Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Cycling Shoe recommendation forarthritis in toe

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BackMarker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:38 pm    Post subject: Cycling Shoe recommendation forarthritis in toe Reply with quote

Looking for some help here,

I have arthritis in the underside of my big toe and ankle, though the main pain is when I push down on the pedals. Currently i use shimano carbon soled shoes which i feel make it much worse. Not cycled for a few weeks, cycled in today and its a LOT more painful.

anyone else get this problem/can recomend some shoes?
Crozza

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

now what you asked, but if you haven't had one, a bike fit may be in order
BackMarker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not had a bike fit, physio did say that the plane of pushing may be aggravating. Seems worse in the carbon soled shoes I guess, so any recomendations for softer more forgiving shoes the better.
Crozza

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trend seems to be towards making raod shoes stiffer and stiffer, so find out which shoes get the worst reviews and get some of those Laughing
ha ha ha

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know the answer, but I can sympathise. I have arthritis in my big toe, cycling is fine for me, toe joint bends about 15 degrees. Running use to hurt more than now and can be more painful if I don't run for a while. The doc told me that running on it was probably doing some good, 'buffing the bone like ivory' he said so when it moves it's not grinding bone on bone so badly. Anyhow, I can't sprint but can run.

There is an experimental thing called carticept that can replace the arthritic joint, the other alternative is fusion - no movement, no pain! But I don't like the sound of it
GrahamO

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have thought that a stiffer sole would be a good thing by keeping the foot/toe straight and from bending.

What am I missing here ?
big vern

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a broken toe and got some sorbothane heel pads and cut out the thinner end of them in the shape of my toe and taped to the underside on my cycling insole (sidi carbon sole) which allowed me to cycle with less pain once healing began, though it did feel odd.
BackMarker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrahamO wrote:
I would have thought that a stiffer sole would be a good thing by keeping the foot/toe straight and from bending.

What am I missing here ?

I have swelling/inflamed sesamoid area which is tender to touch. the carbon soles seemed to bring it on worse. I may go back to plastic, but was wondering if anyone else had similiar issue.
BackMarker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big vern wrote:
I had a broken toe and got some sorbothane heel pads and cut out the thinner end of them in the shape of my toe and taped to the underside on my cycling insole (sidi carbon sole) which allowed me to cycle with less pain once healing began, though it did feel odd.

vern, this sounds like a good idea. off to see a podiatrist also. as its stopping me do most things.... except go to the pub which seems fine somehow.
Doonhamer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aylish1809 wrote:
Hey friend,

I will suggest you to wear safety shoes, I can't assure you that they will definitely help you but i believe that they would be very useful for you. I think you should try atleast once. Hope this would help you.
Thanks!

+1

Safety shoes are the way forward.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: