Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Training Peaks
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pedro Peru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trialot wrote:
Guys,

I'm looking at getting a 24 week Ironman programme from Training Peaks. Just curious if this can be automatically populated into the planned workouts on the TP calendar? Also, I assume it will require a premium subscription.

Thanks for your help.

I have 'bought' the free sufferfest programmes and they populate fine and I have a free account.
Poet.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roscoemck wrote:
I've just started noting my TSS weekly. Would I be right on saying I should use it to factor in easy weeks?

Yes, very much so.
If your CTL (fitness) is, say, 100 at the moment and you want to increase it to, say, 110, in this coming 4 week block...

...each day's TSS on the load weeks should be +30 above CTL (so ~130 TSS per day)
The recovery week would then be -30 TSS per day, so 70TSS/day (or 490 for the week)

FWIW, my current training volume/load looks like this:

Current CTL of 90 (mainly due to two weeks downtime over Christmas - troughed to 85CTL)
Prior to that it was sitting pretty at 95 (17th December peak), so I'm just trying to get it back it up, which I managed with these two lovely weeks

L1 703 (100TSS/day, CTL of 87)
L3 887 (127TSS/day, CTL of 94)

Currently in the recovery week of the following block;
R 490 ( 70TSS/day, drops last weeks CTL)
L1 648 ( 93TSS/day, maintains current 90CTL, but builds fatigue)
L2 623 ( 89TSS/day, maintains current 90CTL, JUST!)
L3 693 ( 99TSS/day, maintains current 90CTL, but TSB is now positive...)

Basically, when I come out this four week block and into my next recovery week, my form (TSB) is going to shoot up, which (hopefully) means I can start to log some longer hours/harder sessions and see that CTL (Fitness) increase to somewhere approaching 100.
Roscoemck

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poet. wrote:
Roscoemck wrote:
I've just started noting my TSS weekly. Would I be right on saying I should use it to factor in easy weeks?

Yes, very much so.
If your CTL (fitness) is, say, 100 at the moment and you want to increase it to, say, 110, in this coming 4 week block...

...each day's TSS on the load weeks should be +30 above CTL (so ~130 TSS per day)
The recovery week would then be -30 TSS per day, so 70TSS/day (or 490 for the week)

FWIW, my current training volume/load looks like this:

Current CTL of 90 (mainly due to two weeks downtime over Christmas - troughed to 85CTL)
Prior to that it was sitting pretty at 95 (17th December peak), so I'm just trying to get it back it up, which I managed with these two lovely weeks

L1 703 (100TSS/day, CTL of 87)
L3 887 (127TSS/day, CTL of 94)

Currently in the recovery week of the following block;
R 490 ( 70TSS/day, drops last weeks CTL)
L1 648 ( 93TSS/day, maintains current 90CTL, but builds fatigue)
L2 623 ( 89TSS/day, maintains current 90CTL, JUST!)
L3 693 ( 99TSS/day, maintains current 90CTL, but TSB is now positive...)

Basically, when I come out this four week block and into my next recovery week, my form (TSB) is going to shoot up, which (hopefully) means I can start to log some longer hours/harder sessions and see that CTL (Fitness) increase to somewhere approaching 100.

That’s great, thanks Poet.

Now then, how do I use TSS effectively if I’ve only got the basic version? It doesn’t give CTL, TSB etc.
Poet.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jibberjim, or stenard, may come along shortly to correct me?

But, from reading the extensive TrainingPeaks blog, that's what I learned yesterday.

Do you have a Chrome browser?
There is an AWESOME extension called "Elevate"

This calculates figures similar to TrainingPeaks and is 100% free.
It isn't a good, but it is very decent and way better than Strava for this.

Here is a vague table to estimate TSS:

In theory, your maximum TSS for one hour of exercise is 100.
If it is more than this, your FTP is incorrect.
Pedro Peru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somewhere on here (iirc) there's a lik to an Excel spreadsheet that calculates CTL, TSB, etc from the TSS values you get from trainingpeaks.
jibberjim

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poet. wrote:
In theory, your maximum TSS for one hour of exercise is 100.
If it is more than this, your FTP is incorrect.

Remember that TrainingPeaks think your maximum TSS for one hour of running is 110. And as you suggested with your chart and I'm sure you know, I'm going to make it explicit - that is one continuous hour, if you take breaks you can do more than 100tss/hour for less time.

Don't get too hung up on the accuracy of any particular TSS number though, as long as you're consistent in how you measure, it's not accurate enough for it to matter if a particular effort is 60 or 70. It's very good in gross levels though to make sure you're not doing too little (and too much, but that will probably need lots of self knowledge and experience as too much does depend on people)

If you are gaining fitness rapidly, either use a TSS method which doesn't require performance tests (like CSS or FTP tests) but is based on something that varies less (like HR or RPE estimates)
Poet.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See, told you Wink

Thanks, jibberjim Very Happy

Also, not sure if I mentioned this before, but TSS doesn't take into account that you had an awful day at work, got home late, drank a bottle of wine, then the baby was crying all night, then you dented the car on the drive into work the next day ( TSS for that is probably 300 Wink )
Roscoemck

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. As always, loads of useful information!

I am going to monitor things like HR, TSS and Watts a bot more closely this year, however, I will bear in mind that they will not always be end of the story.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garmin has something called Intensity Minutes now (for HR activities), but I find it very inconsistent, probably not helped by the wrist HR that I have activated when I'm not using a strap during my actual training sessions.

For example, this morning I am up to 299 minutes already, despite only having done a 45 min commute barely going it to Z3. I looked at my watch and it says I'm sat here at 122bpm Rolling Eyes In fact I've just turned wrist HR off, as it's going nuts.
mattsurf

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone explain why my run today, 1h2mins 98% in Z1 and 2 on TP has a TSS of 200?

Last week the same run, 4 mins faster, mainly Z4 had a TSS of 155

And the previous week, mainly Z3 had a TSS of 143

My zones appear to be set correctly, MHR and LTR all look correct.

Is my TSS very high because my form is currently at -48?

my current CTL is 86, which is not very high, it was over 100 from March to September. I reduced training in November and December, and had a couple of weeks of almost no training over Christmas (however, I was doing a lot of walking, just not recorded).

I have completed 2 weeks of a 3 week training block, Doing the Tour De Zwift races means I am probably doing a few more zone 4+ sets than planned.

I can't say that I am feeling particularly tired, but a little concerned that TP is giving some really big TSS numbers for what feels like easy workouts
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:

I don't use TP as it's just too many different accounts! However, I do know that -48 is properly in a hole, if it's a genuine figure. Normally, you should be backing it right off with a number like that, but the fact you feel 'okay' suggests it's maybe not a true reflection. Lies, damned lies, and statistics!
stenard

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't do a 1hr run for 200 TSS? Something is wrong with your zones. I think running is a little bit more, but the general principle of 100 TSS/hr being the max still loosely applies.

For reference, my 2hr15 run yesterday, with >17k at Target MP+10s/km in the middle, accrued me 200 TSS precisely.

What TSS score is training peaks outputting (on the website): TSS, hrTSS or rTSS? That will help determine which zones are causing the problem.
mattsurf

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
mattsurf wrote:

I don't use TP as it's just too many different accounts! However, I do know that -48 is properly in a hole, if it's a genuine figure. Normally, you should be backing it right off with a number like that, but the fact you feel 'okay' suggests it's maybe not a true reflection. Lies, damned lies, and statistics!

That's what I think too, I am not doing a silly amount of training: 12.5 hours last week, 9.5 hours the week before, I am not training any harder than normal, other than doing some hard Zwift races, on the bike and running, I am mainly doing pretty low intensity work. My running distance of 30-35km per week is consistent with last year, my average running pace this year of 5:03/km is also consistent with the whole of last year.

I can't really believe that a 2 week break over Christmas would drop my CTL as much as it did

The only change I have made was to recalculate my zones, based on revised LTR, so I wonder if TP has been under calculating my CTL and now thinks that I am ramping up too fast?
mattsurf

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
You can't do a 1hr run for 200 TSS? Something is wrong with your zones. I think running is a little bit more, but the general principle of 100 TSS/hr being the max still loosely applies.

For reference, my 2hr15 run yesterday, with >17k at Target MP+10s/km in the middle, accrued me 200 TSS precisely.

What TSS score is training peaks outputting (on the website): TSS, hrTSS or rTSS? That will help determine which zones are causing the problem.

There are 3 options
TSS = 200
rTSS = 90
hrTSS = 63
Poet.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
I can't really believe that a 2 week break over Christmas would drop my CTL as much as it did

Why?
It's a rolling 6 week average of the daily TSS.

If you have 33% of your training for the past 42 days at 0TSS, then it's gonna drop pretty sharp. But TSB would have gone up and ATL down, so it's all good.

Also, that 200TSS run for 1hr is garbage.
Your running zones, pace, HR cannot be set up correctly.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: