Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training
View previous topic :: View next topic  
twhat

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject: Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction Reply with quote

So ive got this. Ive been trying to shake it off all summer, culminating in a month off from running until the weekend just gone. All fine day to day, swim and bike no problem, but the minute i run.. the right hand side of the joint 'sticks' and the next thing i'm tightening up across my lower back and slowing rapidly. Not good for 'a runner'.
Its been diagnosed and successfully treated by an Osteopath .. successful to the point that i try and run that is...
Next step is a physio i guess, i've been trying general strengthening/stretching around the core, and i think maybe Yoga might be a good road to go down... but i was wondering if anyone on here had any experiences with this condition they'd care to share?
Its been a very frustrating few months for me.. i have limited time to train with work/family etc but running is something i can fit in pretty easily and still enjoy a modicum of 'success'. It would be nice to get this fixed!
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frodeno, Hoffman and now you! SI issues seem quite prevalent in the 'news' right now.
twhat

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gilded company eh? They both seem to have stress fractures whereas i have a mobility issue though... i imagine they put in a few more hours per week than me.....
Pedro Peru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was the osteopath not able to help further, with rehab or something?

I would say that subjectively testing SIJ movement is unreliable but we can leave that there for now. I would think that it is either a mechanical issue somewhere else, maybe foot, ankle, knee or back causing this. Alternatively if it is at the SIJ when you run then a muscular issue causing that tightening then pain. For the latter strengthening is the way foward, glutes, etc.

If you go to a phsyio and tell them that you SIJ dysfunction look very closely at their face when you do and see if you notice an eye roll or raised eyebrow.
twhat

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The osteopath is a bit perplexed as to why the right side of the joint continues to 'stick'.

I come away from the appointment feeling right as rain. Swim, cycle, stretch, weight train, lunges, core work, bosu sh1t, row. No problem. Run and after a couple of miles there it goes. I can run through it but i just get really tight and then sore. I go back to the osteo.. he says oh dear, its stuck again. Repeat.

I sense an air of scepticism around this diagnosis but i have no pain anywhere else and am a pretty experienced runner.
I'm pretty confident in his diagnosis but then i have no medical training. Looks like i'm going to have to suck up some physio.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cycle position, running mechanics, postural dysfunction...lots of possible causes

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
twhat

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a very good chance its running mechanics but i have pretty much ruled out the other two. The fact i went for two weeks and then a month with no problems until i ran would support this but of course... running could just be the trigger for an underlying issue. Its unlikely to be cycling position as i rarely top 100km in a week and the issue arose when i hadnt ridden my bike for 9 months....

Any London/Essex based running form experts you'd recommend EJC ?
Pedro Peru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

twhat wrote:
The osteopath is a bit perplexed as to why the right side of the joint continues to 'stick'.

I come away from the appointment feeling right as rain. Swim, cycle, stretch, weight train, lunges, core work, bosu sh1t, row. No problem. Run and after a couple of miles there it goes. I can run through it but i just get really tight and then sore. I go back to the osteo.. he says oh dear, its stuck again. Repeat.

I sense an air of scepticism around this diagnosis but i have no pain anywhere else and am a pretty experienced runner.
I'm pretty confident in his diagnosis but then i have no medical training. Looks like i'm going to have to suck up some physio.

I'm not sceptical about the diagnosis so much as the physio might be. It is something osteos are taught but with physios it varies. There is evidence that it can be a source of pain but scepticism at how valid feeling it move or not is.

It might be gait issue? Maybe get the osteo to watch you run?

Apparently the physios at https://therunningworks.net/sports-clinic are well respected but not been myself.
twhat

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pedro Peru wrote:
twhat wrote:

I'm not sceptical about the diagnosis so much as the physio might be. It is something osteos are taught but with physios it varies. There is evidence that it can be a source of pain but scepticism at how valid feeling it move or not is.

It might be gait issue? Maybe get the osteo to watch you run?

Apparently the physios at https://therunningworks.net/sports-clinic are well respected but not been myself.

That shop is 100m from my office.... I didnt know they had physiotherapy there, i'm going to give them a try, thanks. They do good coffee.
Pedro Peru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep us updated.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

twhat wrote:
There is a very good chance its running mechanics but i have pretty much ruled out the other two. The fact i went for two weeks and then a month with no problems until i ran would support this but of course... running could just be the trigger for an underlying issue. Its unlikely to be cycling position as i rarely top 100km in a week and the issue arose when i hadnt ridden my bike for 9 months....

Any London/Essex based running form experts you'd recommend EJC ?

send me a couple of shorts vids - both sides, front and back...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
twhat

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kind of you to offer, thanks. I'll try and get my cameraman (boy #1) lined up...
twhat

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So.... an update on my 'SJD'. I went to see Scott Newton at the running works physio, who gave me some more S&C and diagnosed some imbalance, which, tbh, i knew was there and have for some reason never properly addressed.
One week on i'm beginning to think the Osteopath was a waste of time. While he certainly seemed to ease my symptoms, this only lasted as far as the next run. One week into an increased focus on strength and mobility and i feel like i am moving in the right direction. Sadly its a bit late for the Dublin marathon but i'm hopeful of being fit for XC season.
I need to get running soon as the weekly humiliation at masters swim club is becoming tiresome...
Pedro Peru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

twhat wrote:
So.... an update on my 'SJD'. I went to see Scott Newton at the running works physio, who gave me some more S&C and diagnosed some imbalance, which, tbh, i knew was there and have for some reason never properly addressed.
One week on i'm beginning to think the Osteopath was a waste of time. While he certainly seemed to ease my symptoms, this only lasted as far as the next run. One week into an increased focus on strength and mobility and i feel like i am moving in the right direction. Sadly its a bit late for the Dublin marathon but i'm hopeful of being fit for XC season.
I need to get running soon as the weekly humiliation at masters swim club is becoming tiresome...

Good stuff, glad you're on the mend. As an osteopath myself I find the lack of S&C work and prescription in the profession frustrating.
twhat

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So.. 5 months after the initial issue, and numerous false starts... i appear to be ready to toe the line at Round 1 of my local XC. I was moving in the right direction with the S&C and physio guidance.. but the whole issue really seems to have been put to bed after seeing a doctor at the 'Institute of Sports, exercise and Health' who put me on a two week course of 'Diclofenac', a strong anti-inflamm. It would seem the drugs do work....

At least, i hope they do... Lets see how 7km of mud and hills affects things now ive had the last of my 'fix'.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: