Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Boiler Fan - Worcester 24i
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Off-Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Iain

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:50 am    Post subject: Boiler Fan - Worcester 24i Reply with quote

My boiler started making really bad noises the other day and then stopped working, the fan appears to have seized up.

I took a look at it, and found that having given it a spin it started working again, but makes one hell of a noise - the bearings are knackered.

Is replacing the fan something I can do myself, or is it something I should get a professional to do? It doesn't look hard, and a new fan's about £60, but I dread to think what the installation costs will be.

Having recently been made redundant, I'm quite keen on saving money at the moment, but not at the expense of safety etc.
2 scheds

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's a straight swap out, plug n play stylee then I wouldn't have thought you need to worry too much.

If you have to deassmeble a load of parts before you get to the fan, or need to undo any sort of pipe work, then it's a job for a pro.

Have you posted on BoilerTalk.co.uk (or similar) for more advice?
atomiclama

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no expert but I have stripped a few boilers down and replaced a few parts, nothing was that hard, bit tricky at times and having the instruction manual around helps to find that one screw hidden round tha back that stops something comming out.

If you are handy with tools then give it ago, it's broke so what's the worst you can do? obviously staying away from the gas connections.

You said that you could spin the fan to get it going, so it must be accessible. If you want to save money, try a bit of oil on the bearings before replacing the fan.
Edale Skyline 5:10, Cholmondeley 2:55, SLMM 13:33, Howard 2:54, Wasdale 8:48 +?
2015: Lets see if I break
Edale Skyline 4:57, Wasdale X 18:55, SLMM +?
The Iain

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

atomiclama wrote:

You said that you could spin the fan to get it going, so it must be accessible. If you want to save money, try a bit of oil on the bearings before replacing the fan.

Tried that, and it seemed to work, but now makes a screeching noise!
atomiclama

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What type of oil? anything too thin or evaporates after (WD40) and it don't make alot of difference.

Any 3-in-1, little bit of engine oil, around?
mikeaver

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how much is the safety of your family worth to you? buy the fan yourself and get a qualified gas safe engineer to fit it. It should not take longer than an hour and he will make sure it is working safely. The fan gets rid of the fumes and prevents the leakage of dangerous carbon monoxide!!
haych_seedy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikeslow wrote:
how much is the safety of your family worth to you? buy the fan yourself and get a qualified gas safe engineer to fit it. It should not take longer than an hour and he will make sure it is working safely. The fan gets rid of the fumes and prevents the leakage of dangerous carbon monoxide!!

Agree with this 100%. I will screw with a lot of things myself but not gas or mains electrics
The Iain

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having had a bit more of a look, I conclude that the last two posters are correct.

A change in choice of lube seems to have got it going again, but it's basically FUBAR. Shouldn't be too bad to replace, surely? It's a ~£60 part and to put it in requires undoing four screws, two hoses, and two power attachments, then putting the new one in and doing them up again.

That's what bugs me about it; very simple, very easy to do, but the nagging doubt that maybe I've done it wrong...
atomiclama

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your call, only you know how confident you are to do the job. But I think you have already answered that.

Quote:
but the nagging doubt that maybe I've done it wrong...

Limpoldman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a qualified gas man, so ill inform you.

Fan change is a very simple job but as others have said the fan is a vital part of your boilers combustion. Just by taking the case of you could of disturbed combustion therefore meaning you need to be gas safe to work on it. Worst case scenario is a 10000 pound fine or upto 2 years in jail.

Now I've told you the politics, if you have replaced the fan and its squealing there's something in it that shouldn't be. So either you've brought a dodgy fan or its sucking something in it. If you haven't replaced the fan a qualified experienced engineer would remove the fan strip and clean it and oil it put it back in and 9 times out of ten they are fine.

If you need any advice pm me
The Iain

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Limpoldman wrote:
Worst case scenario is a 10000 pound fine or upto 2 years in jail.

Crikey!

Well, I've had a good experience with a local chap so have been trying to get in contact with him (voice mail so far).

I know that long-run the boiler is knackered, and it was on my "things to get fixed this summer" list, but then my pesky boss decided I was no longer required.
Tony Stark

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bearings run on grease, not oil. Putting oil in just washes out what little grease remains and turns everything into a nice grinding paste.
Limpoldman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony Stark wrote:
Bearings run on grease, not oil. Putting oil in just washes out what little grease remains and turns everything into a nice grinding paste.

Comes in a bottle called fan oil. Whether its oil or grease is irrelevant isn't it?
Nobbie

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replace yourself and then get it serviced to make sure it's all good. Let's face it if the fan in fubared at the moment then it's already unsafe according to earlier posters. When was it last serviced?
K.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobbie wrote:
Replace yourself and then get it serviced to make sure it's all good. Let's face it if the fan in fubared at the moment then it's already unsafe according to earlier posters. When was it last serviced?

Don't do this ^^^^^
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Off-Topic All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: