Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Running with young kids - how far is too far?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
explorerJC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PCP wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
Second Child Syndrome is polite for 'Ar$ehole Syndrome' Very Happy

My daughter was born only 17 minutes after my son and she definitely has this syndrome.

Although she is a smart, friendly, polite kid, she can be a little prick at times! Openly laughing in my face when being told off is the one thing that sets me off Evil or Very Mad
Her brother on the other hand is an angel 99% of the time.

I was told off by a lady at work for not paying attention to someone's baby when she brought it in. My response was "I don't even like my kids, why would I want to see anyone elses". Let's just say she didn't see the funny side Laughing

They are both loving half term. She is at a dance & performing arts school all week and he is at a sports camp playing football, dodgeball, cricket and other sports.

don't let your kids do anything that will make you dislike them...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Bluepoolshark

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My little boy is 5 and has done a few of our local parkruns, although he normally does one of the two laps or just runs the last 500m or so with me. He has done the whole thing once but he's not overly keen to do that again yet! Very Happy

We never force him and let him do as much as he wants
jibberjim

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hammerer wrote:
jibberjim wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
hammerer wrote:
At my sons school year 3 + do a 2k run in games every week during winter and spring terms.

Yeah, but it's tough love in the Independent sector Wink

Oh yes, those 10 minutes of exercise once a week must kill...

Yes because the school just does a single 2km run session a week Rolling Eyes

The comment was about the "tough love" not the suggestion that was all they might do!
hammerer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jibberjim wrote:
hammerer wrote:
jibberjim wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
hammerer wrote:
At my sons school year 3 + do a 2k run in games every week during winter and spring terms.

Yeah, but it's tough love in the Independent sector Wink

Oh yes, those 10 minutes of exercise once a week must kill...

Yes because the school just does a single 2km run session a week Rolling Eyes

The comment was about the "tough love" not the suggestion that was all they might do!

arr sorry just read it back!
Private school, 3 swims a week, games is 2hrs of a run and sport, 2 pe sessions, ones just like a motorskills ie catchign throwing, balancing, gym work. they do another pe which is anything from basketball to tennis, dodgeball all sorts. they also do a morning run club, an afterschool rugby and football club. oh and an afterschool tennis in autumn and summer terms. he did taekwondo for a couple of years but gave that up when they started fencing in an afterschool club also

Dont get that in the state sector Jorgan Wink
YKK

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Can I hi-jack this thread a little with a kid related question...

My girl is 6, and thankfully is not one of those annoying ones Smile

She loves being active and no doubt wants to do triathlons "like Dad did" one day. For her age she is a competent swimmer and has just been bought a geared bike which she is loving and wants to practice on at every opportunity.

She also loves running as most kids do, but it is quite frankly awful at it. She runs like Phoebe in Friends if people can remember that episode and as such pretty much comes last in races be it at school or the very odd PR Jnr that we have done. I am sure it is not the only reason she is slow relatively but awful form can't help.

I know running is very natural, but *she* is quite competitive and wants to do better (i.e. not me) and I am wondering about peoples thoughts on if there is anything I could do to help her run with better form, or do I just let it naturally develop as she runs more and faster with age.

FWIW I know this a controversial subject so want to make it clear that this is not a competitive Dad question pushing her into anything, just one that wants to help her develop in the same way as I show her what freestyle looks like in the pool (not that mine should be copied in anyway!).
hammerer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YKK wrote:
Hi,

She loves being active and no doubt wants to do triathlons "like Dad did" one day. For her age she is a competent swimmer and has just been bought a geared bike which she is loving and wants to practice on at every opportunity.

She also loves running as most kids do, but it is quite frankly awful at it. She runs like Phoebe in Friends if people can remember that episode and as such pretty much comes last in races be it at school or the very odd PR Jnr that we have done. I am sure it is not the only reason she is slow relatively but awful form can't help.

I know running is very natural, but *she* is quite competitive and wants to do better (i.e. not me) and I am wondering about peoples thoughts on if there is anything I could do to help her run with better form, or do I just let it naturally develop as she runs more and faster with age.

FWIW I know this a controversial subject so want to make it clear that this is not a competitive Dad question pushing her into anything, just one that wants to help her develop in the same way as I show her what freestyle looks like in the pool (not that mine should be copied in anyway!).

drills but keep them fun . with the little ones we do less traditional drills but try to get the same outcome ie, things like fast feet we use ladders which will help develop light feet and a quick cadence. Foot speed is key in my opinion to technique. Much past that we dont interupt too much. eJC is the run biomechanics expert and also coaches kids so will probably have a few
other good ideas. Key is everything should just be fun, games based and athlete led if possible. For instance we just dumped a bag of toys out this week, ladders , hurdles cones, told the kids today we are workign on foot speed, devise a circuit you think will help. surprising what they come up with.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hammerer wrote:

arr sorry just read it back!
Private school, 3 swims a week, games is 2hrs of a run and sport, 2 pe sessions, ones just like a motorskills ie catchign throwing, balancing, gym work. they do another pe which is anything from basketball to tennis, dodgeball all sorts. they also do a morning run club, an afterschool rugby and football club. oh and an afterschool tennis in autumn and summer terms. he did taekwondo for a couple of years but gave that up when they started fencing in an afterschool club also

Dont get that in the state sector Jorgan Wink

I cannot fathom why not.

The High School closest to us has an annual music budget of £500....
FatPom

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resilience training Cool

Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatPom wrote:
Resilience training Cool

Bit early for leopard crawling through mud is it? Very Happy
FatPom

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
FatPom wrote:
Resilience training Cool

She'll get used to it. It's the live ammo we're all worried about. Very Happy
explorerJC

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatPom wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
FatPom wrote:
Resilience training Cool

What? In case you miss with the first round???

FatPom

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
FatPom wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
FatPom wrote:
Resilience training Cool

What? In case you miss with the first round???

Some days, let me tell ya! Very Happy
explorerJC

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hammerer wrote:
YKK wrote:
Hi,

drills but keep them fun . with the little ones we do less traditional drills but try to get the same outcome ie, things like fast feet we use ladders which will help develop light feet and a quick cadence. Foot speed is key in my opinion to technique. Much past that we dont interupt too much. eJC is the run biomechanics expert and also coaches kids so will probably have a few
other good ideas. Key is everything should just be fun, games based and athlete led if possible. For instance we just dumped a bag of toys out this week, ladders , hurdles cones, told the kids today we are workign on foot speed, devise a circuit you think will help. surprising what they come up with.

Yep, drills are where it is at....

Just for the record, whilst running is a natural behaviour, running form is not..it is a leant behaviour.

As H says, fast feet are important but must allow enough time for a land,load lever, lift technique to take place. This happens 'naturally' when appropriate drills are done. It is also evident in fast running during play and short repetition. That is one reason why I am a fan of run and recover, especially in youngsters as opposed to long running.

For the record again, I am a running expert, not a biomx expert...

fruit thief

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My son just beat me in the local park run. By a minute. So did his friend who was staying over. Both were hungover, and my son forgot his shoes.

How is that fair?
FatPom

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little One managed a 14.40 Jnr Park Run last Sunday. She is under 5 but they only have Under 10W category, she came 8/18 and 42/65 overall Cool
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: