Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Newcomers Welcome Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 307, 308, 309, 310  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tri'ing Swimmer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Similar story to philyc, former pool swimmer and always followed tri so time to give it a go. Did an olympic this summer and decided then to go straight for an IM next summer so started training and have been lurking around here for a couple of months to see how to go about it. Looking forward to the new kind of challenge!
n0timportant

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the welcome! I'm aiming for my first race to be a sprint so hopefully I'll be able to run the distance by then Smile

Cheers!
The Black Sheep

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject: Hi Reply with quote

Hi All,

As to be expected on an intro board I'm new to the forum and also to the idea of doing a (sprint) triathlon. I'm a 42, 16 stone bloke who has mainly over the years played rugby and drunk beer with a bit of casual climbing and cycling thrown in. A year last June i popped a couple of discs in my back, partly as a result of having weakened core strength at the time from chest to groin surgery the previous year. Anyway all that retired me from rugby so in 2016 I started swimming more regularly to get some basic level of fitness and improve my core strength. It worked well and by the end of the year i was swimming 2km a couple of times a week. I was also able to up my cycling and could go out and do 50km on a weekend with several commutes in the week as well (15-25km depending on the chosen route). In November the wife suggested I start running with her, which I did and surprised my self by enjoying it. Ironic as being a forward i always tried to avoid running when playing rugby Very Happy
Anyway that brings me up to now and last Sunday I ran 10km in just under an hour which is the longest distance I have done so far. So the next idea (seemingly very popular for 40 something blokes) is a triathlon which is why im here. So Hi to everyone Very Happy
JaRok2300

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Black Sheep
I'm similar age, size and background to you, done a few sprints and Olympics, currently toying with whether I can make the commitment to go further.
All the best with your training.
The Black Sheep

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaRok2300 wrote:
Hi Black Sheep
I'm similar age, size and background to you, done a few sprints and Olympics, currently toying with whether I can make the commitment to go further.
All the best with your training.

Cheers for the reply, how did you find your first sprint and how much training had you done before hand. The pool and transitions (especially pool to bike) are the bits that I think will perplex me the most. No idea how group swimming will work.
JaRok2300

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really enjoyed by first race, having been overweight most of my life it felt like a real achievement just to take part in anything like that. I'd done enough training to get round @16/17mph on bike and 30mins for the 5k with the goal of not walking.

Never really practiced swim to bike as not the easiest thing to set up outside a race. You can practice the transition part though, lay everything out in the order you're going to put them on and go though the process a few times for any snags. I never leave my shoes on the bike as the few seconds this saves are of no relevance to me but the potential to crash is.
If it's a pool swim you'll usually be seeded by your expected time so should be in with 3/4 similar swimmers and not get in each others way too much.

Have you entered a race yet as someone on here will know about it and give specific advice as some work a little differently to others. E.g. Changing lanes during the swim.
The Black Sheep

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaRok2300 wrote:

Have you entered a race yet as someone on here will know about it and give specific advice as some work a little differently to others. E.g. Changing lanes during the swim.

Not entered yet but this is the one i had my eye on.

http://www.racetime-events.co.uk/events/leicester-sprint-triathlon/

If anyone has competed in it some info on how the swim and T1 are done that would be fantastic.

Cheeers
JaRok2300

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know that one myself and could only see 2016 results on the website so may be relatively new.
There seems to be some good race info on the links and it appears very beginner friendly in terms of the way the instructions are written.
Get there in plenty of time and have a good look round to check out where the transition entrances/exits are (they may be different for bike/run) and if you've got any doubts ask a marshal.
Ps. If you can ride/run the course beforehand that is always a big help as you know where the hills/turns etc. are
The Black Sheep

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaRok2300 wrote:

Ps. If you can ride/run the course beforehand that is always a big help as you know where the hills/turns etc. are

Thats one of the reasons for choosing this one, its about 20km away from where i live so can ride out to the start point, do the route and ride home again. So convenient for scoping the route as well as having a nice weekend ride out Very Happy
IceCreamMan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good morning

As way of introduction, currently living in Johannesburg, ZA and relocating back to the UK in July. (hence signing on here) . Started swimming again 4 years ago at age 47 and the triathlon disease took hold of me shortly afterwards. Completed a number of half distances and a couple of full distances in the interim. Have entered the African championships in
April which will be my last full distance. My body just cant handle it Smile . I never bother the front Age groupers being a solid back marker cept for the swim.

Entered Weymouth 70.3 in September. Looking forward to it.

If anyone wants to ask me any questions about the African championships or any other even in ZA please feel free to PM me and I will reply. I have good knowledge of all the ZA events.

Cheers
Roscoemck

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

Started posting without introducing myself, so here goes!

I'm a 49 year old bloke from Glasgow. Always been into cycling and running, more so in the last year. My obsession with cycling has somehow morphed into being very interested in triathlon.

Average runner/cyclist, I try hard. Can't swim at all well, hence the reason for starting lessons.

Got my sights set on the Bishopbriggs sprint in May, that's my goal! Want to be in a position to do Ironman Edinburgh in 2018 to coincide with my 50th.
RACHELALLAN

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject: hello to everyone Reply with quote

Hey every one I am RACHEL ALLAN , I am a dress designer .Live In USA. Cool
explorerJC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

having seen some of TTers dress sense...you could be a welcome addition Smile

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Vysie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all, thought I'd register and introduce my self, my back story is I went to 17st at my largest and felt rubbish about it but did nothing but carry on, I then started dreaming of the beach body etc. Well I quit the fags and took up road cycling, last summer I got serious with my bike and upgraded to a good quality road bike. Telling the wife it's needed to improve myself. Well that's dropped me down to a little over 13st now so I think it's early it's place in the lounge, one night at work the plan was hatched a few I ride with would enter a triathlon!!!!!! My swimming I thought was fine as I swam for county as a kid, just running so I thought,
Needless to say we have entered a sprint called the miners.
So iv took to a training plan doing the 18km on the bike either indoors on the trainer or in the morning after work. Then as I have a water park next to ours I run the park twice a week doing a 5km my time for this is shocking but I'm no runner. Swimming wise I do 1/2 a mile most days in the school pool as it's open to the public,
My plan is to finish this first one no bars to set nothing to prove just compete and finish, so that's me a 34yr old dad of 2 from Tamworth
Jgav

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vysie wrote:
Hi all, thought I'd register and introduce my self, my back story is I went to 17st at my largest and felt rubbish about it but did nothing but carry on, I then started dreaming of the beach body etc. Well I quit the fags and took up road cycling, last summer I got serious with my bike and upgraded to a good quality road bike. Telling the wife it's needed to improve myself. Well that's dropped me down to a little over 13st now so I think it's early it's place in the lounge, one night at work the plan was hatched a few I ride with would enter a triathlon!!!!!! My swimming I thought was fine as I swam for county as a kid, just running so I thought,
Needless to say we have entered a sprint called the miners.
So iv took to a training plan doing the 18km on the bike either indoors on the trainer or in the morning after work. Then as I have a water park next to ours I run the park twice a week doing a 5km my time for this is shocking but I'm no runner. Swimming wise I do 1/2 a mile most days in the school pool as it's open to the public,
My plan is to finish this first one no bars to set nothing to prove just compete and finish, so that's me a 34yr old dad of 2 from Tamworth

Similar to me (29 yo dad of 2) except I'm an ok runner, it's my cycling which is shocking! Good luck with the training. For running, try running at different speeds during the 5k (for training) as it's good to understand how it feels to go a bit faster, even if you can't maintain faster paces yet.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 307, 308, 309, 310  Next
Page 308 of 310

Jump to: