Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
New car dilemma
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Off-Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leahnp

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject: New car dilemma Reply with quote

Morning
I'm trading in my old car for a load lugger. I currently have a 5 year old Audi A4 avant but need 2/3 proper seats in the back and sufficient space in the back when the seats are dropped for my TT bike. It's fully paid up and I'm keen to dispose of before it gets expensive to service and repair.
I used to drive 450+ miles a week but now that is reduced to 150 a week so I can compromise a little on the performance aspect.
I have looked at the Nissan Qashquai and the Honda CRV, Volvo XC 60 so generally the small to mid size SUV range.
I'm relaxed enough to drop down from the marques as my is keen for car not to stand out when parked at home as it did when I originally purchased the Audi.

Any suggestions appreciated
Leahn
Gus

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for the Qashqai - I had one and absolutely loved it.

XC60 is a good car but IMHO the V70/XC70 is/are more economical, faster, MASSIVELY BIGGER BOOT and a bit cheaper. Yes, they're being phased out so depends on your budget. I've had all 3 of these and the 70's still remain one of my favourite/practical cars ever. Maybe consider the V60 as well?

What's your budget?

My 15 minutes of fame
jibberjim

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kia Niro - there is no other car for a triathlon forum surely?
hammerer

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We looked and test drove an XC60 which was ok. Ended up with a Discovery sport which is a similar price and the bigger engine version has 7 seats although the rear two are only for kids. Does a job but my old astra estate was bigger in the boot. I could put a bike in with wheels off without dropping the seat. now i need to drop the seats regardless.
tin pot

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our workhorse is a C4GP, huge boot space, a comfortable ride for european trips and no major issues so far.
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
10K ‘18 50:31 '16 54:01 '13 54:46
leahnp

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers all, Gus my budget is around 23-24k and a car that is a 16 plate. Had a look at the contract deals but I like owning outright so would be a cash buyer/trade in as I tend to refresh every 4/5 years
Had tested a land rover 110 but the wife says no so it has to be capable of the continental trips etc.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: New car dilemma Reply with quote

leahnp wrote:

keen for car not to stand out when parked at home as it did when I originally purchased the Audi.

A4 letting the neighbourhood down was it? Wink

The problem with getting a 'lesser marque' at that price point, is that it will depreciate like a lead balloon. Far better to get a premium brand that will have some residual value when you come to sell it. You could get a year old Merc/BMW, or a brand new Kia.....

I just checked AT website. Top of your budget will net you a 520d Touring. We've got one, they are massive, and very subtle too. Good residuals & running costs, pretty frugal on a run to Scotland (350 miles/46mpg fully loaded up @ 80-85 mph). We've gone up to the in-laws for Xmas with all our usual belongings (4 of us) plus the Xmas presents, and my bike (wheels & bars off) laid flat on top...and I can still see out of the rear window! Dude - why are you still here.....
awildt

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Qashqai is great but...

The resale value is disintegrating. Too many on the road and rubbish service at Nissan dealers.
Not entirely convinced about its reliability although I'm keeping mine for another year or 2 and have had it 3 years. Cars aren't made to last these days.
The boot is not massive. My partners VW Jetta is considerably bigger although less convenient for bikes. My TT bike (frame size M) fits in the Qashqai with seats down and no wheels off.
The fuel economy in a Qashqai (petrol) is disappointing, would only go for diesel version if I got another.

Have driven the X-Trail a couple of times now and I did enjoy that. Would consider the diesel model. Maybe a 16 plate could be found for a decent price.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Dad has a Nissan Cashcow, and he regrets buying it. He's going back to petrol too after this apparently. Seriously, if you're going to spend £24k on a car, you have to choose very carefully.

Our other car is a 10 year old Subaru Legacy Tourer (3.0R Spec B), I bought from new; I took such a huge kick in the slats on that financially (3L petrol when Govt were pushing diesel), I just keep it as a cautionary reminder. Great car though Sprint
fruit thief

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another Citroen C4 Grand Picasso owner here. It's alright, nothing special. Unusually tall / big windscreen is quite nice. Interior feels cheap. Which it was. Well below your budget, you could probably get two.

Does the job OK, carrying family & hangers on & their bikes. With roof bars and towbars we can carry up to 7 people and 7 bikes, but admittedly that makes for a crowded functional drive rather than a pleasurable one.
fat buddha

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we went from a BMW 318D M-sports estate to a Ford Kuga 2.0D. the change was mainly as we were fed up of the sports suspension on the Beemer on sh1te Zuzzex roads, and went for a SUV that could manage the potholes etc much more comfortably.

however, I'm surprised that the load carrying of the Kuga seems less than the BMW - probably due to internal length. I could get 2 bikes (front wheels off) in the Beemer with no problem; the Kuga will take them but it's a bit more tricky to get them in.

otherwise, no problem with the Ford - I was reluctant at first but it's actually a pleasure to drive
mw22

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I brought an x-trail 2 years back - that was £27k new, so assume should easily get one within budget.

I went to the dealer with bike in tow and the X-trail swallows the bike without even taking a wheel off. Bar the silly high seat post I have, the bike would go in up-right with the front wheel off.

Only have the 1.6 diesel - so its a little slow (probably the only negative I have on it). But MPG is well over 50 and its been flawless - not a single issue after 26ish months.

Enough toys inside, was only 4 specs when I chose which made it nice and simple.

For a large/tall car - there's little body roll. Doesn't feel too big to drive and the all around cameras are excellent for parking and such.

Can't really fault it..
Mike
Wheezy

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a CRV, 2ltr petrol. It's a great workhorse of a car but the mpg isn't great.
Gus

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: New car dilemma Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
leahnp wrote:

keen for car not to stand out when parked at home as it did when I originally purchased the Audi.
I just checked AT website. Top of your budget will net you a 520d Touring. We've got one, they are massive, and very subtle too. Good residuals & running costs, pretty frugal on a run to Scotland (350 miles/46mpg fully loaded up @ 80-85 mph). We've gone up to the in-laws for Xmas with all our usual belongings (4 of us) plus the Xmas presents, and my bike (wheels & bars off) laid flat on top...and I can still see out of the rear window! Dude - why are you still here.....

This was my immediate suggestion seeing your budget as well.

I have the saloon version of the 520d - awesome car and cannot fault it. Fabulous to drive, comfortable, economical, luxurious etc...

Mine's 6yrs old now and funnily enough I'm in the market for a new car around your budget too - couldn't believe these fall into the range but they do. See:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201704204585923?model=5%20SERIES&make=BMW&price-to=25000&body-type=Estate&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&postcode=ab314fg&advertising-location=at_cars&sort=sponsored&year-from=2016&radius=100&page=1

as an example (up here in Scotland). You really can't go far wrong with one of these. Also in your favour, the new 5 series launched in February is a major redesign of the car so dealerships are trying to shift the 'old' versions as fast as possible so you're likely to get a bit of a deal.

As Jorgan says, seriously, why are you still here?

Wink

My 15 minutes of fame
chickenboy

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming Mrs May gets her way, isn't she planning to give diesel cars a good kick in the nuts? I've got an 2012 A6 avant, great car and space for bike kit, but seriously thinking of changing to a petrol BMW 5 series touring.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Off-Topic All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: