Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
UMUK is back: Applications for 2019 now open!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobDem

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:47 pm    Post subject: UMUK is back: Applications for 2019 now open! Reply with quote

A heads up to all looking for a BIG challenge in 2019!

While the race didn't happen in 2017, it changed hands and now has a fresh, passionate team dedicated to seeing it continue.
I volunteered this year (31/8 to 2/9) with a view to recceing the Snowdonia setting and see how things are run.
Ben, Darren, Claire et al were awesome. The event was brilliantly managed with all involved (athletes and support crews) feeling hugely positive and excited by the courses and location. I saw top-class efforts by the new team to look after everyone, at every stage.

I'm 100% eager for next year!
Check out the website for more info on this 3-day ultra triathlon:
http://www.racingquest.co.uk

I've let the UMUK team know that I'm posting on here and I'm sure Ben or Darren will pop up to provide more info or answer any queries. Obviously they're contactable via the website too..

Cheers all, happy training!

Last edited by RobDem on Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Racing Quest (UMUK)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are glad you enjoyed it as much as we did. The athletes and support crews were awesome. We can't wait for 2019.

For those who aren't familiar with UMUK. UMUK is a three-day, 515 kilometers (320 miles), ultra endurance triathlon which attracts athletes from all backgrounds.

The race is by invitation only. Organisers will select and invite 50 athletes on a first come, first served basis as the applications are received and if otherwise qualified.

There will be two other events running in parallel to UMUK full distance. Exciting news coming soon!

UMUK will be held between 29th August – 1st September 2019.

For more information or if you would like to enter this event please contact us at info@racingquest.co.uk

Last edited by Racing Quest (UMUK) on Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
ed_m

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The website renders appallingly for me, just saying.
3 days as in staged or 3 days continuous ?
PCP

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing
WhittleFit

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ed_m wrote:

it's a stage race, not continuous.
PCP

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ed_m wrote:

3 stages.

10km swim & 90km bike

270ish km bike

Double marathon
WhittleFit

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was up in Betws-y-Coed for this event, supporting one of the athletes.

This year was a very small field (as the original poster says, first year for new organisers) but it was a great event. The swim is cold (the winner had to get out of the swim half way round and go into a warm shower to warm up), the bike legs are tough (it uses part of the Brutal bike course) and the run has some very cheeky hills in it too (if you know the Brutal bike course, you essentially run that in reverse, and some more).

I think this will be a great event.......if you're into that kind of thing! Laughing
ed_m

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WhittleFit wrote:
ed_m wrote:

shame Very Happy
Racing Quest (UMUK)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ed_m wrote:

Hi there,

We are aware of the shortfalls of our website and are in the process of re-writing and re-designing it. We also will be making announcements soon about other exciting events we'll be hosting in 2019 Smile
Racing Quest (UMUK)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ed_m wrote:
WhittleFit wrote:
ed_m wrote:

shame Very Happy

hi again,

If sleep deprivation is your thing then we are not the event for you!. However, the challenges associated with racing over 3 consecutive days are not to be underestimated... I promise you won't be disappointed Smile
GrahamO

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, some random poster decide to join the forum and tell us all about how great the event is, from IP address 84.51.134.217 in the Uk on Plusnet

Then the event organiser just happens to come across the single post from an entirely new person and jumps in to offer more helpful information ..... from IP address 195.74.68.177 which says they are in the Ukraine on a proxy.

Look old chap - if you want to buy advertising space, speak to the Admin but stop wasting everyones time with this crap attempt to deceive people ?

And where are the links to the event organisers legal status ? The website has no way of verifying that the event or the people that money goes to arent say (randomly) Ukranian scammers ?
PCP

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrahamO wrote:
So, some random poster decide to join the forum and tell us all about how great the event is, from IP address 84.51.134.217 in the Uk on Plusnet

Then the event organiser just happens to come across the single post from an entirely new person and jumps in to offer more helpful information ..... from IP address 195.74.68.177 which says they are in the Ukraine on a proxy.

Look old chap - if you want to buy advertising space, speak to the Admin but stop wasting everyones time with this crap attempt to deceive people ?

And where are the links to the event organisers legal status ? The website has no way of verifying that the event or the people that money goes to arent say (randomly) Ukranian scammers ?

Which was why I laughed in my initial post but since then a regular on the forum has posted that he crewed at least years event and vouched for it.

Crude way to introduce it but not sure you can question the credentials of the event.
GrahamO

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PCP wrote:
Crude way to introduce it but not sure you can question the credentials of the event.

Yes you can as they admit its skipped a year, and the website contains nothing at all in the way of verifiable information on the entity which is organising the event.

If you want to send cheques or pay money to a website which has no way of being contacted with any certainty, I have a Nigerian contact who would really like to speak to you Very Happy

Its completely normal to have certainty about where your money is going and here you have a Ukrainian IP address inviting you to send them money, on the basis that they have the same name as a prior event, but they fail to provide any evidence that the company even exists.
WhittleFit

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After crewing at this years event I can assure you this is a genuine event.

RobDem

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies all.. this is my fault.

I simply wanted to help a great bunch of people, who are working hard and making sacrifices, in order to allow UMUK to continue.
It's an enormous undertaking for the new team and I thought a (clumsy) post on TriTalk would attract some interest and hopefully spread the word.

I should've added to my original post that the event was BTF accredited this year with two officials present across the three days. It was on the BTF website, too, under their long distance events, as this link shows:

https://www.britishtriathlon.org/events/umuk-2018_9558

As for me, I've been a longterm lurker on TriTalk! I registered a few years back, initially for the Classifieds, then began delving into the Forum, particularly the Events section. I never really found the need to contribute, though--and this is typical of me on the other forums I frequent: Singletrackworld, BikeRadar, Timetrialling forum.
I couldn't sign in with my original username/password, because, yep, I have forgotten the details! Pretty sure I was 'RobD' or 'Rob.D' but I couldn't sign in. I'm not sure if accounts are deleted if not used for some time? My email is still recognised by the site. I tried contacting the Mods and using the 'forgotten password' options, but nothing resolved this..

Back in 2014, I was looking for my first iron-distance race and, in searching this forum, I discovered High Terrain's Kielder Triathlon. I enterted the 2015 race and was lucky enough to win! I'm on their website here, running across the dam:

https://www.highterrainevents.co.uk/kielder-tri

And at the bottom of the page is a link to my race report (or click here):

https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/9c535f_78aa75b711d94bc59e836e09f472efb2.pdf

I don't mean to show off.. just trying to rescue some credibility!!
Shame that race didn't last more than two seasons..

Annnnyway, I'm hoping all this reassures I'm no scammer!
I am a triathlete. And a nurse! I live in Rochester.. I've been a member of our local club, MedwayTri, for 5+ years. And, yes, Plusnet is my Broadband provider Smile

Soooo... as I mentioned, I volunteered at UMUK 2018, and spent a good deal of time talking with the new team about running the event. They are all experienced athletes (Ben did UMUK in 2015), but new to race staging and directing.. and marketing!
I made a few suggestions, like getting on podcasts such as IM Talk, Fitter Radio, Oxygen Addict, as I know many have decent audiences and this could aid promoting things for 2019.

Again, apologies for the way this thread started. I was impressed with the way UMUK was staged this year and want to race it next year. All I intended was to raise awareness and get people talking.

I'll message Ben to let him know I've posted again. I'm sure he'll post with more info on his team's involvement with the race, its history and where they want to take it.
Possibly, there'll be an explanation of the Ukrainian connection too???

Cheers all,
Rob

Oh.. and UMUK has been on the forum before (see halfway down this page from 2015):

http://www.tritalk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1646491
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: