Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
110BCD with less than 34T possible?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrace

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
Chrace wrote:

Ace information Matt - many thanks!!

That might actually work and certainly worth a punt. My Di2 is set up for sequential shifting so the derailleur never gets near max extension anyway.

34x40 would be brilliant. Wonder if I need a longer chain, might do actually.

Mungo - it's the extreme X in May I'm worried about. 16 climbs above 20%, 6 of them hits 25%+ and 4 hits 33%. Total elevation around 5,000m and I need to save the legs for the fell marathon afterwards. Anything to get lower gears and spin up is worth it.

I saw the elevation, and it is impressive. I have a 34x36 on my gravel bike that I use for a local climb, there is one section at 23% for 1.5km which is manageable, but grinding, much easier on my XC Mountain bike with 32x40.

I've promptly ordered a Wolftooth Roadlink, an XT 11-40 cassette and a new chain. Smile

Can use the cassette and chain on my MTB anyway if it doesn't work - definitely worth a punt. Thanks!
mattsurf

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrace wrote:
mattsurf wrote:
Chrace wrote:

Ace information Matt - many thanks!!

That might actually work and certainly worth a punt. My Di2 is set up for sequential shifting so the derailleur never gets near max extension anyway.

34x40 would be brilliant. Wonder if I need a longer chain, might do actually.

Mungo - it's the extreme X in May I'm worried about. 16 climbs above 20%, 6 of them hits 25%+ and 4 hits 33%. Total elevation around 5,000m and I need to save the legs for the fell marathon afterwards. Anything to get lower gears and spin up is worth it.

I saw the elevation, and it is impressive. I have a 34x36 on my gravel bike that I use for a local climb, there is one section at 23% for 1.5km which is manageable, but grinding, much easier on my XC Mountain bike with 32x40.

I've promptly ordered a Wolftooth Roadlink, an XT 11-40 cassette and a new chain. Smile

Can use the cassette and chain on my MTB anyway if it doesn't work - definitely worth a punt. Thanks!

Let us know if it works well
Mungo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrace..
Madness but well done all the same..

Iron distance...?

Cut offs??
Chrace

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mungo wrote:
Chrace..
Madness but well done all the same..

Iron distance...?

Cut offs??

2 hours for swim
11 hours for bike
11 hours for run

So, 24 hour total cut-off. It'll be very tight for me to get through bike and run.

Bike - did Bearman as a tester in September last year. It has same total bike height but lower gradients which should have made it slightly easier. Was 30-35C though so the long climbs really drained. Came it at 11 hour bike on that one.

Run - did a nighttime reccie in late November where we did half the run in 5.5 hours. Basically, not fast enough even from fresh start. Not a promising outlook for doing the full distance in 11 hours.

Oh, and madness is only not to try something new. Wink
Chrace

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's on. It's shifting, but indexed like crap.

Compact front (P2M with SRAM red/force rings) and Ultegra Di2 medium cage rear on to an XT 11-40 rear giving me a 34x40 lowest.

Need to see if I can actually make it work now.
mattsurf

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrace wrote:

Compact front (P2M with SRAM red/force rings) and Ultegra Di2 medium cage rear on to an XT 11-40 rear giving me a 34x40 lowest.

Have you checked hanger alignment, with such a big range this need to be set pretty well.

How does chain tension look in 34 - 11 combination?
Chrace

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
Chrace wrote:

Have you checked hanger alignment, with such a big range this need to be set pretty well.

How does chain tension look in 34 - 11 combination?

Not worried about 34-11, that's the same as before and would just end up with a slack chain at worst. The critical one would be 50-40 since that can break the rear mech. But since I use sequential shifting it never goes big-big. I can force it to do it but not sure it'd actually be possible so better leave it.

Haven't played around a lot yet. It's on the work stand in the garage at the moment so will probably give it a round tonight and see what I can do. Might need the new chain if stretch is too far but I'll see about that.
Mungo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrace
I stand by my madness quote.

24 hour cut off...

Hope the gears work well i went from 34x30 to 34x23 on my normal route, same speed up Hunters, slow..., but HR 10-12 BPM higher which is key for Long Distance races.

Let us know how you get on, Epic race report...
Chrace

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I now have a nice Ultegra Di2 medium cage hanging off a Wolftooth extender on to an 11-40 XT cassette. It cannot run 50x40, although it might if I change the chain and add the extra link lost to the Wolftooth, but I run sequential shifting so this should never happen. Re-indexing was a breeze due to the nature of Di2.

Seems to run pretty well and the low 34x40 gearing is ridiculously low - but I'll enjoy it when climbing Hardknott 9-10 hours of biking in to the extreme X.

Only leftover is some heavy chain dropping on to the rear triangle when I go from hard forwards to back pedaling. Like the chain is not strung enough to be able to take the rotation of the cassette backwards fast enough. Might take it in to the LBS and see what they think - and let them laugh their heads off at the low gearing. I can take it. Smile
mattsurf

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrace wrote:
Well, I now have a nice Ultegra Di2 medium cage hanging off a Wolftooth extender on to an 11-40 XT cassette. It cannot run 50x40, although it might if I change the chain and add the extra link lost to the Wolftooth, but I run sequential shifting so this should never happen. Re-indexing was a breeze due to the nature of Di2.

Seems to run pretty well and the low 34x40 gearing is ridiculously low - but I'll enjoy it when climbing Hardknott 9-10 hours of biking in to the extreme X.

Only leftover is some heavy chain dropping on to the rear triangle when I go from hard forwards to back pedaling. Like the chain is not strung enough to be able to take the rotation of the cassette backwards fast enough. Might take it in to the LBS and see what they think - and let them laugh their heads off at the low gearing. I can take it. Smile

I wouldn't worry too much about the chain drop while pedaling backwards, what I would check is that the gears don't jump in 34-11 and 34-12 ratio's, this is a risk if there is not enough chain tension
stenard

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
I wouldn't worry too much about the chain drop while pedaling backwards, what I would check is that the gears don't jump in 34-11 and 34-12 ratio's, this is a risk if there is not enough chain tension

Although the same as the 50-40 combo, these ratios should never be hit due to the stated use of synchro-shift
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: