Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Coach or not coached?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training
View previous topic :: View next topic  
explorerJC

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tuckandgo wrote:
I self coach, but had a coach for my first 18 months (including first half and full) who was very good. Prior to that I had a lot of coached sport experience rowing.

I wanted a coach to 'learn' how to balance the 3 sports together rather than to understand training concepts etc. For one sport I would have just struck out on my own.

My biggest problem is aligning my training/goals/lifestyle.

I know what needs to be done if I want to get the most out of myself.
I know what I am capable of in terms of time/life stress/current fitness levels.

e.g. I know that 5 hours building to 7 hours a week on the bike is not enough to get me to a 5hour race time. I know that I could achieve 5hours if i went 'all in'. But I know that fitting more than that in consistently isn't possible. And fitting it in 'randomly' in a balanced programme is a recipe for digging a hole/

So these days the two rarely positively overlap, and 'forcing myself' to follow an easier programme for the week, or dial back a session is quite psychologically difficult.

That is the challenge for everyone...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
tuckandgo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
tuckandgo wrote:
I self coach, but had a coach for my first 18 months (including first half and full) who was very good. Prior to that I had a lot of coached sport experience rowing.

I wanted a coach to 'learn' how to balance the 3 sports together rather than to understand training concepts etc. For one sport I would have just struck out on my own.

I know what I am capable of in terms of time/life stress/current fitness levels.

e.g. I know that 5 hours building to 7 hours a week on the bike is not enough to get me to a 5hour race time. I know that I could achieve 5hours if i went 'all in'. But I know that fitting more than that in consistently isn't possible. And fitting it in 'randomly' in a balanced programme is a recipe for digging a hole/

So these days the two rarely positively overlap, and 'forcing myself' to follow an easier programme for the week, or dial back a session is quite psychologically difficult.

The key being aligning, rather than the more regularly used 'balancing'.

Is it possible to do a PB and keep the wife happy for example? If you can't do a PB is it worth doing the race?
explorerJC

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tuckandgo wrote:
explorerJC wrote:
tuckandgo wrote:

Is it possible to do a PB and keep the wife happy for example? If you can't do a PB is it worth doing the race?

that depends on why you do the sport...

if the motivation is purely based on PBs, then you won't be in the sport for long...(depending on your start point, of course)

tuckandgo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
tuckandgo wrote:
explorerJC wrote:
tuckandgo wrote:

if the motivation is purely based on PBs, then you won't be in the sport for long...(depending on your start point, of course)

'to have a good race'.

Whatever that may mean. But that is always my goal. To feel I had a good race.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tuckandgo wrote:
explorerJC wrote:
tuckandgo wrote:
explorerJC wrote:
tuckandgo wrote:

'to have a good race'.

Whatever that may mean. But that is always my goal. To feel I had a good race.

So, having a good race need not necessitate gaining a PB...most of us would have had to quit 20 years ago if that was the case (which, in truth, we probably should Smile )

tuckandgo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the point that I was making is that you have to decide what you want, then work out if you can do it, and how that will balance with your life. And if it won't, then don't do it.

For example, after this summer the only thing that will get me to do another IM is the possibility of a PB.
This is unlikely to fit around my 'personal life', so it doesn't align and I won't actually do the race, I'll do something else.

That would be a good race. But it would also need a fast a course.
If I did a hilly course I wouldn't expect a PB, but if I executed well, had good power, consistent pace etc, I would also be 'having a good race.'

That won't happen though as I don't want to make the sacrifices required for an IM just to do a good race on a hilly course.

A couple of years ago I only worked a couple of hours a day and my girl friend wasn't very demanding so I could make my IM goal my main life goal without it impacting on anything else. So alignment was easy.

I think I am beginning to waffle, but you get the idea..... Surprised
explorerJC

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tuckandgo wrote:
I think the point that I was making is that you have to decide what you want, then work out if you can do it, and how that will balance with your life. And if it won't, then don't do it.

For example, after this summer the only thing that will get me to do another IM is the possibility of a PB.
This is unlikely to fit around my 'personal life', so it doesn't align and I won't actually do the race, I'll do something else.

That would be a good race. But it would also need a fast a course.
If I did a hilly course I wouldn't expect a PB, but if I executed well, had good power, consistent pace etc, I would also be 'having a good race.'

That won't happen though as I don't want to make the sacrifices required for an IM just to do a good race on a hilly course.

A couple of years ago I only worked a couple of hours a day and my girl friend wasn't very demanding so I could make my IM goal my main life goal without it impacting on anything else. So alignment was easy.

I think I am beginning to waffle, but you get the idea..... Surprised

yep...makes sense...

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: