Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Goodbye Ironman Zurich, welcome Ironman Thun in 2020
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fat buddha

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:28 pm    Post subject: Goodbye Ironman Zurich, welcome Ironman Thun in 2020 Reply with quote

so, after 23 years no more Ironman Switzerland in Zurich after this year - next year it moves to Thun

http://eu.ironman.com/triathlon/events/emea/ironman/switzerland-thun.aspx

IMCH at Zurich was my 1st IM back in 2005 and I have fond memories of that long, hot day out.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Goodbye Ironman Zurich, welcome Ironman Thun in 2020 Reply with quote

fat buddha wrote:
so, after 23 years no more Ironman Switzerland in Zurich after this year - next year it moves to Thun

IMCH at Zurich was my 1st IM back in 2005 and I have fond memories of that long, hot day out.

i however have memories of thunderstorms, cold, punctures, and running out of steam...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
hammerer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just searching through posts here to see if Id missed something. Bit of a shock!
team bungles

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonder what the story is? I DNF'd there last year due to injury and had no desire to go back.......until I saw this!!

Might be a bit of logistical nightmare getting there? Zurich airport is 65 miles away and Bern airport is not well served?
fat buddha

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Goodbye Ironman Zurich, welcome Ironman Thun in 2020 Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
fat buddha wrote:

i however have memories of thunderstorms, cold, punctures, and running out of steam...

luckily we had the thunderstorm the day before, and on IM day it was up to 35C and full sun. always remember the heat shimmer on the roads as I started the run thinking "this is going to be fun"!

at the start of the race as the sun came up over the hills, with a chopper hovering above the lake just before 2000 demented idiots hit the water, with speakers blaring out "The Ride of the Vakyries" - that just sent a big shiver down my spine.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Goodbye Ironman Zurich, welcome Ironman Thun in 2020 Reply with quote

fat buddha wrote:
explorerJC wrote:
fat buddha wrote:

luckily we had the thunderstorm the day before, and on IM day it was up to 35C and full sun. always remember the heat shimmer on the roads as I started the run thinking "this is going to be fun"!

at the start of the race as the sun came up over the hills, with a chopper hovering above the lake just before 2000 demented idiots hit the water, with speakers blaring out "The Ride of the Vakyries" - that just sent a big shiver down my spine.

we had all the sun the day before and it was toasty...

i liked the course, and thought i'd go back one day....obviously not now

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
fat buddha

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Goodbye Ironman Zurich, welcome Ironman Thun in 2020 Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
fat buddha wrote:
explorerJC wrote:
fat buddha wrote:

we had all the sun the day before and it was toasty...

i liked the course, and thought i'd go back one day....obviously not now

I have been back but only to support others and do the Zurich Tri on the Saturday.

which bike course did you do? original 3 lap one, or the newer 2 lapper?? we had the 3 lap one in 2005 and hit my highest ever speed coming down from Forch - 109kph/68mph - on the 3rd time around. back then you could still head down that hill on tribars - effing scary at that speed I tell ya!
tuckandgo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm super stoked about this.
Fractured my elbow in IM Zurich in 2014 so a good excuse for a rematch.
mattsurf

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will be a great Ironman

Ironman Zurich was fine, when compared with other European races, however, Switzerland has so much more to offer than a pretty generic ride, and Zurich is hardly the most beautiful city to run round, swim was nice though.

On the other hand IM Thun could have a stunning and challenging bike course.

People worried about the logistics need not be concerned, the train from Zurich Airport will take around 1h30m and Geneva Airport 2h30m, and if your bike is in a box you don't need to worry about a bike ticket

I will be entering
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Goodbye Ironman Zurich, welcome Ironman Thun in 2020 Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:

13 July 2008? I remember that year as I did Roth, and the weather was terrible all over that region...IMCH, IMA & Roth were all on the same day & grim.
Wheezy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMCH was always a race I wanted to do, as when I first stumbled upon Tritalk, it was a popular event and a few of the tters who used to do the Surrey rides were training for it. Glad I finally got my ar$e in gear a got an entry in.
Chrace

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

team bungles wrote:
Wonder what the story is? I DNF'd there last year due to injury and had no desire to go back.......until I saw this!!

Might be a bit of logistical nightmare getting there? Zurich airport is 65 miles away and Bern airport is not well served?

My friend lives in Thun. When I went to visit we took the very frequent perfectly slick on-time train service to Zurich for a night out, coming back very late.

It's Switzerland. It'll work.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrace wrote:

...and be reassuringly expensive.
mattsurf

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Chrace wrote:

...and be reassuringly expensive.

But only tourists pay full price. Many Swiss have an annual rail pass that provides unlimted use of all public transport in Switzerland, costs around £5000 per year
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
But only tourists pay full price. Many Swiss have an annual rail pass that provides unlimted use of all public transport in Switzerland, costs around £5000 per year

That's only good value if you commute to work daily; otherwise £5k is a lot of cash!

Obviously in the UK, that's a drop in the ocean for a train season ticket to London from where I live Rolling Eyes I went to London for two days last week, and it was £224 for a Peak return ticket plus Z1-2 Underground! (work paid).
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: