Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Thames Trail 100 2012 - not long now!
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 99, 100, 101  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jim66

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:23 am    Post subject: Thames Trail 100 2012 - not long now! Reply with quote

Just a little challenge to keep the legs going and also some inspiration from the book Born to Run. The result is the Thames Trail 100miler in March 3rd 2012. Been perusing sites about how to train for this and everyone seems to be suggesting what appears to be quite contradictory. 3 or 4 x 5-8 miles runs during the week and then a long run at the weekend - pushing from 20 -35miles. The long run increases by about 5% each month and tops out at about 40miles. Lots of short stuff during the week amounting to about 25miles and a long run of about 25 as well. All in about 50 -55miles. Is that enough?
I know this kind of race has its own special disciplines - running at night, eating on the hoof, pushing through sleep, blisters, etc. So to any Ultrarunners out there who have done this type of thing - when did you start training for it and what types of runs did you squeeze in? Finally what type of injuries did you accrue if any. Is 48weeks enough - I feel it is but waiting for the experienced to chip in.
Cheers,
Jim

Last edited by jim66 on Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
chickenboy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've signed up for this too Shocked i've done a few ultras now but nothing over 90km so this will be a challenge. You pick pick up useful snippets from the folk over at www.themds.co.uk
jim66

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good man. Looking forward to sharing a few tips with you. On a personal vanity note-- did you find yourself losing a lot of weight and end up looking scrawny? You see the pictures of people who do this and they look fairly old, super skinny and bearded.
Thanks for the link and ordering blister plasters as we speak.
Stay well and happy training.
Cheers
Jim
chickenboy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jim66 wrote:
Good man. Looking forward to sharing a few tips with you. On a personal vanity note-- did you find yourself losing a lot of weight and end up looking scrawny? You see the pictures of people who do this and they look fairly old, super skinny and bearded.
Thanks for the link and ordering blister plasters as we speak.
Stay well and happy training.
Cheers
Jim

not really, TBH there are quite a few Fat fellas doing ultras. i'm 18% body fat and 83kg's and probably end up top third of the field. I intend on losing some fat over the next few months, but not ridiculously so, i think i just eat too much crap, so dairy and refined carbs are out now. Its nothing to do with trying to get a six pack for summer Rolling Eyes No worries re the link, theyre a good bunch of friendly folk, and some mentally tough bu*gers.
2 scheds

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take it your leg is completely healed now Jim?!?!

Good man, looks like a great challenge.

Endure strong and happy training.

Smile
TransitionTed

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH FFS, Jim

don't start me on this, ive already got plans Mad
theprawn

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

might be worth sticking a post on the enduroman thread jim, lots of ultra types posting on there.
jim66

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the replies lads and good to hear about the weight as well. I am currently 81kgs and really do not want to drop below 78kgs as I look too gaunt and unwell.
2Scheds - the ankle is ticking over right now, still cannot lower it properly but not sore. The vague plan is to run some looseness and elasticity into it. But that is only a plan.
Graeme H is possibly doing it as well and a sub 20hrs race has been mentioned - might need a reconsider on that one.
Cheers
Jim
p00key

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ooo This looks interesting . I am doing the West Highland Way Race in June , and if all goes well , I may be up for this in 2012 Smile
Poet

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This could do with being in the EVENTS thread and with a Thames ULtra 100 Mile Run 2012 title Wink Anyhow...

...Listen to some Zen triathlon podcasts on the lead up to Rocky Racoon, both this year and last. Changes of socks, shoes and pre-blister plasters seem to be the name of the game.

It also appears to be more mental than physical. Double run days and running long back to back (say, 20 miles on Friday night, then another 20 on Saturday morning - recovering for 24 hours, then doing, say, 15 miles on Sunday evening, then monday off seems sensible to me)
chickenboy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the back to back long runs are the way to go rather than all out 40mile in one go. When i did Mds, i peaked at three 20mile + runs friday/sat/sun, which worked quite well. May have to tweak this a little for the 100 but essentially i reckon its all about the feet and head. Very Happy
veggieboy

Location: Wearing Hokas/Altras/Sketchers and Ashmei - looking good is more important than running fast

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Myself and Martinp and SJB (all of the Enduroman thread) plus my mate Glyn are already signed up

Could be a TT party

As to training

Don't just do one method, mix it all up ie odd really long runs, some back to backs, some double run days, quite a few shorter ones

Keep it ever changing and always interesting and don't feck yourself by building up too quickly

Also, have a look at Centurion runner's training records via his blog and see what he is up to

But I'm still not going to swim
jim66

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is going to be great by the sounds of it - a TriTalk ultra fest. Banter on the run, tips between now and then and possibly some smackdown offerings. If TC enters my money is on him. How could we go about organising a TriTalk pace crew? Looking to all the crack this thread will bring.
Cheers all
Jim
veggieboy

Location: Wearing Hokas/Altras/Sketchers and Ashmei - looking good is more important than running fast

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jim66 wrote:
This is going to be great by the sounds of it - a TriTalk ultra fest. Banter on the run, tips between now and then and possibly some smackdown offerings. If TC enters my money is on him. How could we go about organising a TriTalk pace crew? Looking to all the crack this thread will bring.
Cheers all
Jim

But hang around with martinp because he knows the way in the dark between Henley and Oxford

But I'm still not going to swim
dr dre

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moved to events for you

and this is the Ultra year didnt you know Cool

i am doing this with a couple for other TTers

few places left

( Sept 24th 30mile canal side run Strat-Bham )

http://www.entrycentral.com/index.php?raceID=101024
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 99, 100, 101  Next
Page 1 of 101

Jump to: