Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Swissman 2019

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sb20

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:24 pm    Post subject: Swissman 2019 Reply with quote

Whilst on the tritalk i guess I should ask if anyone here is or has done the Swissman. After 5 years trying I have finally got a spot. I suspose I had better learn to swim again. Hopefully Pheonix Tri club can help with that.

But any hints or tips for the race itself woulf be great
First Tri an evening sprint in 2008 done a few since then inc 2x Roth, IM Wales, 2x Celtman, Alps d'Huez Long, O till O, Ceasers Camp 100 x2, Norseman, Ring O Fire, St Oswalds 100, Cambrian trail, 2 Race to the King, UTMB and so it goes on!
tuckandgo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Swissman 2019 Reply with quote

sb20 wrote:
Whilst on the tritalk i guess I should ask if anyone here is or has done the Swissman. After 5 years trying I have finally got a spot. I suspose I had better learn to swim again. Hopefully Pheonix Tri club can help with that.

But any hints or tips for the race itself woulf be great

Did it in 2014.

Probably one of my best races ever.

It's pretty straight forward - weather dependent.

- If you have spent time in the alps on a bike then fine, if not then I can't stress enough that you need some sort of experience or long long relentless climbs. , either the alps in early May or somewhere else. I'd suggest Majorca doesn't cut it. You are looking at 7-9hours on the bike, a lot of it at 7-9%.
- Jog the first 3/4 of the run or you'll be crawling the last 10km - it's basically a steep power walk at best.
- Make sure your support crew knows what it's doing. Particularly for the run if they are driving between stops (a v good tactic if you can is to have someone bike alongside you the whole way handing out food and drink etc. if you can organise that.)

If you want more detailed info am happy to help.
sb20

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super helpful! Thank you

I am thinking of doing the race kn my tt bike, which i find very comfy and is geared for the alps/norseman etc. Inused it for the alps duez long back in 2013. Tell me if this is a bad idea!

What shoes for the run??

I will think of someq’s and drop you a pm if I may?
First Tri an evening sprint in 2008 done a few since then inc 2x Roth, IM Wales, 2x Celtman, Alps d'Huez Long, O till O, Ceasers Camp 100 x2, Norseman, Ring O Fire, St Oswalds 100, Cambrian trail, 2 Race to the King, UTMB and so it goes on!
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed tah tthe XTri lot have just added a new event on the Isle of Man.

That looks quite cool - maybe not quite as 'epic' as the others on the roster - but would be cheaper and easier logistically for Southern UK based athletes.

I really like the look of the Slovakian one as well.
tuckandgo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sb20 wrote:
Super helpful! Thank you

I am thinking of doing the race kn my tt bike, which i find very comfy and is geared for the alps/norseman etc. Inused it for the alps duez long back in 2013. Tell me if this is a bad idea!

What shoes for the run??

I will think of someq’s and drop you a pm if I may?

Sure feel free.

Bike use is honestly just a question of preference. I used a road bike, one of my friends used a tt. I think the consideration is more of the downhill, it's no good taking a TT bike if you have to descend like an old granny.

Run surface is good the whole way so whatever you want.

Both comments are weather dependent - if it's a wet race then you need to adjust accordingly. Weather is obviously often more extreme in the mountains.

Oh and altitude becomes an issue on the bike - you are going well above 2000m and this will eat into your FTP so don't forget to take this into account.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: