Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Ankle stability help - taping or a brace ?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
themoid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: Ankle stability help - taping or a brace ? Reply with quote

Hi all

Have soft tissue damage to my ankle after going over on it last weekend. I'm sorting physio out, but I'm looking at supporting the joint for the foreseeable future (possibly as much for psychological reasons as physiological).

Anyone got any advice or thoughts on the relative merits of taping the ankle against using something like this http://www.physioroom.com/product/Aircast_AirSport_Ankle_Brace/2030/36224.html

Cheers

Stu
doug

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will depend on how severe and where the damage is. If it is not too bad I wouldn't bother with a brace as gentle movement should help it. I'd only consider a brace if I really needed to immobilize it.

Whenever I have gone over on my ankle I used a tubigrip elastic bandage on it, I haven't tried taping.
sooooooooz

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The brace looks quite bulky and could be a problem with fastening your trainers. I've taped my ankle several times and I think it's the best method.
If it's not too bad then a stretchy crepe-type bandage works as well.
atomiclama

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can stand or walk on it I wouldn't do anything, a gentle bit of movement will help.

Ice it and tubigrip to help with the swelling if any.

But keep it moving if not to painfull.
Edale Skyline 5:10, Cholmondeley 2:55, SLMM 13:33, Howard 2:54, Wasdale 8:48 +?
2015: Lets see if I break
Edale Skyline 4:57, Wasdale X 18:55, SLMM +?
RedZep

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once the initial inflammation has gone down and you want some general support while you work on restrengthening the ankle (once you've gone over on an ankle, it will be weaker and more prone to repeat injury), I'd also consider some kinesiotaping like rocktape. Application vids on their website or youtube. I used it to stabilise my ankle and knees while sorting out hip issues and definitely worked for me to stabilise the joints. Its doesnt restrict movement, just supports without any bulkiness.
Cat5 in the Hat

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went over on mine almost 4 weeks ago. I tape it up when I cycle, though it's getting stronger.

I taped it for a run last week and then ran too fast and it hurt. For mincing round with work I'll wear a neoprene suport thingy.
LiveFastTriYoung

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used one of these http://www.physioroom.com/product/Mueller_Soccer_Ankle_Brace/2030/35958.html before now and it's very good provided you lace it correctly.

Lace it, then pull it tighter, then tighter again and tighter again. If you've done it right it won't loosen a bit.

I've had some extensive ankle issues and surgery so understand your problem

2012 Events Cosmeston Sprint, BRAT Olympic
2013 Outlaw Half, Outlaw
2015 Staffs 70.3
2016 Outlaw Half
2017 Haugesund 70.3
2018 Mallorca 70.3, Cotswold 113
AscendoTuum

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used one of those ankle braces above for six months once I started running again after going over heavily twice in quick succession on my right ankle.

The only problem I found was they put holes in the sides of my shoes where the fabric rubbed against the sides. They helped my confidence as I was a very nervous runner for a while, scared of turning it again but I think my ankles has strengthened quicker since I stopped wearing it.

Change the way you think and change your life.
Find out more here https://www.youtube.com/user/juliusisac**t
themoid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your thoughts guys. Think I'll see what the physio recommends and then see how it goes.....

Stu
MichaelBenedict

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Themoid, thanks for your post to share! It's going to depend on how dangerous and where the injury is. After maintaining an ankle sprain, taping is frequently the usual remedy in initial care. However, I like bracing due to the fact, it is the handiest choice for people with a tape allergic reaction or frail skin susceptible to damage from the workable adhesive.
r0bh

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After twisting an ankle total imobolisation is not what you want to do, as this will mean it will heal with much reduced range of motion which will make you more susceptible to repeat injuries.

As soon as the initial swelling has gone down you want to get it moving laterally as much as you can without pain/re-injuring it
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: