Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
My P5 is dead frameset alternatives needed
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
explorerJC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fat buddha wrote:
explorerJC wrote:
fat buddha wrote:
explorerJC wrote:
cervelo p3x

not yet ITU aproved.... Wink

in time...

I would expect that the paperwork is with the ITU as I write - the P5X got approval not long after it's launch.

did you say not long after they were treated to lunch?

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
fat buddha

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
fat buddha wrote:
explorerJC wrote:
fat buddha wrote:
explorerJC wrote:
cervelo p3x

not yet ITU aproved.... Wink

in time...

I would expect that the paperwork is with the ITU as I write - the P5X got approval not long after it's launch.

did you say not long after they were treated to lunch?

Wink

fwiw - I found this on a Slowtwitch thread from TriRig which gives an insight into the approval process that they went through to get the Omni bike approved. not cheap!

"The approval process isn't difficult or even lengthy. It's a one-page application that you can find for yourself on the itu website. The toughest aspect is getting independent ISO safety certification for the frame, fork, and seatpost, in all sizes of your bike. This is a very expensive process, and you don't want to undertake the independent certification until you are SURE that your bicycle will pass it. That means that you need to do the testing at the factory level first, before sending to the independent lab.

Most big name manufacturers and factories do all of this testing in-house already, so they know they'll pass when they send out to an ISO lab. I know of a big name wheel company who would send out engineers to the independent lab itself, to ensure that all the testing was done appropriately (torque specs, specific assembly stuff, etc). However, smaller manufacturers may not always have the budgets to do ISO testing, and perhaps wouldn't want to shell out for the independent certification not knowing if their product will pass the standards tests.

For TriRig's part, we indeed perform all of the testing at the factory level, to ~120% of the ISO standard, so we knew we'd pass the independent certification. We sent off our samples and wrote the big check for lab certification. We did this not just to have ITU approval (which is a relatively tiny chunk of the market), but to have an additional independent verification that our frames are safe. Moreover, we decided to make the testing even tougher, and we asked the lab to do ALL of the strength/impact AND fatigue tests on just a single sample of each frame size. Per the testing standard, you can use up to five fresh samples for different parts of the test. So we were prepared with additional samples in case our first one failed along the way. The lab advised that it was extremely unlikely we'd pass all the tests on just one sample. But we did - each Omni sample (Small, Medium, Large) passed ALL of the tests on a single sample. Omni is one tough bike. "
leahnp

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

any ways this is the replacement to the P5. It is a lot lighter than the Cervelo but since I only finished it yesterday I need a bit of time to dial it in.
Chrace

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leahnp wrote:
any ways this is the replacement to the P5. It is a lot lighter than the Cervelo but since I only finished it yesterday I need a bit of time to dial it in.

Very trick.

How are you planning to carry stuff on it without losing aero leahnp?
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrace wrote:

How are you planning to carry stuff on it without losing aero leahnp?

Race short-course Very Happy
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leahn - was it just the frameset that you bought, everything else is moved over?
leahnp

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fortunately it was just the frameset had to be replaced. I had the P6 for 5.5 years so I had time to acquire everything over time. The furthest I’ll race at the mo is 70.3 so I can replace the top cover for a bento box and use the fizik kit to attach a bottle behind the seat. I gives me 1.5L of fluids until I have to decide what to grab.
Chrace

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

leahnp wrote:
Fortunately it was just the frameset had to be replaced. I had the P6 for 5.5 years so I had time to acquire everything over time. The furthest I’ll race at the mo is 70.3 so I can replace the top cover for a bento box and use the fizik kit to attach a bottle behind the seat. I gives me 1.5L of fluids until I have to decide what to grab.

The Tritone kit? Careful there, it breaks easily. I lost all my repair kit on the way to an olympic and plenty of stories around about it breaking. Fizik replaced without even asking questions. It's simply got a design flaw.

I'd invest in an Xlab or something instead.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you only needed to mount one cage behind the seat, I'd say zip-ties. Not sure you've got space though it that position. I can recommend the XLab carriers if you need 2 cages; they are solid. Unfortunately I sold my surplus Turbo Wing last year, so can't offer you a cheap one.
stenard

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrace wrote:
leahnp wrote:

The Tritone kit? Careful there, it breaks easily. I lost all my repair kit on the way to an olympic and plenty of stories around about it breaking. Fizik replaced without even asking questions. It's simply got a design flaw.

I'd invest in an Xlab or something instead.

Fairly sure I've mentioned this before. The new carriage bracket is different, and much better. Looks to me like he has a mistica anyway, rather than tritone, and the new bracket comes as standard with that.

Not that I ever had any problems with the old tritone brackets personally.
leahnp

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stenard- it's one of the original Tritone, not keen to replace as it is nicely broken in. I ordered the second gen attachment system as the original saddles did not have the system included.
I am enjoying riding the TT again after a year out racing on the MTB
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leahnp wrote:

I am enjoying riding the TT

In my experience, Average speed is the only reason to 'enjoy' riding a TT bike Very Happy
mattsurf

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
leahnp wrote:

I am enjoying riding the TT

In my experience, Average speed is the only reason to 'enjoy' riding a TT bike Very Happy

Every time I ride my TT bike, I think that it is actually quite good.... and then I reach for my road bike for the next ride
leahnp

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy
I have the fitness but lack finess on the MTB, at least my engine is put to good use on the TT.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: