Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
IMUK Bike course
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FatPom

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Bolton & Tenby? 180km? whatevva Try doing an Audax across Wales and back... no supporters, no rattles or foam hands, no disco music, no aid stations, no daylight, no loved ones or medals at the finish....

You bunch of fannies.

Been there, done that (not Wales) 450km, and the last climb was 27km, uugh much hurty.

Did get a beer and a Lamington at the finish Beer
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatPom wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
Bolton & Tenby? 180km? whatevva Try doing an Audax across Wales and back... no supporters, no rattles or foam hands, no disco music, no aid stations, no daylight, no loved ones or medals at the finish....

You bunch of fannies.

Been there, done that (not Wales) 450km, and the last climb was 27km, uugh much hurty.

Pubs were shut when I finished at about 1am iirc. Just posted my Brevet card through the door and drove home #SMASH Very Happy
FatPom

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
FatPom wrote:
Jorgan wrote:

You bunch of fannies.

Pubs were shut when I finished at about 1am iirc. Just posted my Brevet card through the door and drove home #SMASH Very Happy

That sounds not very good. The audax i used to do turned into a sportive with distances cut and different options. The upside was that it became a weekend cycling festival and pretty much saved the event as the pen protector crowd weren't spending any money.

It was a good thing and bad thing at the same time. I miss the old 'just get it done' atmosphere of the old audax though.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatPom wrote:

That sounds not very good. ..... I miss the old 'just get it done' atmosphere of the old audax though.

You sound torn!

This event was full of 'Audax Bachelors' from what I can tell. The sort of people that ride 150km to the event, sleep on a park bench, then do the 405km Audax and then ride home. The amount of time some of these Audaxers spend of their bikes can't leave much space for anything else, other than a job.

As a standalone venture, I loved it though.
FatPom

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
FatPom wrote:

That sounds not very good. ..... I miss the old 'just get it done' atmosphere of the old audax though.

You sound torn!

This event was full of 'Audax Bachelors' from what I can tell. The sort of people that ride 150km to the event, sleep on a park bench, then do the 405km Audax and then ride home. The amount of time some of these Audaxers spend of their bikes can't leave much space for anything else, other than a job.

As a standalone venture, I loved it though.

Not torn, I've raced every bike discipline there is except for BMX, the things I miss some years are different to what I miss others and individual events change.

This is why I don't ever get locked into only doing triathlon, there are simply so many other ways to have your a$$ handed to you Very Happy

i'm everywhere and nowhere (baby) Wink
Tri'ing Swimmer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tri'ing Swimmer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not official on website, nor do I know source of picture so may be just a concept map of potential routes still
Mungo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Handed out to local residents.....

Everyone up here thinks this is the route.

8.2k of climbing is better than the nearly 9000ft thats been flying about.

Road surfaces are beyond bad, but it is the UK.
PCP

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mungo wrote:
Handed out to local residents.....

Everyone up here thinks this is the route.

8.2k of climbing is better than the nearly 9000ft thats been flying about.

Road surfaces are beyond bad, but it is the UK.

I rode Lowercroft into Tottington, over Holcombe Hill, Grane Road and then out of Darwen today, cutting out a couple of bits where the roads would have been very icy. Managed a very slow and cautious 36 miles with 3000ft as it was -5 dry when I went out.

It is going to be a long day out. I genuinely think the bike is on a par with Wales now.
funkin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bike course has now been announced. Now you get to cycle down Sheephouse Lane!

http://eu.ironman.com/triathlon/events/emea/ironman/uk/athletes/course.aspx#axzz5fsBQa1NT
Tri'ing Swimmer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still fairly new to the North West so trying to get familiar with route. Seems like it avoids going up all the iconic named climbs people talk about, other than down Sheephouse?
Tri'ing Swimmer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, not a pro race for 2019
PCP

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still goes through a couple of villages that will be very busy, as will Sheephouse reverse. There are a few fairly desolate parts. I was surprised they have the Grane Road closed to cars.

I rode a big chunk of the new loop on Sunday, my sub 11 ambitions are blown out of the water. I know the route really well - It passes about 50 metres from where I am sat right now, through where I grew up so at least I get to ride the course every week should I choose.

Very draggy, not too many quick sections but a great course for the strong bikers who are looking for places. Good, honest course with some beautiful scenery.
snowie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add a bit of good old English rain & wind or a good old heatwave & the dropout rate will be above 25% (I predict).
Fcuk the run route- who cares?
Tri'ing Swimmer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I probably prefer flat fast, but was considering Wales so not really too bothered about the climbing. Main thing is if going to be slow then want it to be well supported/interesting. Difficult to know until recce but guess I’m looking 6-7 hours and ~11 overall, especially if slow technical descents.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: