Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Wide winter road tyres (28-32c)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Wide winter road tyres (28-32c) Reply with quote

Looking for a good winter tyre to save my GP4000sII for the warmer months. Does anyone have experience of the following, or have any other recommendations.

Panaracer Gravel King 28c
Challenge Strada Bianca 30c
Schwalbe G One Speed 30c
explorerJC

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On ever had one set of schwalbes and had so many punctures I threw them away...

not the type you are looking at, but they were marketed as being resilient...never brought the make again...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only Schwalbes I've had, are Stelvio tubs; I still have them now and despite having cracked rubber are still going strong! Bought them in 2008 & used on & off ever since Surprised

I was out on the bike at lunchtime, and had a couple of rear wheel skids. Okay it's a bad time of year for crap on the roads with all the rotting leaves and mud, and I have disc brakes which lock at the back more easily, plus I had to slow for a truck on a narrow descent, hence the hard braking. But it does make me think I really need to get fully treaded tyres, rather than the GP.
mattsurf

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my CX bike for my winter tyre I use a 35mm Schwalbe Marathon Supreme Road Tyre. It has a light tread pattern, it is difficult to compare directly with my road tyre (specialized Turbo cotton 28mm) as I use them on a different bike. Last winter I didn't get any punctures, I felt that the rolling resistance was good, my average speeds were approximately 5% down compared to my road bike, however, other factors come into play cycling in the winter, like slower bike, more clothing cold etc. I didn't have any issue with grip, the wider profiles and lower tyre pressure (75psi) meant that that bike felt as though it had loads of grip
Buzz_

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like conti 4 season in the wet. Only goes up to 28c I believe, but I ride 25c and haven't had any issues.
mattsurf

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buzz_ wrote:
I like conti 4 season in the wet. Only goes up to 28c I believe, but I ride 25c and haven't had any issues.

Use 28c Conti 4 Seasons on my Tandem (which i currently ride with my daughter around 2000 miles per year), really robust tyre, not punctured in past 3 years. I find that grip on the front tyre in wet, especially when muddy or leaves on road, is not brilliant, however, that may have something do do with force going through the front wheel of a Tandem. Blisteringly fast downhill... again this may be a feature of a tandem, All of my downhill Strava segment records have been set on the Tandem. Only issue with these is that they are not the comfiest tyre, the Schwalbe on my CX bike and Turbo Cottons on my road bike are both more supple.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doing some more reading online, reviews etc, and it seems that the Panaracer Gravel King 28 might be the best combination of weight, performance, price and ease to install. It's much lighter, cheaper and easier to install than the Challenge. I suspect that the tread also affords better winter conditions grip than the Contis. It also comes in black vulcanised or tan sidewalls if you shop around. I don't think the G One Speed has been out long enough for enough long-term anecdotal feedback.
mattsurf

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Doing some more reading online, reviews etc, and it seems that the Panaracer Gravel King 28 might be the best combination of weight, performance, price and ease to install. It's much lighter, cheaper and easier to install than the Challenge. I suspect that the tread also affords better winter conditions grip than the Contis. It also comes in black vulcanised or tan sidewalls if you shop around. I don't think the G One Speed has been out long enough for enough long-term anecdotal feedback.

Let us know how you find them, I am always happy to extend my tyre collection, the GP 4 Seasons on the Tandem are looking pretty worn
Doonhamer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Panaracer GK on the front of my crosser albeit a 40 for tearing around forests - I didn't want to say gravel grinding Rolling Eyes- & found it went on easily. I initially seated & inflated it with my track pump & some washing up liquid leaving it for 24hrs before adding the spaff. Can't comment on the longevity or grip on the road, but it's been bulletproof over some testing terrain. The fact that you can get them with tan sidewalls now is tidy.

If you're interested I have a tubeless Specialized Trigger 38 on the rear which has also been bombproof, went on easily but leaked spaff from the sidewalls for a bit longer before settling.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ I'm limited to 32c on the Endurace; although of course it's all a bit hit & miss with different tyre brands & internal rim widths!

EDIT - just bought a pair of 28c black/tan Gravel Kings from Sigma Sport. Look forward to putting them on next week.
Doonhamer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
^^ I'm limited to 32c on the Endurace; although of course it's all a bit hit & miss with different tyre brands & internal rim widths!

EDIT - just bought a pair of 28c black/tan Gravel Kings from Sigma Sport. Look forward to putting them on next week.

How are you finding the GK's, did you set them up tubeless?
Doonhamer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over the BH weekend I decided to see if they (28mm) would set up tubeless.

No big problems, had to seat one of the tyres with CO2 before injecting gunk into coreless valve, other tyre seated with track pump. Wish I'd done it a year ago Rolling Eyes .

Wheels are Halo White Line Disc which have proved bombproof over winter.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that the GKs you set-up tubeless? I ran mine with tubes. I've got the Contis back on my Endurace now as I put the GKs on my commuter - until they wore out. I was getting quite a few flats on my commute so got some Spesh All Condition Armadillos, recommended by the LBS....man, they make Gatorskins feel like track tubs!

I managed to snag a pair of 27mm Vittoria Evo Pave CG clinchers from Wiggle at 22.99 each Cool They are lovely things, but wear quickly, so I'll save those for 'best' i.e. any Sportives or Audaxes in the colder/wetter months. I also got some Conti GP4000RS cheap on ebay; they have gone on my TT bike training wheels. A lighter version of the Sii i.e. less rubber.

Wondering now if I should replace my 4 year old Zipp SL Speed tubs on the race wheels.
Doonhamer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it was the Panaracer Gravel King 28s that I set up tubeless. They're not advertised as tubeless but I'd read several reviews where people had success so thought I'd give it a go.

I can understand why you decided to get a tyre with more puncture resistance as I can't remember a more puncture prone tyre which is a shame as they run really well & look great.

I'm hoping that the tubeless set-up will give me a break.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doonhamer wrote:
I can understand why you decided to get a tyre with more puncture resistance as I can't remember a more puncture prone tyre which is a shame as they run really well & look great.

I'm hoping that the tubeless set-up will give me a break.

I went a whole winter with them on my Canyon without a flat, plus a 405km Audax. I think it was just a combination of wear and being on a heavy commuter bike with narrower rims.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: