Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
I need to drink more

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buzz_

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:33 pm    Post subject: I need to drink more Reply with quote

Following on from the weight loss and what could you not give up threads, I’m looking for an alternative to caffeinated drinks. In general I don’t think I drink enough, so am slightly dehydrated. I struggle to drink enough water, even if flavoured, especially at this time of year when a cup of something hot has more appeal. I also appreciate the ritual of walking away from my desk and taking a few minutes to make the drink.

I could just switch to decaf, but are there better alternatives? I like the smell of fruit teas but not the taste. I do drink more water when adding squash or tabs, but still probably not enough. Any great ideas for a drink to replace a coffee habit?

--
Pedro Peru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do you think that you're dehydrated?
SGreg

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whiskey
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've managed to cap it at 3 caffeinated brews last two days, as opposed to the normal 5 or 6. I've replaced them with Lemon & Ginger tea bags. Like you, I was just wanting a hot drink, and these aren't too strong flavoured. I have my caffeine first thing, then one mid morning, and one after lunch. I don't think it will be long before I could cut the afternoon one too. But I'm not going to cut it out completely...everything in moderation!
SGreg

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gin
Buzz_

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pedro Peru wrote:
Why do you think that you're dehydrated?

Pee colour mostly.
Buzz_

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
I've managed to cap it at 3 caffeinated brews last two days, as opposed to the normal 5 or 6. I've replaced them with Lemon & Ginger tea bags. Like you, I was just wanting a hot drink, and these aren't too strong flavoured. I have my caffeine first thing, then one mid morning, and one after lunch. I don't think it will be long before I could cut the afternoon one too. But I'm not going to cut it out completely...everything in moderation!

Same, I'm not planning abstinence, just cutting back. Over the weekend I just had coffee at breakfast, but I don't really sit about in the same way I do at work. Today I did replace with water/squash, and just had 1 coffee after my morning swim. But pretty certain the novelty will wear off fast.

--
GrahamO

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regular tea at work, decaf at home cuts my caffeine intake in half and isnt too difficult.
JamieMcP

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am down to 2 cups o coffee per day. I no longer have one when I first get up, it has been replaced with hot water and lemon, took a while to get used to it but now seems perfectly normal.

So many races so little time.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am pretty poor at hydration in the winter, however much of mine comes in the food that i eat...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Andy916

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redbush, ginger, ginger/lemon, peppermint, licorice and Brita-filtered tap water are my regulars. Watch out for hidden sugar and/or sweeteners in some of the fruit teas.
SGreg

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tequila?
FoulOleRon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to pick up a gut parasite a couple of years ago, and had to cut down the caffeine considerably. I've not been able to move away from tea or coffee completely, but have substituted in more decaf (the Illy decaf coffee in particular is really good, as it still has a strength to it). I've also added in Prewett's Chicory - it's a powdered drink, takes a bit of getting used to, but is also unsweetened and good for the gut.
Buzz_

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A week of 1 coffee/day complete. Can't say I've noticed too much difference so far, maybe sleeping a little better. Still struggling to drink enough water, and with how much harder it is to sit for 5 minutes and drink a glass of water/squash compared to sitting and drinking coffee.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: