Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Ross Edgley - #GreatBritishSwim
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Off-Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whisk

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ed_m wrote:
tin pot wrote:
ed_m wrote:
tin pot wrote:
Well congratulations to Ross, I was a doubter now I’m proven wrong. Smile

You doubted he'd do it in 100 days ?

Good point, but no - I doubted he would swim the full distance at all.

I’d forgotten the parameters...

I had noticed that original aim was largely unmentioned but to give him credit... he did say that when interviewed on the one show last night.

Swimming isn't my thing but this definitely falls under the category of .... fun things to do if you can walk away from your job for several months and someone is going to pay for you to do it.

Bizarrely, I think he's managed to make this his "job" Rolling Eyes Wink

I'm not sure how living on a small boat continuously for 6 months and swimming in rough water for long periods every day is ever going to be "fun" Wink . Impressive that he's managed to do it, but I think most people who were interested in what he was doing at the start probably lost interest months ago.
artik

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whisk - You are wrong - many people embraced into the Great British Swim and enjoyed every vlog and update and consider his achievement to be a real inspiration in making the impossible possible.
I for one have loved every minute of his journey. Like many of these things, it snowballs and inspires people to do new things and things they never dreamed they could do. I Look forward to his next exploit.
Chrace

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here, I'm well impressed he made it - and proven wrong thinking he wouldn't.

I followed the start and definitely thought he'd pack it in when it became apparent he wouldn't make the 100 days at all. Kudos to him to follow through and actually carry on (and I guess Red Bull to keep financing it).
PCP

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

artik wrote:
Whisk - You are wrong - many people embraced into the Great British Swim and enjoyed every vlog and update and consider his achievement to be a real inspiration in making the impossible possible.
I for one have loved every minute of his journey. Like many of these things, it snowballs and inspires people to do new things and things they never dreamed they could do. I Look forward to his next exploit.

He's not THAT wrong. I along with many others followed the early stages then lost interest until the last week or so.

Absolutely fantastic achievement though, hats off to him.
SGreg

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBH I am still a doubter.

While sitting on a boat for 160days while having a swim in cold rough water every day for long periods is undoubtedly brutal, and I give him full respect for that, Without GPS Data I simply don't believe he has swum around Britain.

It's so cheap and easy and would have helped enormously with PR and keeping people hooked. If EVERY swim had been Strava'd, if every meter swam had been digitally recorded, it would have carried ultimate credibility and pushed the PR through the roof. Not to mention potential extra sponsor money from Garmin/Sunnto or Strave etc...

To not do so simply implies they had something to hide. That exact (or even approx) start and finish locations were not adhered to and large parts of this "swim" were aboard the boat.

When someone's job is PR and Media and Generating sponsor revenue, there has to be a very good reason for ignoring this avenue!!! Can anyone seriously suggest in this world of Social Media and digital footprints this was not discussed in the plans, and subsequently left out intentionally?

And if so for what reason other than to cheat?

Willing to listen to any theories on this, but if everything is above board why not digitize it? This is not some old school swimmer who just isn't into that kind of thing, this guys JOB is social media!
Whisk

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This story featured on HIGNFY last week. He got a lot of stick from Paul Merton for the fact that he wasn't in the water continuously for the attempt Rolling Eyes
Gus

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also a little in two minds about this.

What he did was absolutely phenomenal and deserves a huge amount of respect - firstly for the sheer physical achievement and secondly for the motivation to push the boundaries like this.

However, as above, I'm slightly suspicious that, in fact, he might've just quietly missed bits out here and there or done the old 'tidal drift' that our Atlantic swimming friend enjoyed. If you're attempting something like this and with the easily availability of GNSS technology and online tracking etc. I would've thought it fundamental to the whole challenge.

It's absence makes me wonder if the omission was deliberate.

Shame because it does detract from an amazing achievement even if he did skip bits.

My 15 minutes of fame
Buzz_

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be interesting to see if this gets recognised by Guinness World Records or some such organisation. Don't they normally insist on either being present in person, or seeing fairly detailed logs to verify a record.

I'm sure there are people on here who can comment on the requirements.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buzz_ wrote:
It will be interesting to see if this gets recognised by Guinness World Records or some such organisation. Don't they normally insist on either being present in person, or seeing fairly detailed logs to verify a record.

I'm sure there are people on here who can comment on the requirements.

Guinness charge a lot of money to provide record verifiers - it's a couple of £k a day...

The alternative is to have independent verification, signed logs and full video where practical...

i know the swimmer whose idea this was and, although she was dropped for a more marketable image by the sponsor, this was a doable swim by a credible swimmer. i doubt they would risk 'failing' for want of saving a few yards every day...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Off-Topic All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: