Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Your Garmin Questions Here
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iwaters

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The strap I had was 2nd hand when I got it and I've used almost daily for 2.5 years. I feel like I have got my moneys worth from it.

Will try the Wahoo as its the same price as a replacement Garmin
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even my Wahoo strap is starting to delaminate a little, and I've had it maybe 4 months; but they are easy to replace for a fiver off Ebay, as it's not integrated. I probably only put it through the machine every fortnight.
ianle

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:26 pm    Post subject: Fenix 3 - Black Screen - Solved Reply with quote

My trusty Fenix 3 recently started to show a black screen. The light button would make a beep and it was still recording, but just nothing on the screen at all. I had noticed that battery life had reduced of the last year and just put that down to age.

The black screen started happening even after a recent full charge. I tried at the hard and soft resets, googling about, seeing if it was an update that had bricked it.

Before the black screen started to appear, I had ordered a replacement battery and some tools to carry it out at home.

I replaced the watch with a Fenix 5X as my daily.

New battery arrived and I replaced it in the Fenix 3 - it took 5 mins.

Watch now fully charged with new battery, holding its charge as new and NO black screen problems.

I hope that helps anyone with a similar problem.

Ian.

Fenix 3 (Sapphire) going up on eBay.
stenard

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Fenix 3 - Black Screen - Solved Reply with quote

ianle wrote:

Watch now fully charged with new battery, holding its charge as new and NO black screen problems.

That is useful to know. Not in a fenix context, but in a 920xt one. How are the batteries connected "under the hood"? You said it took 5mins, so I presume pretty straightforward in just undoing the screws on the backplate and slotting a new battery in?

The 920 is still currently fine, but battery life has fallen a little bit in the past year or so. I have absolutely no reason to upgrade other than for the sake of something new and shiny, so if I know there is likely an easy way to give it a new lease of life in the future, I'll probably just go down that route.
Doca

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Fenix 3 - Black Screen - Solved Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
ianle wrote:

That is useful to know. Not in a fenix context, but in a 920xt one. How are the batteries connected "under the hood"? You said it took 5mins, so I presume pretty straightforward in just undoing the screws on the backplate and slotting a new battery in?

The 920 is still currently fine, but battery life has fallen a little bit in the past year or so. I have absolutely no reason to upgrade other than for the sake of something new and shiny, so if I know there is likely an easy way to give it a new lease of life in the future, I'll probably just go down that route.

Google 920xt battery, looks they just plug in & about 12-13 quid. Tempted myself.
Poet

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally replaced the #@?# Suunto Spartan Trainer Wrist HR with a Forerunner 920XT.

And oh my days! What a difference.
It’s super easy to programme a proper workout using the iOS app then just wire it over to the device. It picks up my HR belt and all the power goodness easily and does what I wanted the Suunto to do.

It’s just like my old FR305 for user intuition, so I’m very pleased.
Just got to test the battery whilst driving now - just set it on record with no auto pause and go about my weekend business until it dies.

Also got a nifty bike mount kit with it, but using that means it sits about a foot off the wrist; so not suitable for daily use.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poet wrote:
just set it on record with no auto pause and go about my weekend business until it dies.

The only trouble with that is that unless you intend to spend all your time outdoors, it will lose GPS signal! It won't last all weekend either, not with GPS on. I think I got about 11:30 out of mine before I got a low battery warning on an Audax. Of course that watch was a few years old, and I got it S/H.
Poet

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
It won't last all weekend either, not with GPS on. I think I got about 11:30 out of mine before I got a low battery warning on an Audax. Of course that watch was a few years old, and I got it S/H.

Yes, that's what I am aiming for, just to get a rough idea of how much life the battery has in it. I got this SH, too, as I couldn't find any brand new ones at a reasonable price.
Whisk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poet wrote:
Just got to test the battery whilst driving now - just set it on record with no auto pause and go about my weekend business until it dies.

Should be good for a few Strava KOMs Wink
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whisk wrote:

Should be good for a few Strava KOMs Wink

Ah, Sidgo. I only realised who you were last night; even I have to admire your work/training balance Laughing
stenard

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poet wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
It won't last all weekend either, not with GPS on. I think I got about 11:30 out of mine before I got a low battery warning on an Audax. Of course that watch was a few years old, and I got it S/H.

Yes, that's what I am aiming for, just to get a rough idea of how much life the battery has in it. I got this SH, too, as I couldn't find any brand new ones at a reasonable price.

If you are indoors, the battery life wont be representative. Like a phone when out of signal, I believe if it's searching for a GPS signal whilst unable to lock onto one, it uses more battery.

I got 14hrs out of my 2+ year old one when I ran a similar test last summer ... a 6hr ride connected to HRM, PM, etc, and then the remainder of the time out on the roof: https://www.instagram.com/p/BkYQk-sFsk4/
Poet

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, cheers.
But if it’s on the roof this would it read HRM/Foot pod?

Surely that’s skewing the test, too?
stenard

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poet wrote:
Ah, cheers.
But if it’s on the roof this would it read HRM/Foot pod?

Standard sensors don't up the drain much at all. Sensors requiring connect IQ apps are a little different (like stryd for example) and they do use a little bit more.

The biggest battery drains are GPS, the backlight on the screen, and vibration/sound alerts.
jibberjim

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poet wrote:

Yep, the way to build confidence in the battery life is to do the ironman, best time is probably a few days before the event - just to make sure it doesn't fade afterwards. It's important to do it in the same location too as GPS demands depend on how difficult it is to get coverage.

So maybe the Thursday before the event, do the full distance on the course, if it stops before the end, you know you need to get another, if it's okay, then you know you'll be okay - unless you feel a bit tired on the day...
Poet

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly, jim!

Best to do an Ironman just to test the watch first.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: