Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Rush
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 105, 106, 107  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Off-Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mitten.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:59 am    Post subject: Rush Reply with quote

It seems there’s a few of us lurking around, possibly frustrated and confused that others don’t seem to understand our passion, so here's a thread dedicated to the greatest band ever to come out of Willowdale, Ontario

Okay I’ll go first ... my name’s mitten and I’m a Rushaholic

best live – Countdown with the big screen Space Shuttle backdrop

memory – my arty mate painting a perfect Starman on my denim jacket just in time for Tour of the Hemispheres ( the paint was still drying on the way to the gig)

embarrassing –wearing a satin dragon embroidered dressing gown tucked into my jeans, a la 2112 album photo

coolest Rush moment - wearing a satin dragon embroidered dressing gown tucked into my jeans, a la 2112 album photo

worst – trying to convince Mrs mitten that Rush are not “just noise”

best track – too difficult to call, generally The Trees, but then I listen to Lakeside Park for the first time in years and think it just doesn’t get any better

Last edited by mitten. on Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:53 am; edited 1 time in total
AndyS.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as you don't try to simulate the Permanent Waves album cover I think you'll be OK. Very Happy

I have lots of Rush on my MP3 player but haven't seen them live.
mitten.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The skirt was a little too tight on my hips !

Rush trivia No 1. - the newspapaper on that album cover was an edition that reported the wrong winner in the US presidential elections
ChrisW

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgive me mitten, for I have sinned.

Unlike AndyS, I have seen Rush and do not have any of their stuff on my iPod. Rolling Eyes

I'm that old I can't even remember when I saw them. I know it was Manchester Apollo, probably in the very early 80's. The singer has a very squeaky voice.

Am I pardoned?

He's soft and he's fat and he's wearing my clothes and he's getting too old and he was born on my birthday and I'm afraid if I stop running, he'll catch up with me
mitten.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisW wrote:
Am I pardoned?

say three hail Geddys, three our Neils and repeat there is only one Alex Lifeson five times and you will be allowed back in the Hallowed Halls Smile
shaunw

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mitten
Have to agree they are the best, seen them live a few times but just missed out on the Hemispheres tour - was jealous of my mates

best track ? really difficult but have to mention
Xanadu
Limelight
The Mission

like snakes and arrows stuff, seeing them in Newcastle

Dream gig would have been when they were supported by Marillion
John E Boy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw them in 1987/88 (cannot remember which) when I should have been revising for my A levels.

Then again last year for the 30th Anniversary tour in Manchester. It was quite funny/sad to see how many geriatrics had got their old tour t shirts out Wink Now that was an awesome gig - but if someone can explain why Geddy had 3 washing machines or tumble dryers on stage with him I'd love to know why. They were full of t-shirts he threw into the crowd at the end but why use washing machines/tumble dryers? - knowing these guys there will be some opaque symbolism there but I'm stumped.

Still one of my fav bands - not that I listen to them much at the mo. I've been seduced over to the dark side know as Biffy Clyro. Very Happy
slowpoke rodriguez

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Rush - right through from the early fly by night, By Tor etc - but stopped buying albums pretty much after permanent waves.

I have seen them at least once, possibly more - pretty certain I saw them on the Moving pictures tour (great album...Tom Sawyer, Red Barchetta, YYZ etc) - but I used to go to loads of concerts, so can't remember for sure.

Neil Peart is one of, if not the best rock drummers - up there with Bill Bruford and Carl Palmer anyway.

Fav Rush song.....hmmm, there's a few contenders including 2112, but I'd probably choose La Villa Strangiato.
mitten.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slowpoke rodriguez wrote:
I love Rush - right through from the early fly by night, By Tor etc - but stopped buying albums pretty much after permanent waves ....

... fave Rush song.....hmmm, there's a few contenders including 2112, but I'd probably choose La Villa Strangiato.

they got a bit too proggy for me later on, I stuck it out 'til Power Windows and then retreated back to the older stuff. Haven't heard snakes & arrows .... aarrgh, three Hail Geddys, three our ....etc etc, but will deffo give it a listen

Rush trivia No. 2 - La Villa Strangiato is a musical representation of Alex Lifeson's strange dreams
AndyS.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mitten wrote:
Rush trivia No. 2 - La Villa Strangiato is a musical representation of Alex Lifeson's strange dreams

Oh, as you're a bit knowledgeable on the subject...

I could have sworn there was a drum solo on Exit Stage Left. I have the albums on cassette but they're packed away in storage until we finish the house renovation. So I bought a few albums on CD and there's no drum solo. Did they remove it for the CD edition or is it on the other live album?
doug

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sort of half like Rush - think the music is great, but hate Geddy Lee's voice...
mitten.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyS. wrote:

I could have sworn there was a drum solo on Exit Stage Left.

ooh scratching me head on that one .... there was definitely a drum solo on Exit Stage Left - it was YYZ. I haven't got it on CD and haven't got a turntable any more to to check the vinyl. Won't be able to check until I next see a mate who still has one ( valves and all !!)

I can't believe they'd cut it out of the CD - sacrilege - if you're suffering, have you got All the World's a Stage ? there's one on that
slowpoke rodriguez

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the drum solo is on the CD. YYZ from 2:22 - 5:33.

Just checked Very Happy
ray

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok have to admit likeing them

but never seen them and don't have any of there albums
Badger

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have all their CDs bar Live in Rio and the latest one, Snakes and Arrows.

I have more than a few albums on vinyl.

I finally got to see them live on the 30th Anniversary tour at Wembley Arena.

There's a drum solo on every live album. Just in the last couple have they been separate tracks called "The Rhythm Method".

Favourite track - hard to pick one, but my vote is "Bravado" off Roll The Bones. It stands above "Spirit of Radio", "Xanadu", "Losing It", "Cut To The Chase" and "Natural Science".

Favourite album - Permanent Waves, but it has close competition from Counterparts, Moving Pictures, A Farewell to Kings, Signals, Grace Under Pressure and Presto (the latter sounds horrible but I think it's their most cohesive work).

Best cover art - Got to be Permanent Waves - very much for 'guy' reasons - although Grace Under Pressure is a very close second. If I ever get a tattoo I'll be torn between an m-dot and p/g.

There is only one Lerxst. I do not own an iPod.

Where's Slacko? He used to live in Canada.

B Cool
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Off-Topic All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 105, 106, 107  Next
Page 1 of 107

Jump to: