Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Fretting about IM cut off times if bike course is changed!!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ploddinglady

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:14 am    Post subject: Fretting about IM cut off times if bike course is changed!!! Reply with quote

Just wondered if I am only person stressing about these rumours of a 7000ft new bike course?? I entered as my first IM and will have to work very very hard to make cut off - if the bike course changes to 7000ft of climbing, I think my chances of making the cut off and pretty slim. I'm not sure if I want to do it if that's the case as I wanted to try and enjoy the experience and not be panicking about every minute.
I wonder if they will give refunds?
I feel as though I have entered a race thinking the bike course was one thing and now it looks like it's going to massively change?

I imagine there's other athletes who have also entered aiming for sub 10/sub 11 etc which might now be out the window.

Not wanting to sound miserable, just wondering if anyone else feels the same?
JeffB

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd wait and see the official announcement, and if possible ride the course.

7000ft is a fair amount of climbing (if you aren't used to it), and I always think it's a bit unfair when they change the (originally) advertised course after a lot of signups, but I suspect that's in the smallprint somewhere.

You can usually transfer to another race if they aren't full, but it would have to be a European one unless you fancied Wales, which is also lumpy.

Jeff
PCP

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are based in Manchester you should be able to get out and train on the course.
Have you thought about joining Manchester Tri club? They are a great bunch and have so very good swim sessions which is the first point of making the bike cut-off.

Also just get out and ride your bike up as many hills as possible.

Get your swim to 1:30 which is very easy to do then even if you take 10 mins in transition you will have 8 hours 49 mins to do the bike. That is just over 12.5mph, leaving you 6.5 hours to walk a marathon.

It is LOADS of time if you get some training done. Just make sure you spend enough time swimming and biking. If you are worried about cut-off then you won't be running much anyway.

Do you enjoy spending time on your bike? Can you swim?

I'd rather they'd left the course (or made it easier Laughing ) but it is what it is and I'm just going to train as hard as I can to see what I can do.
Dream times are dream times whether 10, 11, 14 or 17 hours. Work as hard as you can for it. It isn't supposed to be easy.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is Bolton? By my reckoning, you have over 7 months to prepare for it; that's a lot of time if you are committed and motivated to complete an Ironman event.

No matter how long an Ironman takes and how fast you are, the one thing that's common to everyone who makes it across the line, is that they committed to achieving their goal.

Today, you have 222 days of equal length until 14 July 19 - you can do it!
Wheezy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s starting to sound a lot like Ironman Journey around here!

Ploddinglady, best of luck. As PCP and Jorgan say, you’ve got quite a bit of time before the fear sets in. Deffo join a bike or tri club to help get you out over the winter and spring. Let us know how things are going Smile
Jorgan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheezy wrote:
It’s starting to sound a lot like Ironman Journey around here!

Ploddinglady, best of luck. As PCP and Jorgan say, you’ve got quite a bit of time before the fear sets in. Deffo join a bike or tri club to help get you out over the winter and spring. Let us know how things are going Smile

Ha! I'm basically saying to the OP there are 222 days - knuckle down and you will succeed. It's not meant to be easy Smile
snowie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Fretting about IM cut off times if bike course is change Reply with quote

ploddinglady wrote:
Just wondered if I am only person stressing about these rumours of a 7000ft new bike course?? I entered as my first IM and will have to work very very hard to make cut off - if the bike course changes to 7000ft of climbing, I think my chances of making the cut off and pretty slim. I'm not sure if I want to do it if that's the case as I wanted to try and enjoy the experience and not be panicking about every minute.
I wonder if they will give refunds?
I feel as though I have entered a race thinking the bike course was one thing and now it looks like it's going to massively change?

I imagine there's other athletes who have also entered aiming for sub 10/sub 11 etc which might now be out the window.

Not wanting to sound miserable, just wondering if anyone else feels the same?

keep calm & carry on!

I doubt it very much that they will add 2000ft of ascent & have a 7000ft course, I think its the 'marys' just getting wound up & starting rumours.

The powers that be do not want to have a course that people cannot finish,
they want everyone to finish so its in their interests to have a doable course.

just keep doing what your doing training wise & when the new course is announced you will wonder why you were worrying so much.
PCP

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Fretting about IM cut off times if bike course is change Reply with quote

snowie wrote:

keep calm & carry on!

I doubt it very much that they will add 2000ft of ascent & have a 7000ft course, I think its the 'marys' just getting wound up & starting rumours.

The powers that be do not want to have a course that people cannot finish,
they want everyone to finish so its in their interests to have a doable course.

just keep doing what your doing training wise & when the new course is announced you will wonder why you were worrying so much.

I'm not sure about that but the thing that surprises me about the supposed proposed route is how desolate it is. Miles and miles of stretches over the moors/hills with nobody around.
GrahamO

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:47 am    Post subject: Re: Fretting about IM cut off times if bike course is change Reply with quote

PCP wrote:
......route is how desolate it is. Miles and miles of stretches over the moors/hills with nobody around.

Thats Bolton for you Smile

Its not exactly civilisation ! Rolling Eyes
ed_m

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Fretting about IM cut off times if bike course is change Reply with quote

PCP wrote:

I'm not sure about that but the thing that surprises me about the supposed proposed route is how desolate it is. Miles and miles of stretches over the moors/hills with nobody around.

This sounds great !
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Fretting about IM cut off times if bike course is change Reply with quote

GrahamO wrote:
PCP wrote:
......route is how desolate it is. Miles and miles of stretches over the moors/hills with nobody around.

I'm pretty sure the UAE is desolate, aside from the pockets of 'civilisation' Wink
Whisk

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Fretting about IM cut off times if bike course is change Reply with quote

ed_m wrote:
PCP wrote:

This sounds great !

I suspect that if you are applying for permissions to run a closed road event, desolate roads are exactly what you want. Maximum road closure for minimum disruption to the locals.
PCP

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Fretting about IM cut off times if bike course is change Reply with quote

GrahamO wrote:
PCP wrote:

Apart from all the parts I'm talking about aren't in Bolton Rolling Eyes
PCP

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Fretting about IM cut off times if bike course is change Reply with quote

Whisk wrote:
ed_m wrote:
PCP wrote:

This sounds great !

I suspect that if you are applying for permissions to run a closed road event, desolate roads are exactly what you want. Maximum road closure for minimum disruption to the locals.

Some are busy roads, just no houses on them as they go over moorland so yes you wouldn't annoy people in their homes.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is there a link to this hill fest?

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: