Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
The Nike Vaporfly 4% Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing i have noticed, which may or may not be linked, but all of the brands are now putting out VERy expensive shoes.

I had a Sportshoes catalogue come through the door, and NB had a pair for >£160 with a carbon plate, Adidas, Hoka, Asics - all of them with shoes in the >£130 range. Then you have the likes of On (all £110 and above) and trail shoes (hard to get a decent pair for under £100 without decent discount shopping).

I don't seem to recall, even the top end shoes, always being that expensive. If i saw a pair for three figures, then i always deemed them very (too) pricey. Is this the new norm then?

Or is it just that i ignored these stupid prices when they were first released, and waited for them to come down to the £60-90 range?
JeffB

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even a pair of (heavy) mileage trainers like Brooks Adrenaline are well into 3 figures for a new pair these days. I tend to wait for end of season sales etc., but with size 10 I need to be fairly sharp before they go.

Much easier if you have pixie feet (or are Michael Phelps) Laughing

Jeff
Poet

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in 2006, a pair of top-end trainers were £130 (The ASICS Gel Kayano 12uglyAF one with ALL of the cushioning)
I ran in the Brooks Adrenaline GTS 6, which were £125 (less with a running club discount)

With Consumer Price Index inflation, that’s £181-£189 today.
So the shoes have actually come down In price, generally.

The National Living Wage affects warehouse operatives and postal workers who ship the shoes to you, even if they’re made in the Far East.

It’s the £12k Bike’s that bother me more
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poet wrote:
Back in 2006, a pair of top-end trainers were £130 (The ASICS Gel Kayano 12uglyAF one with ALL of the cushioning)
I ran in the Brooks Adrenaline GTS 6, which were £125 (less with a running club discount)

With Consumer Price Index inflation, that’s £181-£189 today.
So the shoes have actually come down In price, generally.

The National Living Wage affects warehouse operatives and postal workers who ship the shoes to you, even if they’re made in the Far East.

It’s the £12k Bike’s that bother me more

That's so, so far away from me that it doesn't even enter my thoughts for a second! To be honest, a £1.2k bike doesn't even come close at the moment! Also i'd hope that the bike lasts a tad longer than a pair of trainers. That's what is frustrating, as if you're on a big mileage block, they could last 3 months or so and that's it. Still ... not going to stop running, or buying them!!
Buzz_

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingerbongo wrote:
That's what is frustrating, as if you're on a big mileage block, they could last 3 months or so and that's it.

Running is still cheap, even with £150 trainers every 3 months. I keep coming back to a mate of mine who had run for years without issues in £130 shoes. When he changed to something cheaper, he ended up with physio bills that more than offset the difference! If the shoe works for you, it is worth paying for.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

£12k bike is utter diminishing returns, as we all know. A second-hand £2k bike will get you within a handful of 'watts' if you're well set-up on it.
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But we've got to have something to complain about, otherwise it wouldn't be very British would it? !
Poet

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha ha ha - I’m known for a moan!

I’ve signed up for the Next% drop date email...

But if you’ve a £12k bike, you must be mint at cycling and rich and the envy of all your friends.
None of them think you’ve got it on the never never at a cost more than their car
Whisk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tommy060289 wrote:
Since I can’t get them in a 13, I’ve come to the conclusion that they should be banned. It’s clearly an unfair advantage, and if you believe the marketing of 4% faster, 4% faster than your baseline? Isn’t this admitting the shoes make you faster! I currently run in Hoka Tracers which would be a sort of ‘cushioned-racing flat’ but you couldn’t claim they made me faster, surely all they would do is allow me to reach my maximum potential, as opposed to an actual bonus from the energy return on the carbon fibre?

I think they actually claim to be 4% "more efficient", not 4% faster. I guess that's careful wording to avoid the accusation that they're giving the wearer an unfair speed boost.

I guess if the other manufacturers aren't calling for them to be banned then they've either got their own equivalents in the pipeline or they don't see low volume, top end racing shoes as a significant part of their income stream.

I could be wrong, but I doubt if even the most expensive running shoes on the market have a factory gate price in excess of $20. The rest of the sale price is going to the retailer, on R&D and into Mo and Kipchoge's pockets Wink
Poet

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are wrong Wink
But bloody close!!!

https://www.bizjournals.com/portland/blog/threads_and_laces/2014/12/the-cost-breakdown-of-a-100-pair-of-sneakers.html?s=image_gallery

It’s the R&D
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stuck some elastic in mine and put surgical tape over the flap inside the shoe - so hopefully I can last 5k sockless in them on Sunday. That will be the first time I wear them to run, so I'd better have a 'rungasm' okay!

Really going to spare these for IM Hamburg in July. I intend their mileage to be less than a marathon before the 'big day'; just a couple of training runs in them to check I've got the lace tension right, and for any potential hot spots.
Poet

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A neat excuse for Cotswold113.

Had a look on eBay for the Next%.

Will anyone actually pay that???
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poet wrote:
A neat excuse for Cotswold113.

Had a look on eBay for the Next%.

Will anyone actually pay that???

That's flippin ridiculous! LIke you say, do any of these actually sell? Are peple that stupid? (think i know the answer to that)
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those eBay chancers Very Happy "very limited release" ...except there are already 15 pairs on there. Highest 'bid' thus far £440. Hopefully this will push 4% values down.

I often see stuff priced astronomically, like £10k for a printer cartridge or something, and just assume they are either looking for a myopic pensioner to click buy it now, or it's a money laundering scheme.
SGreg

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm

Will be in the states next week, hope there are not any of these in the Nike Factory store...or the missus will get upset at me again...
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 15 of 16

Jump to: