Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
UK OW swim locations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeLawson

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to share something, I know a lot more cyclist who happily go out in the wet, ice etc or on busy roads and come to grief. Plenty of OAPs swim at Brighton every day of the year, without a wetsuit, and they seem to manage OK, but go to the wrong beach and you get some public servant with a yellow T-shirt and a bronze medallion for doing 2 widths trying to tell you what you should and should not do. Thanks to all to join the discussion.
NoTriBri

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supposed to be the first scheduled open water swim of the Summer tonight. River Usk. Looking to be around 9-10 degrees, but yesterdays rain might hit that. Will need the flask of hot chocolate for afters.

Y Fenni Tri Club Abergavenny.
Ian A

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stoney Cove in Leicestershire allows open water swimming all year round for anyone interested in practicing in the off season. The times swimming is allowed can vary so it's best to check with the venue first. There needs to be two or more swimmers int he water or if you are swimming solo you need a spotter with you. All swimmers are required to have a whistle on them. I've been a few times over the winter and it's a great venue with clean water, friendly staff and scuba divers. They have showers (20p for hot water), changing facilities and a cafe.

http://www.stoneycove.com/open-water-swimming.html
stenard

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've scanned the thread quickly, but not been able to spot anything...

Does anyone know of a lake in the Retford, or surrounding, area? I'm driving up that way Friday evening for a wedding on the Sunday, and I would really like to get a swim in this weekend if possible, preferably on Saturday morning.

I generally have to drive 40 odd minutes to get to lakes from my place in London, so would be happy to travel that kind of distance.

Thanks
ebygomm

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they do some open water swimming at Rother Valley Country park which I guess is about half an hour from Retford, no idea on details though.

Going the other way a similar distance towards Lincoln there's a place at North Hykeham and they definitely have Saturday morning sessions

http://www.activities-away.com/open-water-swimming/public-open-sessions/
Cal_Ife

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mallory Park Leicestershire have just started OW swimming. They have a small transition area and you can bike and run too if you like. Swim costs £5 which includes bike and run, just bike and/or run is £2.50

Free car park, cafe and showers. Plenty of spotters and you can be a complete beginner (like me) Wed & Fri 6pm - 8pm
Swansea Red

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cardiff International White Water centre have recently started doing open water sessions on a Thursday morning at 07:30. Nice sheltered, semi-treated water in a lagoon with buoys about 70m apart.

Went to my first session this morning and there were about 30 people there, which meant there was plenty of opportunity for practicing drafting etc.
Waddy-UK

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anywhere in West Yorkshire for open water swimming thanks? When it warms up obviously.
tin pot

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just swam at Thorpe Lake off J11 of M25 and it seems pretty well set up, better than my previous at Haysden Lake and Leybourne Lakes anyway:

Changing rooms
Toilets
Stone free paths
Car parking
£6

You get some kind of device "nowca"(?) that records your swim online. Doesn't do it the first time for some reason.
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
10K ‘18 50:31 '16 54:01 '13 54:46
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13
Page 13 of 13

Jump to: