Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Renewal of BTF membership - prices
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:01 pm    Post subject: Renewal of BTF membership - prices Reply with quote

Does anyone else think there is a massive hike in BTF membership costs this year? I checked what I paid last year for my Coach Plus which gives me all the benefits for coaching as well as a race license. This year I see it's £83!!! Confused
stenard

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what's happened at the coaching level, but the main athlete memberships have a range of new bands. I've had quite a few emails about them.

From what I could tell, the new expensive one really doesnt give you that much. Some extra injury protection (still pretty rubbish), a bigger discount on bike insurance (which I don't need) and a different gift.
iwaters

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks reminded me to cancel my auto-renewal. Will probably only do 2 tris this year so not worth it for me.
JeffB

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has gone up a fair bit depending on which option you go for, it seems the insurance is the main difference, although the top one does cover you for IM's abroad, although some holiday insurance does cover that anyway.

I've actually just renewed.

Jeff
hammerer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coach plus I paid £74 last year a a club member so its gone up about a tenner for me. i havent checked the benefits though to see if there is any extra for that. to be fair its well worth it even at the increased price
stenard

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I don't consider either BTF or my club membership fees remotely "expensive"
Doca

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably gone up to cover the Zwift pods Evil or Very Mad
Jan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hammerer wrote:
Coach plus I paid £74 last year a a club member so its gone up about a tenner for me. i havent checked the benefits though to see if there is any extra for that. to be fair its well worth it even at the increased price

I only paid £50 for Coach Plus Club Member. Strange? I will pay but just wondered why the big price increase. I will call BTF sometime.
hammerer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jan wrote:
hammerer wrote:

I only paid £50 for Coach Plus Club Member. Strange? I will pay but just wondered why the big price increase. I will call BTF sometime.

These were the prices when announced in 2017 :-

COACH ESSENTIAL CLUB MEMBER COACH PLUS CLUB MEMBER
Triathlon England £51 £40 £85 £74
Welsh Triathlon £51 £40 £85 £74
Triathlon Scotland £40 £36 £74 £70
Hiphophopper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These membership taxes are getting ridiculous...!

Currently, I'm paying:

Cycling Club membership
British Cycling race licence
Swimming Club membership
ASA membership

When my local tri club was asking £50/ year membership...plus £5 for each session...I suggested that they might like to 'do one..'

I wouldn't mind so much if the British Cycling and British Triathlon could be connected, but I don't see why I should be expected to pay for 2 sets of insurance for the same thing.

rant over...for now
stenard

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But why are you paying for both? Because you are racing both types of event? If so, then as they are different sports, it's not exactly to be unexpected you have to pay two NGB membership fees.

If you play football and rugby, you need to join the FA and RFU. You can't just pay only one as they're both played on grass fields.
awildt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
But why are you paying for both? Because you are racing both types of event? If so, then as they are different sports, it's not exactly to be unexpected you have to pay two NGB membership fees.

If you play football and rugby, you need to join the FA and RFU. You can't just pay only one as they're both played on grass fields.

Totally agree with you.

However, here's a thought. On the continent, a triathlon licence allows you to compete in triathlons, as well as, swimming, cycling, and running events.

The French athletics federation have spat their dummies a bit so triathletes couldn't use a tri licence for running events for a while. I've no idea if this has been resolved or not.

But my point is - there is an argument for an integrated approach. However, the post above is kind of stating the blindingly obvious in the current situation, so that's why I'd agree with you Stenard.
stenard

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awildt wrote:
stenard wrote:

Totally agree with you.

However, here's a thought. On the continent, a triathlon licence allows you to compete in triathlons, as well as, swimming, cycling, and running events.

The French athletics federation have spat their dummies a bit so triathletes couldn't use a tri licence for running events for a while. I've no idea if this has been resolved or not.

But my point is - there is an argument for an integrated approach. However, the post above is kind of stating the blindingly obvious in the current situation, so that's why I'd agree with you Stenard.

I can see some logic to it, but ultimately they are all different sports with different NGB's that have different funding streams, and different objectives.

The risk factors involved in putting on road races, or crits, varies significantly compared to a non-drafting triathlon event. It's why most bike insurance policies are happy to cover your bike for tri's or sportives as standard, but won't cover you for simple cycle racing. It's understandable given the much higher propensity for bunch crashes, and so you need something more specific/bespoke. I can see the same logic applies to the various public liability insurances each NGB obtains on a members behalf.

I pay for BTF and EA - I would hazard a guess I make my money back on both via reduced entry fees for triathlons and running events.
hammerer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiphophopper wrote:

Currently, I'm paying:

Cycling Club membership
Swimming Club membership
ASA membership

When my local tri club was asking £50/ year membership...plus £5 for each session...I suggested that they might like to 'do one..'

I wouldn't mind so much if the British Cycling and British Triathlon could be connected, but I don't see why I should be expected to pay for 2 sets of insurance for the same thing.

rant over...for now

I ran a tri club. we charged 35 a year and £3 a swim. Its now the same as you pay. Maybe you want to understand some of the costs? ie BTF fees £105 a year, pool hire typically anywhere between 70 - 250 per hour, coach about £20 - £25 an hour each, (although many volunteer) first aid courses, coach ed , You then have website fees, paypal fees, BC membership UKA membership, track / cycling hire , we paid 130 a week for a safe cycling space. cones, and other infrastructure to enable sessions to run. When you adopt a pay as a play membership scheme you have to make sure you cover the short fall weeks. Its why many clubs go for the annual fee now of about £250 for all sessions to enable simple budgeting. Do you actually think clubs make a profit. All the money is usually reinvested and as most are CASC then on disolving the left over funds goes to the named charity.

Out of all the thing you pay for and you complain about clubs covering costs to give you a safe environment to train in with qualified coaching.

AS for NGB fees, lets not go there. You dont need to join them all if you dont use them
fat buddha

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiphophopper wrote:

Currently, I'm paying:

Cycling Club membership
Swimming Club membership
ASA membership

rant over...for now

but you're completely missing the point here. how does an individual club tailor a package that covers the odd few people who are also members of a different, if associated, sports club? it's simply not possible as the sports governing bodies have their own setups and run independently of each other.

if you choose to belong to 3 clubs that's your choice - nobody is forcing you to do so
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: