Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Max HR falling
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wheezy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
Wheezy wrote:
Sort of on topic, I think. Confused

I'm just finishing 'Born to Run' by Chrisopher Mcdougall. I'm sure a lot of you have read it already, but if not, do, it's a great read.

Anyhoo, there's a few chapters at the end where he's talking about the anthropological reasons why we are conditioned to be runners. IIRC, he said something along the lines that for the average person, we would be running our fastest over distance by the time we reach 27 / 28 years old but our slowdown is such that we could still be running as fast as we were when we were 19, when we reach the age of 64. Effectively, we slow down over 36 years the same amount that we get faster over 9 years. have to say, that if true, that's pretty mindblowing and gives me a little bit of hope as a bloke rapidly nearing 50.

the bit you missed out is that you ought to be exercising at a similar level each year to delay that regression...

There's always a catch. Rolling Eyes
As a 19 year old, I did spend most of my time drunk, so maybe there's still hope? Smile
Andy916

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
Wheezy wrote:
Sort of on topic, I think. Confused

I'm just finishing 'Born to Run' by Chrisopher Mcdougall. I'm sure a lot of you have read it already, but if not, do, it's a great read.

Anyhoo, there's a few chapters at the end where he's talking about the anthropological reasons why we are conditioned to be runners. IIRC, he said something along the lines that for the average person, we would be running our fastest over distance by the time we reach 27 / 28 years old but our slowdown is such that we could still be running as fast as we were when we were 19, when we reach the age of 64. Effectively, we slow down over 36 years the same amount that we get faster over 9 years. have to say, that if true, that's pretty mindblowing and gives me a little bit of hope as a bloke rapidly nearing 50.

the bit you missed out is that you ought to be exercising at a similar level
each year to delay that regression...

Aye indeed, and I'll rashly say I'm up for that challenge!

At 40 I ran a 42mins 10k as a beginner competitive runner, and stayed at that pace for a decade whilst I did concentrated more on marathon distance.

At 51 I ran 40mins for a 10k, after a couple of years of greater training volume, long-course triathlon mostly, then slipped back to 42ish mins.

Now at 54 I'm focussing on running form and 5k/10k pace, as I'll not have the time for long-course training (willl be very physically active though, I'm renovating a smallholding). Initial aim is to hit 40mins again for a 10k.

There are a few factors involved as well as maintaining CV. At my fastest I was 5% lighter and 8% body fat instead of 11%. Another factor is running form, and my inspiration is a 64-year old coach who's currently looking to regain world age-group records that he held a decade ago, www.olderyetfaster.com. The other one of course is avoiding injury, which is partly related to the first two...
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy916 wrote:
At 40 I ran a 42mins 10k as a beginner competitive runner, and stayed at that pace for a decade whilst I did concentrated more on marathon distance.

At 51 I ran 40mins for a 10k, after a couple of years of greater training volume, long-course triathlon mostly, then slipped back to 42ish mins.

Being a late-adopter does make it a bit easier though! There's no-way I'm matching the times I did in my early 20s! Not without concentrating solely on running that is (which I wasn't doing then either).
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy916 wrote:

Being a late-adopter does make it a bit easier though! There's no-way I'm matching the times I did in my early 20s! Not without concentrating solely on running that is (which I wasn't doing then either).
Andy916

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Garmin oddity disappeared when tried later on phone app and on different computer/browser, happily it does still have my earlier data.
JeffB

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I set most of my PB's 5k,10k,half, full in about 2.5 years from 44-46 the last one been 2 years ago.

That's mostly because I didn't start running until about 35 and only got a bit more serious a few years after. The 5/10k PB's both came during marathon training but probably through consistently training without getting injured.

Often wonder what times I might have done if I'd raced in my 20's but I suspect some people give up when they set really good PB's at a young age and realised they are unlikely to get near them again.

On the back of a few consistent months I've been getting <40 seconds off my 5K PB, not sure I'll break it but happy just to be running largely injury free ATM.

Wish this bloody cold would naff off though Sad

Jeff
Andy916

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Andy916 wrote:

Yes and no. I away ran and biked when young, but never raced until 39. So I don't have any results from back then, and didn't have any speed then anyway.

On the other hand, nothing is easy about maintaining fitness through 50s+. Teens and 20s, fitness is easy for most, some with crap lifestyle even. Many get fat in 30s by continuing the crap lifestyle. Those taking more care can maintain most fitness through 40s, to the extent that they're tempted not to think what happens beyond that era. Look around any club though, running in particular, and 50s is the era of injuries and retirements. Being halfway through that era my gut feeling, with my scientist's eye on the literature, is that good form, strength training and diet are key to maintaining fitness.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: