Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Wallliseller Triathlon

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mattsurf

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:16 pm    Post subject: Wallliseller Triathlon Reply with quote

First event of the year done - Walliseller sprint Triathlon. Being the first National event of the year, 1371 athletes took part.... making the bike leg somewhat busy

I awoke this morning to heavy snow falling, which is a new triathlon experience for me. Luckily the organisers decided that T1 would not be timed to give competitors a chance to change into dry warm cycling clothes.

In true swiss style, the roads were clear and safe, but weather was interesting, 2 degrees, with snow, sleet and rain falling

The bike leg was interesting, the cold wet weather and carbon rims meant I had almost no effective braking. This combined with a very crowded (think zwift) 3 lap technical course lead to a number of heart stopping moments, and one minor collision (overtaking at the 180 degree turn round point). With disc brakes I would certainly have been able to save a good chunk of time. My bike AP was 318W, massively higher than any race I have ever done, with an NP of 354W, and a new FTP of 315W.

Any worries that a mega bike effort would destroy my run were quickly put to rest with a 15:27 4km run, with 246m elevation, easily my quickest run.... in fact I felt so fresh at the end that I probably could have gone quicker at the start.

My swim was disappointing, a few seconds faster than last year, but I seeded myself too slow and ended up having to pass lots of slower swimmers.

Overall,completed in 55m7s (600m swim, 16km bike, 4km run), adjusted for no T1, saved 3m45s on last year's time, 5th in AG, 30th overall. Conditions last year were almost perfect, so time difference is pretty significant

I am no sprint distance triathlete, so pretty happy with the result

On a final note, Vapor Fly was brilliant to run in off the bike, however, my T2 was 30s slower than those ahead of me.... and that would have moved me into 3rd in AG
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good work Mr Surf.

Nicely toughed out.
Buzz_

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Wallliseller Triathlon Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
On a final note, Vapor Fly was brilliant to run in off the bike, however, my T2 was 30s slower than those ahead of me.... and that would have moved me into 3rd in AG

Was the slow T2 related tot he vapourfly? How?

Good result overall for a non-sprinter.
mattsurf

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Wallliseller Triathlon Reply with quote

Buzz_ wrote:
mattsurf wrote:

Was the slow T2 related tot he vapourfly? How?

T2 wasn`t that awful, 1:37, however people ahead did T2 in 1:03, 1:12, 1:27 and 1:47 (fastest to slowest), I felt that it was difficult sliding wet sock into the shoe and pulling up the heal, may have cost me 10 seconds per shoe. In the context of an IM not a big deal

Would be interested to hear feedback from other people who have run in the Vaporfly off the bike, I found them to be absolutely brilliant.... normally my legs feel a bit soft initially, however, with the Vaporfly they had a "bounce" immediately out of T2
mattsurf

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Wallliseller Triathlon Reply with quote

Buzz_ wrote:

Thanks, I also found it much less painful than last year too.

If I can replicate that improvement over a HIM, I should be down to around 4:40
Buzz_

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Wallliseller Triathlon Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
I felt that it was difficult sliding wet sock into the shoe and pulling up the heal, may have cost me 10 seconds per shoe.

That's your issue. No socks in a sprint tri!
mattsurf

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Wallliseller Triathlon Reply with quote

Buzz_ wrote:
mattsurf wrote:
I felt that it was difficult sliding wet sock into the shoe and pulling up the heal, may have cost me 10 seconds per shoe.

No socks when it is 2 degrees and snowing wasn't an option I was prepared to consider
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Wallliseller Triathlon Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:

What happened to 4:30?

Your swim time bodes well for Hamburg....for me Very Happy Wink
mattsurf

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Wallliseller Triathlon Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
mattsurf wrote:

What happened to 4:30?

Your swim time bodes well for Hamburg....for me Very Happy Wink

That is my point, Based on my first event of the year, I see a good gain, but probably not at 4:30 pace

Swim was disappointing, so long as I get a good draft in the Lake in Hamburg, hopefully I will be out of the water no more than 10 min behind you
Jorgan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Wallliseller Triathlon Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
Swim was disappointing, so long as I get a good draft in the Lake in Hamburg, hopefully I will be out of the water no more than 10 min behind you

Rolling start I presume, so we'll have to start in the same 'wave', and get Jeff in there too Smile
stenard

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Wallliseller Triathlon Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
Buzz_ wrote:
mattsurf wrote:

No socks when it is 2 degrees and snowing wasn't an option I was prepared to consider

Check out Kristian Blummenfelt's strava from yesterday's WTS race for what happened to him running in 4%'s sockless Shocked
mattsurf

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch, socks for me on the run
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Wallliseller Triathlon Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
mattsurf wrote:
Buzz_ wrote:
mattsurf wrote:

Check out Kristian Blummenfelt's strava from yesterday's WTS race for what happened to him running in 4%'s sockless Shocked

Funny old thing, I just posted about that on the 4% thread - that I think even 5k sockless might be painful, after just wearing them around the kitchen!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: