Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
The sub-17/18 min 5k thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 50, 51, 52  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FatPom

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doca wrote:
Did the Nottingham club relays at the weekend, I was the first runner so the distance was short for me but my pace was on for a 18:00 5K. Hoping for a sub 18 soon.

very nice!
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's good going Doca. Once the IM clears the legs, i would say that sub 18 will be tumbling pretty quickly.

I ran parkrun on Saturday after a beastly session on the Weds and was a bit underwhelming. Knocked another couple of secs off, but i'm still massively fading in the back half. I seem to be running really well on the track, even on longer reps, but when it comes to the 'race' then i'm just full on soft!

Think i probably need a few more miles. Trying to sub 17 off 30km a week is probably at the limit of what's possible.

I did design my first ever track session last week for me and my friends and it was nasty!! Likn here if anyone is interested: https://www.strava.com/activities/1821864661

Unfortunately my target of going under 17 before my new baby arrives at the end of the month is probably out the window now i think. I've hurt my knee in a freak 100ft cliff jumping accident ... by freak accident i mean showing off to my friends and forgetting that i am not 18 anymore, but 34. And legs and bodies are not quite as flexible!! Rolling Eyes Mad I think i've strained the medial ligaments on my left knee as i'm properly hobbling around today and it is very sore. Gona be at least a week off i think, at best! bums.
JeffB

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingerbongo wrote:
That's good going Doca. Once the IM clears the legs, i would say that sub 18 will be tumbling pretty quickly.

I ran parkrun on Saturday after a beastly session on the Weds and was a bit underwhelming. Knocked another couple of secs off, but i'm still massively fading in the back half. I seem to be running really well on the track, even on longer reps, but when it comes to the 'race' then i'm just full on soft!

Think i probably need a few more miles. Trying to sub 17 off 30km a week is probably at the limit of what's possible.

I did design my first ever track session last week for me and my friends and it was nasty!! Likn here if anyone is interested: https://www.strava.com/activities/1821864661

Unfortunately my target of going under 17 before my new baby arrives at the end of the month is probably out the window now i think. I've hurt my knee in a freak 100ft cliff jumping accident ... by freak accident i mean showing off to my friends and forgetting that i am not 18 anymore, but 34. And legs and bodies are not quite as flexible!! Rolling Eyes Mad I think i've strained the medial ligaments on my left knee as i'm properly hobbling around today and it is very sore. Gona be at least a week off i think, at best! bums.

Bit annoying about the knee GB, is it any better yet? Hopefully it's only a slight twinge.

A hard parkrun and the track will keep you going in the right direction but the end of the month is probably a bit too soon. Do you get much chance to go running at dinnertime.

All plans will be out of the window in a few weeks though with sleep deprivation

Jeff
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went to see the physio yesterday and it's cartilage damage. She's given me 6 weeks of no running ... so that's really 4 weeks, yeah? Sure that's how it works?!

It's still pretty painful, weirdly only in the mid range of my knee flexion. But cartilage is a bit better than ligament (i think). Physio said that once the pain subsides i can at least cycle, just no impact stuff. So i'm going to have to dig out the old rust bucket once again (that's twice this year now!), buy some lights and stop myself from going stir crazy; and losing all my fitness! Hopefully it won't be too bad and i won't go too far backwards.

I did still go down ofr my weekly session with my little 'crew' though and played proper coach. that was actually quite fun. We're doing reps on the seafront next week as it's too dark now for the track. Hopefully i can be riding by then so i can blow the whistle and cajole my little group into running hard!! I just need a beer belly and a grey tracksuit now!
PhilleusPhogg

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingerbongo wrote:
We're doing reps on the seafront next week as it's too dark now for the track.

Flood lights/electricity not made it down in Devon yet?!

Bad luck with the knee, stay patient.

You should've listened to Baz Lurhmann's Sunscreen song more: "Be kind to your knees, you'll miss them when they're gone"
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha - not on this!! it's an old 'cinder' track round a rugby pitch. It's more like hard packed, rutted earth and it absolutely terrible. But at least it's 400m and it doesn't do the off road durability any damage!

Patience is nt my strong point! Though i have baby #2 due in about 12 days time, so it's probably the best possible time this could have happened (if there is a best time) to me.

thing is, i'd probably do that cliff jump again, as it was fun!! haha. Just this time i know to brace a little harder!!!
jibberjim

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingerbongo wrote:
haha - not on this!! it's an old 'cinder' track round a rugby pitch. It's more like hard packed, rutted earth and it absolutely terrible. But at least it's 400m and it doesn't do the off road durability any damage!

Hey, don't knock that track, my grandad did a lot of work to get that built!
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jibberjim wrote:
gingerbongo wrote:

Hey, don't knock that track, my grandad did a lot of work to get that built!

Haha, i'm sure it was very nice back then!! Before it had cars and caravans driving over it when it's wet so it gets all nice and rutted before baking as hard as stone! Sad thing is it only needs a little bit of investment ... but complcated politics between the various bodies have left it crumbling.
JeffB

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, 6 weeks in physio language is 4 in the athletes. Although you need to be careful with cartliage damage, but as you'll have a break for a few weeks it might not be the worst timing.

Have you got a whistle for your training sessions, any good coach needs a whistle as well!

Jeff
twhat

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So this is my winter focus. 17.30 or bust. I ran 17.41, 2secs off my pb, post marathon in May and then got injured, just when i'd been hoping to push on.
Very frustrating but i appear to be back in the game now, having survived round 1 of XC this weekend. I took the first bit easy before the competitive instincts set in (who takes cross country easy ???) and i ended up finishing 26th overall, only 6 places down on last year. I even snagged the last scoring position for the team. Looking at those around me i'm probably in 18.20 shape just now.

So winter is all about 4 more cross country and hopefully a monthly parkrun. First winter for a while not worrying about the long run early on a sunday Very Happy
FatPom

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

twhat wrote:
So this is my winter focus. 17.30 or bust. I ran 17.41, 2secs off my pb, post marathon in May and then got injured, just when i'd been hoping to push on.
Very frustrating but i appear to be back in the game now, having survived round 1 of XC this weekend. I took the first bit easy before the competitive instincts set in (who takes cross country easy ???) and i ended up finishing 26th overall, only 6 places down on last year. I even snagged the last scoring position for the team. Looking at those around me i'm probably in 18.20 shape just now.

So winter is all about 4 more cross country and hopefully a monthly parkrun. First winter for a while not worrying about the long run early on a sunday Very Happy

wow, that would be moving. Best of luck Cool
twhat

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatPom wrote:
twhat wrote:

Yeah it would be.. 10s/km sounds liek a hell of a lot, even if the first 2 should come free when i lose the spare tyre...
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

twhat wrote:
FatPom wrote:
twhat wrote:

Yeah it would be.. 10s/km sounds liek a hell of a lot, even if the first 2 should come free when i lose the spare tyre...

Do you know of anywhere you can get rid of them Twhat? I seem to have acquired one through the triple threat of no sleep, poor diet and no training thanks to a baby/injury combo. Right in the face, Apollo Creed style/
twhat

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not an ideal time of year to get stuck with one tbh.... if anyone asks just tell them you are training for a cross channel swim and need the insulation...
TriSam

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time to get this thread back on track Wink Christmas is a time for spare tyres anyway, don't worry about it!

Did a session yesterday of (6 minutes hard, 6 minutes threshold)x3 on the roads, and ended up going through 5km in 16:59! Brutal session, and the legs are beat up today. Hoping for a decent smash out at the Chichester 10km in Feb and then Cambridge Half in March
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 50, 51, 52  Next
Page 51 of 52

Jump to: