Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Nice 70.3 (2019) WC
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check your email junk folder.

My invite to Chattanooga sat in the junk folder for 2 weeks while I fretted about whether I had been missed....
JeffB

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was a bit longer for me as Edinburgh was the first qualifier and they were still sorting this years race, think it was about 5 weeks.

Jeff
FatPom

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great news Jeff, and good luck to TRO and others at Weymouth Cool
JeffB

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone look at the results from the Nice 70.3 yesterday, the bike course looks tough, even the winner only managed 2:26, not sure about the swim either, I only looked at the top few in M45 which were 34/30 mins which seems quite slow.

At least the mountain should reduce drafting, although I think the first 15 miles or so will have a few big packs.

Assuming they use the same course

Jeff
Stivrunning

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

personally the more hills the better as you say may reduce drafting Wink

seems a long wait and a lot of racing to be done before then

spoke to a few that went SA apparently they put on a good event
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My issue with the 70.3 WC is the wave starts.

The bike is crowded throughout, so you do not get the thinning out that you would usually with a big hill.

We had the climb of Lookout at Chattanooga, and I was in the third last wave with a stupidly fast - think it was 25-29 - going after. So really there were 3 speeds of riders - the guns coming through from 25-29, catching much slower riders plus your own wave. So even when your own wave is sorted by the hill you still have these riders from other waves to deal with that you either catch or who come piling through.

I was a bit uncomfortable with it to be honest and did not feel safe at times.
chickenboy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffB wrote:
Anyone look at the results from the Nice 70.3 yesterday, the bike course looks tough, even the winner only managed 2:26, not sure about the swim either, I only looked at the top few in M45 which were 34/30 mins which seems quite slow.

At least the mountain should reduce drafting, although I think the first 15 miles or so will have a few big packs.

Assuming they use the same course

Jeff

apparently about 2100-2200 long, according to a mate who raced
JeffB

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenboy wrote:

apparently about 2100-2200 long, according to a mate who raced

That would explain it then, even the pro's looked like they were about 3 minutes down on what you'd expect. Hopefully it will be accurate next year, unless you lend me your arms Smile

I'm dreading the descent on the bike, particularly if the roads are busy and twisty. If it's wet I'll probably get off and walk down it.

Jeff
Edz

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having previously raced the full course at Nice x 3, hoping to qualify for next year's WC 70.3 by winning a slot @ Aix en Provence in May. Some fast competition there so taking nothing for granted, but have done it before.
Also managed to have a ride around the 1/2 course recently & know the roads there from other events very well. As previously said, flat for about the first 15km then shortish uphill, rolling fast road to the bottom of the Col de Vence. This is a 9km climb ave 7/8%. Drops down from here with a short kick up to next village. After that it's very fast & technical for most Triathletes. In the long cse event I have seen about 5 crashes every year due to rider errors. If you qualify go & drive/ride the course. You can gain or lose a lot of time on the bike. Again, on the full, I was a road bike w/t.bars & deep section (which was probably a mistake). If I make Nice WC, Defoe on the TT P3.
JeffB

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edz wrote:
Having previously raced the full course at Nice x 3, hoping to qualify for next year's WC 70.3 by winning a slot @ Aix en Provence in May. Some fast competition there so taking nothing for granted, but have done it before.
Also managed to have a ride around the 1/2 course recently & know the roads there from other events very well. As previously said, flat for about the first 15km then shortish uphill, rolling fast road to the bottom of the Col de Vence. This is a 9km climb ave 7/8%. Drops down from here with a short kick up to next village. After that it's very fast & technical for most Triathletes. In the long cse event I have seen about 5 crashes every year due to rider errors. If you qualify go & drive/ride the course. You can gain or lose a lot of time on the bike. Again, on the full, I was a road bike w/t.bars & deep section (which was probably a mistake). If I make Nice WC, Defoe on the TT P3.

Useful info for the bike course, I've got some accommodation booked so hopefully might get to ride the course on the Friday or even Thursday depending on timings.

I'd been wondering about the bike and was thinking of a road bike with clip-ons as descending on a TT bike isn't great. Although I'm pretty cautious going downhill.

Jeff
crumpy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffB wrote:
Edz wrote:

Useful info for the bike course, I've got some accommodation booked so hopefully might get to ride the course on the Friday or even Thursday depending on timings.

I'd been wondering about the bike and was thinking of a road bike with clip-ons as descending on a TT bike isn't great. Although I'm pretty cautious going downhill.

Jeff

Not a huge fan of descents in the wet either, Jeff. Just booked a villa in the Nice hills from Wed to following Saturday for extended family so awesome family holiday coming up next Sept. Will be up for riding the descents on Thurs / Fri to give it a whirl before the race.

My next target is a national CrossFit comp in early March so starting to spend time improving my bench and shoulder presses! That’ll stilll leave 6 months to get the cardio in which is more than plenty 👍 booked a week in Lanza with family for Early June to get a few more miles than normal on the bike. Hopefully nice and windy 🤣
JeffB

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crumpy wrote:

Not a huge fan of descents in the wet either, Jeff. Just booked a villa in the Nice hills from Wed to following Saturday for extended family so awesome family holiday coming up next Sept. Will be up for riding the descents on Thurs / Fri to give it a whirl before the race.

My next target is a national CrossFit comp in early March so starting to spend time improving my bench and shoulder presses! That’ll stilll leave 6 months to get the cardio in which is more than plenty 👍 booked a week in Lanza with family for Early June to get a few more miles than normal on the bike. Hopefully nice and windy 🤣

Due to an administrative error I'm now there on the Wednesday instead of Thursday, but yes, as long as my bike arrives in time or I can hire one I'll be up for a bike recce. Hopefully a few others might qualify.

The villa sounds nice, easy access into the town I presume. They haven't got start times but probably the usual 7ish I guess.

Jeff
Stivrunning

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

everything booked and paid for

Thursday to Monday

plenty of water under bridge before then mind
crumpy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffB wrote:
crumpy wrote:

Due to an administrative error I'm now there on the Wednesday instead of Thursday, but yes, as long as my bike arrives in time or I can hire one I'll be up for a bike recce. Hopefully a few others might qualify.

The villa sounds nice, easy access into the town I presume. They haven't got start times but probably the usual 7ish I guess.

Jeff

Cool...it will be good to try out the descents before the race.

Didn't pay too much attention to the access into town (although website stated 25 mins or so) as predominately about making sure it is a great family holiday first). I am always up early on race day so 7ish will be fine.

Stiv - yep, plenty of water under the bridge - ha ha...at the moment, it is all about increasing my bench press prowess Strong
stenard

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See you there everyone! Just got my medallion at Bahrain!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: