Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Commute training
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PCP

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:07 pm    Post subject: Commute training Reply with quote

After losing my job (which could be the best thing to happen to me in a while) it looks like I have a choice of roles in Manchester city centre, both of which have shower and bike facilities.

It is 6 miles to 1 job and 6.3 to the other so I was toying with the idea of running or biking or running in/biking home and reversing the next day.
6 miles is enough to energise and not kill me and I always have the option of an almost door to door tram if the weather is awful.

My question is for those that do this - what do you do with your clothes? The dress code is relaxed so not suit & tie but what do you do to not look a mess? Do you carry a bag in every day? Leave footwear at work?
Also how do you find the training benefits?
Buzz_

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My place provide lockers for those of us that want to cycle commute or run at lunchtime. They are located in a room loosely labelled a changing area, which means it has sweaty clothes and wet towels hung up as well as lockers for clean/dry clothes. This room was allocated after people said they would otherwise hang wet clothes off the back of their chairs, and the powers that cared about aesthetics quickly made provision.

I basically leave a 2nd set of clothes at work including some old work shoes, as well as running kit for a lunchtime run. I only cycle commute a maximum 2-3 days a week and swap out dirty for clean on the days I drive. That way I don't have to cycle with a backpack or pannier which is nice. Takes some planning if I need to get my laptop home for a trip or work access, but I get emails on my phone so manage with that most of the time.

(it's a very male dominated work place, there is a female shower, but no specific female changing area)
explorerJC

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i used to alternate, i would carry two days clothes in when cycling so that i could run unhindered. My only problem was drying towels and storing wet kit...

6 miles on the bike is not going to do much for your fitness - although you can get some traffic light sprints in, no doubt...so you can always top up with an additional loop...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Wheezy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leave my shoes and a couple of pairs of trousers at work. Take in a shirt every day. Trousers go home at the weekend for a wash.
fruit thief

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a logistical challenge, but great if you can make it work.

I live about 30km from work and in the summer do this:

Monday morning, drive in. With one spare shirt, socks etc.
Monday evening ride home, car stays in office car park.

Tuesday morning, ride in.
Tuesday evening drive home with all the dirty kit. Bike stays in a safe place at work

Wednesday day off.

Thursday and Friday a repeat of Monday and Tuesday.

It adds so much to the week and is 4 hours of free training. I considered doing it year round, but don't enjoy riding in the dark.
mattsurf

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I commute 35km 2-3 times per week, but avoid rainy days. I leave a suit and pair of shoes at work. When I travel by train I bring 3 shirts neatly ironed and folded and 3 pairs of pants and socks. I also have locker at work and somewhere to dry my towel.

I also keep a set of running clothes at work, and swap these when I travel by train, occasionally running kit gets used more than once, but becomes rather fragrant.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can get a locker, it basically just becomes a logistical exercise. Always have some spare underwear/socks at work, along with your shoes etc. The 'non-iron' shorts you can get these days are very good, even after being folded-up in a bag/pannier (I usually use the shirt discount vouchers you get in Cyclist magazine! Tyrwhitt/Lewin etc)
Whisk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's 6 miles into a city centre, I wouldn't think of it as "training" if you're cycling it. You'll probably have less than 20 minutes of moving time with lots of stops for lights.

My commute is less than 4 miles into central London with ~20 sets of lights and it's basically a very short sprint interval session. I ride it on a fixie with panniers, so it's hard work from each set of lights, but on a normal bike with gears it'd be very easy. Adding more distance to make it a better training session wouldn't really work for me, because it would just add more urban riding with more lights.

I don't know what central Manchester is like for a cyclist, but for my London commute the main objective is to get there in one piece and avoid the crazy motorists and cyclists Wink

It sounds like running would be a better option for training, if you can sort out the logistics. Running with any sort of a backpack is surprisingly hard work. It just goes to show how much difference a few extra kgs make to you when you're running.
mattsurf

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whisk wrote:
Running with any sort of a backpack is surprisingly hard work. It just goes to show how much difference a few extra kgs make to you when you're running.

Definitely agree with this, did a 21km run back from office on Friday, and couldn't believe how slow it was with backpack
explorerJC

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
Whisk wrote:
Running with any sort of a backpack is surprisingly hard work. It just goes to show how much difference a few extra kgs make to you when you're running.

Definitely agree with this, did a 21km run back from office on Friday, and couldn't believe how slow it was with backpack

It also changes your balance and thus body position and will affect those who forward lean the most...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
PCP

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers for the feedback on logistics. Cycling seems more hassle than it is worth and given it is into Manchester city centre also probably dangerous so would probably do mostly runs.
Poet

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PCP - if you’re coming down Bury New Road, it’s utter naff to cycle. And drive.
Used to do Prestwich to Strangeways every Wednesday.
Cycling to work is probably quicker, as it’s all downhill.
But it’s not training - Bury Old Road, through Blackley and down Rochdale Road is a bit longer and a bit “better” (good rat run traffic avoidance too)

Remember it’s uphill all the way home!!!

Also; Printworks Nuffield has WattBikes. And a 20m pool.
Poet

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RE: Danger in Manchester cycling.
I came off twice in six years of riding fixed around the city centre.

Once when tram tracks were covered in snow.
Once when someone walked out in front of me on their phone.

If you’re alert and going at an appropriate speed, you’ll be fine.

I’ve seen far worse on country lanes and triathlons than I have in the city centre.
JaRok2300

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cycle to work every day but don't really consider it training other than just cumulative mileage/time and calories burnt.

It's less than 4 miles and mostly downhill on the way in and uphill on the way back.

I leave suit and shoes at work and just slip on shorts or trackies and trainers to ride. I wear my work shirt to cycle and go steady on the way in so as not to get hot/sweaty (downhill) then it doesn't matter on the way back as it's all going in the wash anyway. As soon as I get home it's a quick change then out on the "proper" bike (I use a Brompton for work) or a run so the commute home is an extended warm up for my proper session.
MissedTransition

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I commute into Manchester most days, it’s about 15km each way and pan flat so I can get in a few sprints, short threshold sessions but mostly it’s just time on the bike maintaining a level of fitness. The true test will be when I start trying to run in or home.

Whilst there may not be a massive training benefit, I do notice a difference if I’ve not commuted in a while, and also driving into the centre is far worse for your (mental) health.

In terms of logistics, I’m lucky in that my employer has dedicated changing rooms and a dryer. I only have to take in a new shirt/underwear each day and I’m all good.

Good luck!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: