Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Wheel Rebuild Advice

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JaRok2300

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:30 pm    Post subject: Wheel Rebuild Advice Reply with quote

I've got a Powertap hub built up with a 28H Mavic Open Pro rim. I bought it 2nd hand a couple of years ago and it's never missed a beat being used year round in all conditions.

Anyway, last week I had a bit of a mishap involving a riding buddy falling on it and putting a sizable buckle into it, needing some roadside straightening to get it to rotate within the chain stays in order to get home.
I've had it trued but the mechanic tells me the rim is distorted so he's had to put a lot more tension on one side to keep it straight and isn't overly confident of it lasting.
I'll try it as it is but if it doesn't last my options seem to be:

Get another Open Pro rim for about £40 and he can rebuild with the same spokes, total cost @£70/80.

Or use it as a chance to upgrade which would involve new spokes too, thus increasing the cost further, over and above the rim price.

I'm leaning towards the Open Pro option as I want a year round wheel and it seems as good as any for that purpose but thought I'd check with you guys if there are any better options.
Cheers
iwaters

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would just get a new open pro. Unless you are going to take a quantum leap and go deep carbon you wont get much in the way of upgrade at all. These are 5 times the price of the open for example

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/prime-race-disc-road-wheelset/rp-prod156950?utm_source=crchub&utm_medium=buyingguide&utm_campaign=roadwheelupgrades

They only weight 25g less, that's not even a big poo.

I have open pros with a powertap hub. They have done 100s of kms and are completely fine, and that's with my fat arse on them. they are good solid wheels.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: