Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Di2 fitting to road bikes aerobars.....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RookieSam

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:38 pm    Post subject: Di2 fitting to road bikes aerobars..... Reply with quote

Afternoon all,

Wonder if I can pick some brains.... I have a Giant Propel Adv with Di2 and use aero bars for long distance stuff (no budget for a Tri bike too).

I've been thinking and it looks doable, if I had aero bars with pop off ends I could simply run some Di2 TT shifters to the ends and change my 3 junction to a 5 junction box meaning I can change gear on the aero or normal bars....

Firstly, is this possible and what am I looking for in terms of compatibility? My current 3 junction box says EW90-A on it?

Alternatively, in my normal handle bars, I peeled off the rubber and it looks as though there are 2 ports free, is this a goer?

Any advice/questions for me to check would be much appreciated!

Cheers
Tahr

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did exactly that with my Giant TCR, it meant I had shifters on the TT bars and where the brakes where so I could change gear when climbing or in the TT position.

Fitness forged in the furnace of competition.
RookieSam

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tahr, what was your setup before and what did you do to complete it? Worth it etc?
mattsurf

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Di2 fitting to road bikes aerobars..... Reply with quote

RookieSam wrote:
Afternoon all,

Wonder if I can pick some brains.... I have a Giant Propel Adv with Di2 and use aero bars for long distance stuff (no budget for a Tri bike too).

I've been thinking and it looks doable, if I had aero bars with pop off ends I could simply run some Di2 TT shifters to the ends and change my 3 junction to a 5 junction box meaning I can change gear on the aero or normal bars....

Firstly, is this possible and what am I looking for in terms of compatibility? My current 3 junction box says EW90-A on it?

Alternatively, in my normal handle bars, I peeled off the rubber and it looks as though there are 2 ports free, is this a goer?

Any advice/questions for me to check would be much appreciated!

Cheers

With a 5 port junction box it is 100% feasible, and works well, however, you will also require to configure the setup with the shimano e-tube project software, best bet is to get a bike shop to do this or hire the connection kit (my bike shop charged £20 to let me borrow the connection kit). Not Shimano e-tube project not compatible with Apple mac, you will need a PC

I believe that it will also work wiring directly to the spare port in the shifters, hence no need to buy junction box, however, I cant recall if the cable from the bar end shifter is long enough (I think it is, but worth checking) and if you want to take the TT bars off regularly (because they do look ugly) you will need to re-wrap the bar tape every time.
RookieSam

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the thorough answer. OK, as I thought, so please correct me if I'm way off here...... to purchase then (and please advise me if I'm way off......)

Di2 5 junction box
TT bars with end caps that come off
Di2 TT shifters with enough wiring back to the box (such as this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SHIMANO-DURA-ACE-DI2-SW-R671-TT-TRI-Bar-end-SHIFTERS-11-SPEED/123640600367?hash=item1cc98dd72f:g:1UkAAOSw3eRcYWnq:rk:4:pf:1&frcectupt=true

Then simply drop it to my local bike shop for setup? As you say, I take the bars off because they are FUGLY so the junction box is the better option!
stenard

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand why matt is suggesting you need the help of a bike shop? I just plug my battery charger into my laptop, open up the etube software, and can then setup whatever I want. The main upside of di2 is how I see it as plug and play.

I got the new battery, and inline Bluetooth piece, and just stuck them in the system, and it was all good to go.

Unless I'm missing something?
mattsurf

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
I don't understand why matt is suggesting you need the help of a bike shop? I just plug my battery charger into my laptop, open up the etube software, and can then setup whatever I want. The main upside of di2 is how I see it as plug and play.

I got the new battery, and inline Bluetooth piece, and just stuck them in the system, and it was all good to go.

Good point, It depends on what age Di2 you have, mine had Di2 with external battery, I didn't realise that you can plug battery charger directly into PC, if that it is the case, it removes an element of hassle from the process
stenard

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, ok. I forget about external batteries. For internal ones, the charger doubles up as the software update cable
mattsurf

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RookieSam wrote:
Hi Matt,

Thanks for the thorough answer. OK, as I thought, so please correct me if I'm way off here...... to purchase then (and please advise me if I'm way off......)

Di2 5 junction box
Di2 TT shifters with enough wiring back to the box (such as this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SHIMANO-DURA-ACE-DI2-SW-R671-TT-TRI-Bar-end-SHIFTERS-11-SPEED/123640600367?hash=item1cc98dd72f:g:1UkAAOSw3eRcYWnq:rk:4:pf:1&frcectupt=true

Then simply drop it to my local bike shop for setup? As you say, I take the bars off because they are FUGLY so the junction box is the better option!

It is a simple job to do yourself, unless you are really uncertain, there is not much that can go wrong

Those shifters on ebay look right

You will need the 5 port box

You need clip on tri bars with plugs in the end, they are standard diameter. I had a pair of Profile Design Clip on Bars, they also had a small hole 75% of the way down the bar that the cable fed through. These are the bars I had

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Profile-Design/Carbon-Stryke-Aerobar/GS

Do you currently have clip on tri bars? if not do you know that your current bars are suitable for clip on tri bars? many of the bars with an aerodynamic profile are not suitable / or require special mount from manufacturer, if you have round alloy bars then they are fine (I needed to change my bars)
RookieSam

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
RookieSam wrote:
Hi Matt,

Di2 5 junction box

It is a simple job to do yourself, unless you are really uncertain, there is not much that can go wrong

Those shifters on ebay look right

You will need the 5 port box

You need clip on tri bars with plugs in the end, they are standard diameter. I had a pair of Profile Design Clip on Bars, they also had a small hole 75% of the way down the bar that the cable fed through. These are the bars I had

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Profile-Design/Carbon-Stryke-Aerobar/GS

Do you currently have clip on tri bars? if not do you know that your current bars are suitable for clip on tri bars? many of the bars with an aerodynamic profile are not suitable / or require special mount from manufacturer, if you have round alloy bars then they are fine (I needed to change my bars)

See below, does this seem legit?

I have clip on try bars but they aren't comfy so going to get some proper ones which the arm rests can be moved so something like the Profile Design series i.e...... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Profile-Design-T1-Triathlon-bars/401700187222?hash=item5d87326c56:g:FlwAAOSw8zRcVu8~:rk:14:pf:0

Noted on the 5 port box to replace my 3 port.

My Di2 is as per the below bike, there's a bulge on the outside guessing it's the battery? I have a laptop and if anything can be connected I'd of course give it a try or is this a solid no go?

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/propel-advanced-0-2016
RookieSam

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:

See above link Stenard = It's 2016 Di2 and I run the D-Fly too at the back for gearing info on my Wahoo
stenard

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RookieSam wrote:
See below, does this seem legit?

I have clip on try bars but they aren't comfy so going to get some proper ones which the arm rests can be moved so something like the Profile Design series i.e...... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Profile-Design-T1-Triathlon-bars/401700187222?hash=item5d87326c56:g:FlwAAOSw8zRcVu8~:rk:14:pf:0

Noted on the 5 port box to replace my 3 port.

My Di2 is as per the below bike, there's a bulge on the outside guessing it's the battery? I have a laptop and if anything can be connected I'd of course give it a try or is this a solid no go?

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/propel-advanced-0-2016

RookieSam wrote:
See above link Stenard = It's 2016 Di2 and I run the D-Fly too at the back for gearing info on my Wahoo

The handlebars on that look "normal", so those profile design clip ons should be fine.

I would imagine that bike has the battery in the seatpost. Do you currently charge the battery by just plugging into the junction box and hooking up to a power supply?

Which D-fly do you have? The original EWW01 or either of the newer EW-WU111 / EW-WU101? Based on 2016, I'm probably guessing the former. In which case you wont be able to do setup stuff without a computer (but using the same battery charging cable you plug into the junction box).
RookieSam

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got D-Fly EWW01

I charge up the battery plugging into the junction box then into a USB into the wall.....

I have a laptop at home so presumably just need some software?! Is it really that simple?

Much appreciated for all your help here.

Sam
stenard

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, if you already have the internal battery charger, then it's a piece of cake. You just need to download the etube software.

Surprised you haven't done that already to be honest ... I tweaked around with the shift settings on my TT bike the moment I got it.

And as I said before, everything else is plug and play. When I replaced my battery, I just unplugged the original one, plugged in the new one, loaded up etube, and it recognised the new component immediately. With new shifters, I wouldn't be surprised if they just worked straight away without any setup whatsoever, but within etube you'll be able to select which new shifter button does what.
mattsurf

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like it should be a completely straight forward job. With mine it did not recognize the shifters, but as soon as I plugged in e-tube project it picked them up

The other advantage of the e-tube project sw is that it allows you to do firmware upgrade, there have been some changes to improve shift quality and improve battery life
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: