Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Off Season Plans?
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wheezy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject: Off Season Plans? Reply with quote

That’s it. I’ve got no races or events planned for the rest of this year, so for me, winter base building starts now. Going to focus on running, in particular getting my 5km time down and make sure I’m doing strength and core to ensure my body can cope. Might even go and do a bit of cross country. Anyone else got a winter focus in the pipeline?
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've entered a subject title for you Smile
SGreg

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Final Race isn't until 22 September, after that I would love to keep a little of my fitness over the winter...but I say that every year. I will likely drink the drink and eat the cake...all of it!
Wheezy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
I've entered a subject title for you Smile

Doh! Yeah, that’s what I meant.

On reflection, I think I’ve had a full off season this year. No tris, very little tting, hardly any swimming or running, but I’ve discovered Audax and done more bike miles than ever. Starting to get some Triathlon mojo back as I can see some light at the end of the tunnel with my running injuries that have hampered me over the past few years. Maybe it’s time to really properly nail an Ironman.
FoulOleRon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a half marathon to limp round in a couple of weeks, then not too sure after that. Think I will try and keep the running going, and maybe add in some biking.

No goals as yet for next year, but could be my triathlon comeback!
Chrace

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have an off-season this year. Test race with 5k climbing on bike in 4 (gulp) weeks as fitness check for Extreme X in May.

I'll be training more this off-season than I do in most race seasons.

(Cue jokes about my normal training levels)
PCP

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve not had a season this year.
All races cancelled or deferred to 2019 due to a number of things personally turning upside down.

Lots to prepare for next year in an early 1/2 marathon, Mallorca 312, IMUK & Challenge Paguera.

I think it will be a case of bike, bike, bike with a few runs for the next 6 months then start running properly aswell.
I’ve have been doing strength training so will keep that up.
Wheezy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve never really done strength and core but I’ve come to realise that I need to do some if I want to attempt to train consistently.
PCP

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheezy wrote:
I’ve never really done strength and core but I’ve come to realise that I need to do some if I want to attempt to train consistently.

3 years ago I did s&c 3 times a week in my mates gym and didn’t do a lot of swim, bike or run.

In the Feb I ran a 5k & HIM pb and also my 1st bike test of the year was only 3% off my August power.
2 scheds

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting my 20 minute FTP test back up towards the 320 Watts I hit in December last year. Feel like I have the legs and lungs of a wet piece of string currently.

Did one 5km run this year @ 20:42 off minimal training, so happy that the cycling is taking care of the run muscles, more or less.

So, that just leaves swimming, but I still have a "puffy" arm situation going on. Therefore not sure when I'll get back to the pool... but sod it. I'll put it down as a winter training goal anyway. Get back to repeatable 1:50's/100m.
Roscoemck

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically going to continue training, bit more emphasis on the bike though as I feel there's gains I can make there.

Going to hit the gym quite a bit too, build up overall strength and work hard on my core and flexibility.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheezy wrote:
I’ve discovered Audax and done more bike miles than ever.

Funny old thing, so did I this year. I've only done one but I loved it, the 405km Brevet Cymru. I think the good weather certainly helped; cycling across Wales in the rain doesn't hold much appeal. I would like to do another this autumn/winter - probably not a 400 though!

I'm going to be bike commuting through the winter, so that should build a solid base. First time I will have done that for 5 years. Mudguards already trimmed & fitted, and wondering if I might want a good waterproof pannier again (just strapping a small drybag to my rack at the moment). Also need to consider better lights, and wonder if I should go for a S/H Exposure, or just get a couple of £10 Cree torches.
Wheezy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Wheezy wrote:
I’ve discovered Audax and done more bike miles than ever.

Funny old thing, so did I this year. I've only done one but I loved it, the 405km Brevet Cymru. I think the good weather certainly helped; cycling across Wales in the rain doesn't hold much appeal. I would like to do another this autumn/winter - probably not a 400 though!

I'm going to be bike commuting through the winter, so that should build a solid base. First time I will have done that for 5 years. Mudguards already trimmed & fitted, and wondering if I might want a good waterproof pannier again (just strapping a small drybag to my rack at the moment). Also need to consider better lights, and wonder if I should go for a S/H Exposure, or just get a couple of £10 Cree torches.

I need to do a 200 to complete the Super Randoneur series and I can only fit it in by using one of the permanent routes. Conveniently, there’s a 200 that starts near me in Wimbledon and goes down to Ditchling, so I would be able to squeeze it in at some point. Lots of bike commuting for me too, but going to try to not let it compromise my winter turbo sessions.
mattsurf

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrace wrote:
I don't have an off-season this year. Test race with 5k climbing on bike in 4 (gulp) weeks as fitness check for Extreme X in May.

In the past I have looked at ExtremeX and wondered how people could do it. Now that I have done a 9200m ride, it looks a little more possible.

180km with 4637m is pretty similar to the first half of my ride, don't go off too hard, keep the power towards to top of Z2, for me about 9 hours would be a ballpark time.

If you are doing a 5000m race (what distance?) you need to think about what you want to achieve. It was between 4000m and 5000m that I took more than 30 minutes out of the people ahead of me. You can probably go reasonably hard for 5000m, get a good race result but have nothing left at the end, or you can go slower and focus on nutrition (I would aim to stop for 5 mins each 1000m), after 5000m climbing you should be feeling OK, however, probably won't be your best race result
Chrace

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
Chrace wrote:

In the past I have looked at ExtremeX and wondered how people could do it. Now that I have done a 9200m ride, it looks a little more possible.

180km with 4637m is pretty similar to the first half of my ride, don't go off too hard, keep the power towards to top of Z2, for me about 9 hours would be a ballpark time.

If you are doing a 5000m race (what distance?) you need to think about what you want to achieve. It was between 4000m and 5000m that I took more than 30 minutes out of the people ahead of me. You can probably go reasonably hard for 5000m, get a good race result but have nothing left at the end, or you can go slower and focus on nutrition (I would aim to stop for 5 mins each 1000m), after 5000m climbing you should be feeling OK, however, probably won't be your best race result

It's an IM with 5k on the bike. Bearman in the Pyrenees - https://bearmanxtri.com/ (well, now the race docs have it "downgraded" to 4.8k).

Might even be sharing a room with Chopsy by the looks of it!

As for the eX it's all about going slow for me and keeping those red-line, match-burning moments to an absolute miniming. HR as low as possible at all times. I don't compete, but complete, as you may have guessed. Eat your head off and the body can function for ridiculous amounts of time. But you only have so many matches to burn before the legs simply go dead.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 1 of 11

Jump to: