Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Crash!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mattsurf

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:18 pm    Post subject: Crash! Reply with quote

Went riding with a friend, who is an ex-pro Danish rider. due to a slight misunderstanding he managed to put his front wheel into my rear derailleur. Snapped the hanger on my bike and destroyed his front wheel, however, to my complete amazement he managed to stay on the bike (we were doing over 30 kph at the time).

Apparently riding in a big peloton you pick up the skills to stay on, or maybe he was just lucky. I've seen plenty of people coming off after a very light touch of wheels, never seen anyone managed to hold it together after a big impact
PCP

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised you managed to see anything if he was behind you Laughing
FatPom

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Crash! Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
Went riding with a friend, who is an ex-pro Danish rider. due to a slight misunderstanding he managed to put his front wheel into my rear derailleur. Snapped the hanger on my bike and destroyed his front wheel, however, to my complete amazement he managed to stay on the bike (we were doing over 30 kph at the time).

Apparently riding in a big peloton you pick up the skills to stay on, or maybe he was just lucky. I've seen plenty of people coming off after a very light touch of wheels, never seen anyone managed to hold it together after a big impact

But but, I'm 'racing on Zwift' Wink Very Happy
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So no-one actually fell off. What kind of a crash is that?!
mattsurf

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PCP wrote:
Surprised you managed to see anything if he was behind you Laughing

I didnt see anything, however, I know for certain that he stayed on the bike
mattsurf

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
So no-one actually fell off. What kind of a crash is that?!

One with a better than normal outcome
mattsurf

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Crash! Reply with quote

FatPom wrote:
mattsurf wrote:

Sorry I think that functionality is not available until Tacx launch the Neo 3
Whisk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Crash! Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
FatPom wrote:
mattsurf wrote:

Sorry I think that functionality is not available until Tacx launch the Neo 3

Everyone is an awesome bike handler on Zwift Wink Rolling Eyes Very Happy Very Happy
JaRok2300

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a fantastic save at the end of the Tour of Flanders (I think) when a guy's front wheel was on the pavement and back wheel in the gutter for a good few seconds before he gathered it up.

It was one of those where in my mind he'd crashed and then surprised to see he's still on. (For anyone who follows Moto GP, a Mark Marquez moment)
Whisk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think in order to get to the level where you can make a living as a pro cyclist, you need to have spent a large chunk of your childhood mucking about on bikes and probably racing cyclocross and/or MTB and gaining the sort of skills that those of us who've come to cycling relatively late can only dream of.
ed_m

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how do you stay "on" a bike where the front wheel has been "destroyed" ?
mattsurf

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ed_m wrote:
how do you stay "on" a bike where the front wheel has been "destroyed" ?

OK, the wheel still went round: around 1cm out of true, with a broken spoke, luckily could still pass through the brake blocks without locking the wheel
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: