Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Horse vs bike at Windsor Triathlon
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jibberjim

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaRok2300 wrote:
Time trials and triathlons are one level as the no drafting rule keeps riders to what isn't that dissimilar to normal riding but there are a couple of crit type races near me and I have no idea how they get permission. 20/30 riders spread across the road with a number of lead cars and other vehicles.

Crits and TT's are actually run under the law (often, sometimes not) Cycle Racing on the Highway, however triathlons are not, they are only run under authority from the police, since they cannot meet the rules of the act.

It would be a lot easier for the police to stop all triathlons, than to stop cycle races.

There is also the accreddited marshall scheme for cycle races enabling them to stop traffic, which again wouldn't work with triathlons as it's not a temporary stop, but a full road closure required.
hypseldoris

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rules of Triathlon say you have to follow the highway code and these competitors clearly were not doing that so they should at the very least have been DQ'd. Don't know if drafting was allowed in that event so can't comment on the "pack".

Sheer muppetry.

If the horse had lashed out and connected with one of them I suspect I know who would come off worse. If the lady riding the horse is reading - I am so sorry, not all triathletes are as stupid as this.
antht

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems a really bizarre incident, I can’t figure out how that there were so many arsehole cyclists, in all my races I’ve seen the odd idiot doing something stupid, but not a big group
Anyway, they should all be disqualified for drafting

I’d like to know if any of the marshals had seen or spoken to the horse rider
I wouldn’t be surprised if the rider wasn’t warned about the race and chose to ignore it out of principle
There is always a lot missing from these videos
ps1970

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony Stark wrote:
"..my horse, who is bombproof on the road."

Clearly not, from the way it is behaving. Would love to test the theory further with my road-legal MX bike though.

I really hope you are joking with this post.

If not you really have issues
kevb

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a fallout from this, and vitriol from the replies to the original Facebook post, I wonder how many drivers drove just a little bit closer to an innocent cyclist on Monday morning Confused Confused
Chrace

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ps1970 wrote:
Tony Stark wrote:

Clearly not, from the way it is behaving. Would love to test the theory further with my road-legal MX bike though.

Agreed. That horse is about as bombproof as they come. Most horses would have bolted at the first couple of bikes passing at speed close by to the right.

I'm always cautious when meeting horses on the road, but also think that taking an animal on a road needs some ownership of responsibility and not simply expecting everyone to think horses are the greatest thing on the planet. Some horse riders think that. However, as seen in the video some bike riders are obviously f...ng c..ts. DQ isn't enough there, they should be well and truly fined for violating the highways code and endangering other people.

Courtesy goes both ways.

Lucky it wasn't the horse my wife used to ride. It was massive and had a dislike for bicycles. Used to swing its leg out on purpose...
ed_m

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huma Race Press Release...

http://humanrace.co.uk/news/press-statement-incident-windsor-triathlon/
explorerJC

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ed_m wrote:
Huma Race Press Release...

http://humanrace.co.uk/news/press-statement-incident-windsor-triathlon/

I am pleased to see that they won't give up on using the term Olympic distance....

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
BigFoz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way that big bunch of cyclists all blast past as the 2 idiots undertake, I reckon they were in a nice little peloton and the guys at the back didn't see the horse because they were only looking at the wheel they were drafting. Saw it late, had nowhere to go. That horse behaved very well for being clipped,. I've seen horses more skittish when I'm overtaking slowly on other side of road.
newMan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrace wrote:
ps1970 wrote:
Tony Stark wrote:

Agreed. That horse is about as bombproof as they come. Most horses would have bolted at the first couple of bikes passing at speed close by to the right.

I'm always cautious when meeting horses on the road, but also think that taking an animal on a road needs some ownership of responsibility and not simply expecting everyone to think horses are the greatest thing on the planet. Some horse riders think that. However, as seen in the video some bike riders are obviously f...ng c..ts. DQ isn't enough there, they should be well and truly fined for violating the highways code and endangering other people.

Courtesy goes both ways.

Lucky it wasn't the horse my wife used to ride. It was massive and had a dislike for bicycles. Used to swing its leg out on purpose...

Rather agree with this. I allow horses like the plague. They are so easily spooked. This one is very well manner.

I think it all started when I was running the North Downs Way. As I was approaching a horse I was just thinking about how to alert the rider when the horse bolted. The rider had a good moan at me.

My general impression is that most horses will jump at anything so will often take another road or stop completely to let them pass.
Jgav

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't see too much drafting at the race apart from one large peloton which came past, all on high end TT bikes (none in aero)...bellends!
kevb

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

newMan wrote:
Chrace wrote:
ps1970 wrote:
Tony Stark wrote:

Courtesy goes both ways.

Rather agree with this. I allow horses like the plague. They are so easily spooked. This one is very well manner.

I think it all started when I was running the North Downs Way. As I was approaching a horse I was just thinking about how to alert the rider when the horse bolted. The rider had a good moan at me.

My general impression is that most horses will jump at anything so will often take another road or stop completely to let them pass.

Saw this on a facebook post as was very surprised how much rear vision horses have. Looks like I need to adjust my riding to ensure I move out in very good time to get in the horses field of view and not cross through the blind spot;

Thing of the Fountains

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HORSE

TRI HORSE

mattsurf

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigFoz wrote:
The way that big bunch of cyclists all blast past as the 2 idiots undertake, I reckon they were in a nice little peloton and the guys at the back didn't see the horse because they were only looking at the wheel they were drafting. Saw it late, had nowhere to go. That horse behaved very well for being clipped,. I've seen horses more skittish when I'm overtaking slowly on other side of road.

I tend to agree with this.... you would be mad to deliberately pass on the inside, where there is almost no space.

Also I suspect that the at the race brief, riders were warned that crossing the center line would result in a DQ, you can see a couple of bike pass just to the left of the center line, even though the road ahead is straight an clear. In this case common sense would be to give the horse a good 2m clearance, I know I would, but would I risk a DQ?

I am sick and tired of people drafting so blatantly in Triathlons (There have been many complaints about this happening in Zug last weekend, so not just a UK issue). When I do a drafting ride with the club, we keep to groups of 12 or less, I know and trust the people I am riding with, obstructions like this are clearly indicated by lead bike, we have a no aerobar rule, even so there is the very rare crash. However, in a Triathlon, lead cyclist doesn't indicate an issue, half the riders are on aerobars without brakes, you have no idea how others will behave, its a crash waiting to happen (just look at IM Texas). Drafting is the bane of our sport, it is cheating and it is dangerous.

Finally, I am sickened by some of the comments posted on this video, some people have real issues with cyclists, I find it really upsetting that people hate me because by trying to keep myself fit and healthy, I am delaying them on their journey for another Burger/pizza/beer
ed_m

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

antht wrote:

I wouldn’t be surprised if the rider wasn’t warned about the race and chose to ignore it out of principle
There is always a lot missing from these videos

I'm amazed how entitled we become when the shoe is on the other hoof..... how indignant do we get when people suggest we shouldn't be on the road, use the cycle path, deliberately hold traffic up etc etc.

And yet somehow it's ok to question the integrity of someone out for their usual morning hack as being somehow culpable.

It's clear from the video that absolutely no one passed that horse sensibly and those clearly flouting the drafting rules left themselves with nowhere to go.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: