Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Health supplements
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakeland_trier

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:56 pm    Post subject: Health supplements Reply with quote

Hi all,

Was just wondering whether anyone else takes a health supplement to help boost their immune systems?

Since upping training etc, I've picked up flu twice, tummy bugs etc in the last 6 months and frankly I'm getting sick of it!! I was wondering if something like 'Wellman Sports' or a similar product would help to try and ward these off slightly.

Does anyone use any of these? Can anyone recommend any products or have any other ideas?

Many thanks.

Gaz
wiganer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of shelling out for stuff like this, why not try a different approach and take a look at what you are eating after your training - both immediately and hours after.

I think if you can manage to get the right recovery foods into you then this helps to keep healthy.

Plenty fruit and veg will help and give you exactly what the pills will give you.
lakeland_trier

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks mate,

Immediately after training I take either protein supplement (Holland and Barrett whey) or Powerbar Recovery Formula.

As far as general diet goes, I always ensure I eat at least 5 portions of F + V every day, which is why I'm confused as to how these blooming illnesses keep getting me down!
Robbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take LOADS of supplements - still not sure if they make a difference.

I do generally feel pretty healthy though and I rarely pick up a cold from work.

It can't do any harm though (other than to the bank balance)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
samwhi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freeze dried Vit C. 1g a day is 1996% of your RDA.

When i take it consistently I am never ill. If i don't take it then its a cold every 3mths or so.

My Blog A year of PBs
mudman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Echinecea to keep colds away & cod liver oil to keep me lubed.

And Marmite to get my Vit. B12. Very Happy
IronVampiro

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hasn't it been proven that Echinecea is a load of rubbish? Confused
mudman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IronVampiro wrote:

I believe there is no proof it works, I just go by the fact that for me I went from having 10-12 colds a year and being the 1st person in the office to get sick, to having 1-2 minor colds and being the only person not to get the latest office bug.*

Smile

* your results may differ
irondog

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mudman wrote:
IronVampiro wrote:

I believe there is no proof it works, I just go by the fact that for me I went from having 10-12 colds a year and being the 1st person in the office to get sick, to having 1-2 minor colds and being the only person not to get the latest office bug.*

Smile

* your results may differ

I have an issue with my hands, no big deal...just a bit of overuse when canoeing as a kid. Its usually ok, but Echinecea makes my hands hurt a lot Sad

I take Garlic, fish oils, Multi vits and Glucosamine/chondroitin.... my joints are a lot older than me..... (my G.P says I have 'old mans's knees'!) and these supplements help
Robbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im sure this was posted by someone on TT recently...

http://www.informationisbeautiful.net/play/snake-oil-supplements/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
MichelleTri

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently got a virus-ey sore throat think. I refused to stop training for long (took 2 days off, one of which was my normal recovery day), took myself to sainsburys and bought metatone vitamin tonic and eccenasia (not sure how to spell it, cant be bothered to check the box - you know what I mean)

Anyways, basically the good news is the virus never got 'bad', I was a bit achey and slightly more tired than normal, the bad news is that a week on and i'm still not 100% better. It somehow seems like i've managed to ward of the horrible symptoms, but my body is struggling to get rid of the little niggles.

Course, it could be that thats just the nature of this virus, but has to be said I tend to take the same course of action whenever I get ill, and I do tend to get really mild symptoms for ages, as opposed to full blown horrible ones, nearly every time...
iwaters

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For immunity its worth looking into Vit D. Vit D is produced when sun hits your skin, but in this country the sun is only strong enough between May - Sep and then if are like me any significant period of time spent in the sun (bike rides) etc you are covered in sun cream which blocks it.

You can't get any significant levels of Vit D from food alone. Fortified cereals probably have some and there is a bit in eggs and fish but not a lot.

There has been some studies recently suggesting higher Vit D levels means increased immunity. Its also needed for health muscles, bones and teeth.

Worth getting a blood test done at the start and then at 6 months of supplementing. Being fat soluble the levels can build although it will take some doing to get them too high.

Mine was really low couple of years ago. I used to regularly get 5-6 colds per year. Since Vit D levels have increased I have had 2 colds in 2 years.

Other vits like b and c etc you should easily get enough from a half decent diet, unless you are vegan then you will need B12 and probably iron supplements also.
Andy916

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robbie wrote:
I take LOADS of supplements - still not sure if they make a difference.

I do generally feel pretty healthy though and I rarely pick up a cold from work.

It can't do any harm though (other than to the bank balance)

It may harm, actually, eg. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/vitamin-b-lung-cancer-supplement-link-risk-b6-b12-a7907026.html

Whilst a few things may be lacking in the modern diet / high latitude lifestyle (Mg, Se, VitD), just eat real food; as unprocessed as possible.
Hiphophopper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Health supplements Reply with quote

Go and see a good nutritionist, (not just a sports one though..) Get your diet and mineral levels checked and only buy the highest quality products you can afford...(NOT Wellman, Holland & Barrett, etc) - it's all about bioavailability.. Lamberts and Solgar are pretty good makes I believe.

lakeland_trier wrote:
Hi all,

Was just wondering whether anyone else takes a health supplement to help boost their immune systems?

Since upping training etc, I've picked up flu twice, tummy bugs etc in the last 6 months and frankly I'm getting sick of it!! I was wondering if something like 'Wellman Sports' or a similar product would help to try and ward these off slightly.

Does anyone use any of these? Can anyone recommend any products or have any other ideas?

Many thanks.

Gaz
JeffB

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's increasing evidence for probiotics\gut health as well, but not the cheap Yakults.

I think the only thing the government suggest is Vit D, particularly outside of May-Sept as previously suggested.

Obviously a good diet but that is harder than it sounds these days unless you have a lot of free time to cook etc.

Also read and been told that magnesium is something people train hard might require (Jonny Brownlee was deficient a few weeks ago), there's lot of foods with it but some mass farmed veg etc. have a lot of the actual goodness removed by pesticides and over farming from what I've been told and read.

Oh, and dark chocolate\cocoa is very good for you.

The whole nutrition field is a very contradictory IMO, yes obviously fruit\veg etc., but then you get conflicting advice on things like eggs, full fat dairy and it's hard to know who to actually believe sometimes.

Jeff
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: