quite fancy that TVSB marathon.
FatPom

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

twhat wrote:
FatPom wrote:

Funny... i was reading this thread earlier as have been thinking about entering this (marathon distance) in the summer..

I dont know anything about the points or ultras in general but on seeing that race carries 3 ITRA points a quick google led me to this..

https://ultrarunning.com/ultrarunning-news/why-we-wont-pay-utmb-itra-and-the-pay-for-points-racket/

I dont really have an opinion on it but found it quite interesting. I quite fancy that TVSB marathon.

That was an interesting read, especially the comments.
sb20

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does seems shame. When i first started this utmb thing you needed 8 old style points. The races did not need to be registered and you sent a link to then race and copy of the results to UTMB.

I guess as the number of races has grown they cant check every race so some sort of race registration is needed.

The politics of it is of course a source of frustration to race directors and I know one who pulled his 100 miler because he could not be done with it. This was a 100 moler that cost £35 run by a wondeful idiosyncratic dutchman. He was not running races to make cash. All profits were given to an army charity.

Those races are being drowned out by big comercial affairs such as race to the king / stones / tower etc. So the sport feels it is losing the intemacy. However professional racing also opens the sport to a wider audiance and demystifies it. More people running in beautifull places has to be good.

Its hapened in swim run too. I see the o til o, whoch i did a fee years back, is now the selfstyled swim run workd champs and has spawned lits of qualfiers. He k u can even buy swim sun specific kit. We made ours just 6 years ago!!

I think it called progress?
awildt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatPom wrote:
twhat wrote:
FatPom wrote:

That was an interesting read, especially the comments.

I was going to bring this up but then I realised this is a triathlon thread with people that do Mdot races Wink

My running club organises a great friendly ultra in November (Warrington Way if you're interested), we also have a number of UTMB finishers and participants in the club. The race organiser nearly went to apply for UTMB points - we wouldn't get many because of the lack of elevation - but in the end didn't. Siting the articles you've shown here.

On our club discussion page I pointed out the WTC model and how remarkably similar they are. It's a pity that the world is starting to do this. Supply and demand - like the other Ironman thread that still seems to be going, even though I've been offline for a week and a bit.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: