Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
choice middle distance 2019

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
patrick.vandenbroeke

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:07 am    Post subject: choice middle distance 2019 Reply with quote

hello,

As a foreigner (Belgium), which one to choose in may 2019 :
Immortel stourhead or swashbuckler ? Confused
Jorgan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only done Immortal Stourhead, but it is a lovely location around a stately home. The swim is two laps (no Aussie Exit) and then a quite long run up hill to T1 (you need shoes by the lake). The bike is 2 lap and quite hilly (but definitely TT bike). The run was 3 laps in 2015 when I raced, and again there is a climb at the end of each lap.

I believe Swashbuckler is also a very nice location, and will be less hilly than Stourhead.
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swashbuckler done (4 of them) but not Immortal.

For Swashbuckler I would say:
- location is simply stunning, bike is superb and nice for the family to hang out IF THE WEATHER IS NICE.
- The hosts do a great race and this is their last year before retirement
- distances are a bit non standard (think bike around 50 miles, run 14 miles) so not a 'classic' 70.3
- accommodation for on site Bucklers Hard is v expensive and probably gone already so you'll have a few miles to get to the venue
- it can start stupidly early as they need a slack tide. Think one year we went off at 5:45! Weaker swimmers can have swim cut off issues as the tide starts to ramp up.
- air and water temps can be very cold that time of year, 2 of my swims were shortened.
- bike is pretty flat but road surfaces not great so it won't be as quick as you expect
judojody

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: choice middle distance 2019 Reply with quote

patrick.vandenbroeke wrote:
hello,

As a foreigner (Belgium), which one to choose in may 2019 :
Immortel stourhead or swashbuckler ? Confused

Immortal Stourhead! But I might be a bit biased as I am one of the event organisers Wink

If you have got any specific questions, feel free to ask me here or drop me an email jody@immortalsport.com

Thanks,

Jody
Happy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done the Swashbuckler a couple of times and it is great. All of it! I'm a weak swimmer but even so, I like the swim. The race organisers are also the best but agree local accommodation is expensive.

I've chosen to do Stourhead for the first time in 2019 because I can camp nearby and also there's a shorter distance race on the Saturday which my other half can do. Then of course I was tempted by the triple. Very Happy
FatPom

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fancied Swashbuckler but the whole 'Register Saturday' thing killed it for me. I live far enough away for it to be a PITA to go to twice but close enough that makes staying overnight a waste.
judojody

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy wrote:
I have done the Swashbuckler a couple of times and it is great. All of it! I'm a weak swimmer but even so, I like the swim. The race organisers are also the best but agree local accommodation is expensive.

I've chosen to do Stourhead for the first time in 2019 because I can camp nearby and also there's a shorter distance race on the Saturday which my other half can do. Then of course I was tempted by the triple. Very Happy

Good choice!

The triple is proving popular and if you are feeling brave there is the 'Triple' Triple!
judojody

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatPom wrote:
I fancied Swashbuckler but the whole 'Register Saturday' thing killed it for me. I live far enough away for it to be a PITA to go to twice but close enough that makes staying overnight a waste.

At Stourhead we prefer you to register the day before but are more than happy if you want to register on Sunday.

Cheers,

Jody
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: