Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Roof racks/boxes and tow bar boxes

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Off-Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:17 am    Post subject: Roof racks/boxes and tow bar boxes Reply with quote

So it seems that an expanding family makes space an issue in multiple areas of life!! We’re off on holiday in a few weeks and it’s just dawned on me how woefully short on space we are in the car.
We have a BMW X1, which actually flatters to deceive in terms of usable space. Until I find enough money (not for a long time) to upgrade to a nice estate, then we need a medium term solution.

2 x adults, 2 x children.

So 2 big suitcases (basically take up the whole boot with the parcel shelf off), 2 Trunki’s and a couple of bags. Two seats in the back are lost to a baby seat and toddler seat.

Biggest issue however is the need to fit the pushchair in! Worst case scenario is it has to be the big, modular one - iCandy - car seat fits in, but we’d then need to take the other attachment as it’s not that comfy for our beefcake 7 month old. Best case scenario is that she’s big enough to ride in the cheap, crappy, small stroller that we have used for previous holidays with the other daughter.

So, that leaves me with one option as far as I can see – roof rack/box/hitch solutions.

Are Thule the way to go … or is that just brand snobiety at its best?

Any info or advice on different setups – there seems to be multiple different options, shapes, sizes etc. Some attracting pretty high price tags! Is second hand a decent option (I have about 3 weeks to sort)? I like the idea of one on the toe bar as it’s out of the way, but is it a pain in the a$$? Roof will obviously affect MPG, but I’m only travelling from East Devon to Bristol and I’ll take it off when not using. Assume that’s the same for the roof bars as well as well as the box?

Thanks in advance
GB
mattsurf

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about a hitch mount bike rack, and attach the stroller to it. Thule one is excellent as it drops down to allow the boot to open and close. You will be transporting more bikes in a couple of years, so probably a more useful investment than a roof box
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
What about a hitch mount bike rack, and attach the stroller to it. Thule one is excellent as it drops down to allow the boot to open and close. You will be transporting more bikes in a couple of years, so probably a more useful investment than a roof box

Yeah that's a really good point to be fair!!
JaRok2300

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently bought a 2nd hand Thule tow bar mounted 3 bike rack for £65 and bought/fitted the towbar myself for £125. (That is an old VW T4, I think the wiring is more complicated on modern vehicles)

The rack fits in a couple of minutes, just one clamp that tightens on to tow ball and the electric plug. I was a bit sceptical about one clamp on a spherical object but used it with 3 MTBs no problem at all.

You can also get storage boxes that fit to the rack if you're not carrying bikes that might be useful in your scenario too.

Ps. The rack tilts to allow you to open the boot with it fitted but on my T4 this still didn't work so had to take it off when I got to camp site. as I said it only takes a minute and makes a handy stand for the 3 bikes when on the ground.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's rewind to the basics. Do you think Jason Bourne (or Fox for that matter) use suitcases? No, they use squashable holdalls.

I don't know about the X1, but under the boot floor, where the spare wheel would normally live is a big space in our Outback; I can store 2 bike wheels in bags plus other associated squashables. You may well have a useable space there of some kind; especially if you remove any polystyrene 'tool shelf' like we have.

Stop thinking like a civilian Wink
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaRok2300 wrote:
I recently bought a 2nd hand Thule tow bar mounted 3 bike rack for £65 and bought/fitted the towbar myself for £125. (That is an old VW T4, I think the wiring is more complicated on modern vehicles)

The rack fits in a couple of minutes, just one clamp that tightens on to tow ball and the electric plug. I was a bit sceptical about one clamp on a spherical object but used it with 3 MTBs no problem at all.

You can also get storage boxes that fit to the rack if you're not carrying bikes that might be useful in your scenario too.

Ps. The rack tilts to allow you to open the boot with it fitted but on my T4 this still didn't work so had to take it off when I got to camp site. as I said it only takes a minute and makes a handy stand for the 3 bikes when on the ground.

Tow bar is already fitted, so just the rack required. Cheers
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Let's rewind to the basics. Do you think Jason Bourne (or Fox for that matter) use suitcases? No, they use squashable holdalls.

I don't know about the X1, but under the boot floor, where the spare wheel would normally live is a big space in our Outback; I can store 2 bike wheels in bags plus other associated squashables. You may well have a useable space there of some kind; especially if you remove any polystyrene 'tool shelf' like we have.

Stop thinking like a civilian Wink

But i am. one. Very Happy

Personally i hate suitcases. I've battled with my wife for years with my perseverance in using my big rucksack (and wanting to buy one of those massive holdalls). but she loves being able to pull along a suitcase! Rolling Eyes

She does like Bourne though - maybe that's the angle i need!

maybe i need to get my battle gear back on and convince her otherwise ... if i don't post on TT in the the next week. i lost. Badly.

Think we only have a small space under the boot - but a good shout. I've kept small items there up to now (it has this little extra hidden 'shelf' bit) but you're probably right - underneath that is likely a big foam 'wheel' with a couple of tools ... that are pointless when you don't have a spare!
Symes

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you really need to take the children?

Stronger mind and muscles than joints, what a b@stard
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Off-Topic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: