Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
The sub-17/18 min 5k thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 50, 51, 52  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AJ

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: The sub-17/18 min 5k thread Reply with quote

It had to happen....

I've been reading the sub-20 min 5k thread which makes for very interesting reading, but couldn't help but notice that there are a fair few members on here who are comfortably inside 20 mins but still looking for some extra speed (perhaps looking to break 17/18mins). I know that a similar thread was made a while ago (called something like 'the faster 5k thread'), but I thought I'd get the ball rolling in 2012 for those of us who want to bash out some rapid times this year. I haven't raced a flat 5k for ages, but my training would suggest that I'm probably in the kind of shape that would see me finish in about 17.30 (at least I hope so!). I'm keen to get this as close to 17 mins as possible come summer. Anyone else got a similar goal this year?
Crozza

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would like to get under 16:30 on the track, current PB is 16:48.

Not too many opportunities to do so, so I am trying to work out another target for our local equivalent of the park run (where my current PB is 17:04)
AJ

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crozza wrote:
Would like to get under 16:30 on the track, current PB is 16:48.

Not too many opportunities to do so, so I am trying to work out another target for our local equivalent of the park run (where my current PB is 17:04)

Sounds like you're a bit closer to the mark than I am then! What sort of stuff will you be doing over the next couple of months to try and dip inside 17 mins?
2 scheds

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually only race one 5k per year and last time out managed 19:10

So, yes this year 18:xx for sure!

There is a track not far from my house that I haven't yet used in my training - I think I will this year though. This and the Macmillian calculator should hopefully help to hone some speed.

Cool
ironchimp

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

God yes. I've been hanging around 19:xx for over a year and I just can't to seem to make a dent in it. I'd be interested in tapping into the collective wisdom

Current form: Did my first parkrun for 3 months in 20:26 last week at Wanstead flats (parkland) so off to Hackney (tarmac) this Sat to see if it was running on grass / my health that caused the outlier, or whether it's my legs.

Current training: Whilst I can't get the time to get the milage back up to last Easters levels, for the last 4 weeks I've now focusing on quality sessions - 10k pace run/5k pace run/end run with some strides at the end. This is coming off the back of a HIM and subsequent 3 week break.

Goal is 18:xx by late May, sub 18 by Sept.

Last edited by ironchimp on Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
NickF

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did a low 19 last year, looking to dip inside 18 this year, maybe 17:30 at a push.

Whats the current thinking on speedwork versus mileage?

My favourite speed session is 6x1600m on the track going off 10mins. Last year (just before my low 19) I peaked at an average of 5:50/rep. I had quite a long break after that but now I'm back running some decent mileage and will test myself again this weekend - I expect so be somewhere around the 6min mark, but it depends how fatigued my legs are from the last two weeks running (6.5hrs last week, 4hrs already this week).

Do you think I would be better off reducing the mileage and being able to hit the speedwork hard, or is it all about miles in the legs at this time of year?
AJ

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be interested to know what sort of mileage you guys are running on a weekly basis? I try to get an absolute minimum of 20 miles in, but usually get around 28ish. A lot of advice would suggest that this just isn't enough if I want to go sub-17. I think I could maybe get another 5-10 miles in if I really had to, but then my swimming and biking would start to suffer!
AJ

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickF wrote:
Did a low 19 last year, looking to dip inside 18 this year, maybe 17:30 at a push.

Whats the current thinking on speedwork versus mileage?

Seems like you posted just as I was writing my post! I think speedwork has been the real difference for me. I'm currently doing sessions like 4x1mile with 2 mins recovery (usually hitting around 5.35-5.40) and 6x800m with 1.30 recovery (trying to hit 2.35-2.40). I will normally do one of these sessions per week, with a tempo run of about 25mins and a long run of 10-12 miles. If I have time, I'll whack in another steady/tempo run as well. So my mileage is pretty low in comparison to some, but I do feel like the quality speedwork is more beneficial than churning out loads of slow miles...
knighty76

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will keep an eye on this. Parkrun PB 18:36 ish slightly undulating so prob 18:00 ish on the track, would like to go closer to 17.

Favourite speed session is pyramid 400, 800, 1200, 1600, 1200, 800, 400 off about 1:20 per lap with rest = 1 minute after 400s and 800s, 90s after 1200s and 1600s.
knighty76

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS should mention that my A race is IM Austria this year so not entirely consistent with my main goal, but I'm a firm believer in track speed improving form and economy over distance.
KingstonGraham

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good - am just about sub-19 regularly now at Kingston parkrun, without much interval work. In my heart of hearts, I think sub 18 is possible if I really want it, but it's going to be hard work.
ironchimp

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WM=SS wrote:
I'd be interested to know what sort of mileage you guys are running on a weekly basis? I try to get an absolute minimum of 20 miles in, but usually get around 28ish. A lot of advice would suggest that this just isn't enough if I want to go sub-17. I think I could maybe get another 5-10 miles in if I really had to, but then my swimming and biking would start to suffer!

About the same for me also, on both the milage and the bike/swim training fronts
jeffm

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WM=SS wrote:

Very little running at the moment, maybe once a month or so. For me training is all about the bike as that seems to give me good enough training to run 17.xx times.
I can't cope with 'training' for running as reccurant injury always returns. It must be something about the way I ride/ run that the more I cycle the better my running is.
2Tri

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow you guys are soo fast! I ran my PB last week of 22.48 which was literally 100% of all my effort Sad wonder how I can drop to sub 20!
Shaggy.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been floundering around the low 18 mark for way too long now. Although I run quite regularly - 4 to 5 times a week - I guess I don't do enough miles, nor enough speedwork (is the sprint at the end of a parkrun speedwork?). Did I mention that I'm too old and not really built for running. I think there's anough excuses there now Wink

I'm focusing on some longer races this year, so hoping that the increase in volume - with the occasional Z4 interval - will help push me over the 18 minute threshold.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 50, 51, 52  Next
Page 1 of 52

Jump to: