Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Changing a tub in a race?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Foggo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:08 am    Post subject: Changing a tub in a race? Reply with quote

For those that still use tubs & use tape to stick mount them, what do you do and carry for a spare in case of a flat, especially during a race?
Do you have a spare with tape on it or pre glued? Its difficult to pre tape a tub!

Im sure the majority of the time the tape will come off the rim when you pull the tub off so whats the solution for the spare tub and how do you ensure its secure.
mattsurf

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take a Tufo 135g track tyre, with tufo tape pre-attached. rolled up it is roughly the size of 2 inner tubes. Also carry a blade to cut the old tyre as this makes removal much faster

I normally carry with Velcro strap under the saddle
Foggo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
I take a Tufo 135g track tyre, with tufo tape pre-attached. rolled up it is roughly the size of 2 inner tubes. Also carry a blade to cut the old tyre as this makes removal much faster

Thanks..do you already take the backing off the tape? How do you manage to rollit up without the tape sticking to itself etc?
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best thing is to use an 'old' stretched tub that's in good condition. Mount it on a wheel, ride it, then leave it on the wheel for a while to 'set'. When you remove it, tape should stay on tyre. I use the Jantex 76 now; supposedly only for alloy rims, but without tempting fate, 4 seasons & counting....it's much thinner than the white Jantex stuff too, so better crr.

A timely reminder that I need to do this again; I use a Tufo too (S3 Lite) as they roll-up small and mine has puncture belt. Fits in Trek draft box with 2x CO2 and an inflator. I need to find or buy another valve 'wrench' too, as I ride 808/disc, so would need to remove the extender for the disc.
mattsurf

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foggo wrote:
mattsurf wrote:

Thanks..do you already take the backing off the tape? How do you manage to rollit up without the tape sticking to itself etc?

No I leave the backing on the tape. I put the tape on the wheel with all backing in place, then I put the tyre on the wheel, inflate tyre and make sure it is seated well, then pull off the backing from the tape, so that it sticks to tyre (but not to rim. I leave the tyre in place for 24 hours to stretch. Then deflate tyre and remove it from the rim. The tape still has backing on it so will not stick to rim.

As Jorgan points out, make sure you pack a valve wrench if you have deep section wheels
ttowel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used inflation foam from Decathlon. Worked a treat with an extra Co2.

Trick I use with tubs is to glue the tape on to the rim, then run your hands around the exposed tape with dirty/greasy hands

There is enough tack to keep the tyre on with high pressure, but it then rips off easily and leaves the tape behind.
Poet

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tufo track tub as a spare (I’ve used it twice in a year, roll on cheapo Decathlon Vitoria Strada tyres for training)

Like Jorgan, I now use the red Jantex tape. Much smaller, less sticky and holds the tires on.

Remember - you can only use the rapid inflate repair stuff if you have proper valve extenders (one with a tub that has a removable head) and not the ones you just put on top of the tub valve.

I second the Decathlon stuff, think it’s £2.49 a can and it works. They also sell CO2 for cheap.
Wheezy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As another related, but slightly off thread point, how do people carry spare tubs on the bike? whenever I've done it I've ended up wit ha great big, horrible loopy thing sticking out the back of the saddle. Would like to be a bit more aero when carrying a spare.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheezy wrote:
As another related, but slightly off thread point, how do people carry spare tubs on the bike? whenever I've done it I've ended up wit ha great big, horrible loopy thing sticking out the back of the saddle. Would like to be a bit more aero when carrying a spare.

I can squeeze a Tufo S3 Lite into my Trek Draft Box, plus an inflator, valve key & 2x CO2 canisters. That then means I can zip tie a cage to my saddle. Before I had the trek, I used a dual cage mount behind the saddle; one for spares, one for a bottle. For important events, I also have a small multi tool in my bento box (very light Specialized EMT with a T25 Torx iirc).
SGreg

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheezy wrote:

I use a cutdown bottle with the Tube Stuffed into it. I place this in the Downtube Bottle holder.

I run only one bottle for drinking, Replaced at ever Aid station is more than enough for most races. But you could always use a seat bottle holder too. But I like my bike cleaner. Or maybe an aero bottle would solve it.

I really don't drink more than a bottle per Aid Station though. If it's hot I grab a water bottle, guzzle half, dump the rest over me and then drop before I have left the Aid "zone"

I am sure people drink or at least carry far too much fluid during an Ironman. I see people with 4 bottles, when would you have time to drink all that? Unless it's hot I barely get one bottle down between aid stations!
stenard

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGreg wrote:
I am sure people drink or at least carry far too much fluid during an Ironman. I see people with 4 bottles, when would you have time to drink all that? Unless it's hot I barely get one bottle down between aid stations!

Completely off topic, but, yes in some ways you are correct. I frequently come back with excess fluid. But I want my own, not on course stuff. If I was doing a really hilly IM then I'd reassess, and likely use the PH tablets rather than pre-mixed bottles using the powder, but on a flat course carrying all my own fluid really doesnt come with any significant penalty.
Symes

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheezy wrote:

Put mine between the aero bars last time out, didn't feel too stable when pushing the bike from the saddle going through transition but fine while cycling.

Stronger mind and muscles than joints, what a b@stard
Poet

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tufo S3 lite ones are tiny rolled up.
As are track tubs, no more than an inner tube.

You can get everything you need in a 750ml bottle.
I used to just shove it all in.

Was a right faff to get out, but if you puncture in a race, it’s generally target time over.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poet wrote:
The Tufo S3 lite ones are tiny rolled up.
As are track tubs, no more than an inner tube.

You can get everything you need in a 750ml bottle.
I used to just shove it all in. Was a right faff to get out, but if you puncture in a race, it’s generally target time over.

Yeah it's tight sometimes depending on tyre. One solution is to use a sandwich/freezer bag to line the bottle and leave the handles at the top so it's easier to just pull it all out in a oner.
stevemac32

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that if the tyre has been on for a while and you take it off there will still be sticky residue on the rim so I don’t bother putting tape on, I did try it once but the tape on the tyre didn’t work for me, if the pressure is high say a whole 16g gas tube the tyre will stay on just be careful and slow right down on cornering as you don’t want to roll the tub.

Also, top tip when you tape the rim leave a 2” gap opposite the valve hole. When you get a puncture just push the tyre off there and the rest will just peel off easy.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: