Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Bye Sky
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pedro Peru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatPom wrote:
Pedro Peru wrote:
From a quick google their budget looks fairly mid-table. I was surprised how many teams spend more myself.
https://www.velonews.com/2018/07/tour-de-france/rival-tour-de-france-teams-resigned-to-skys-budget-advantage_473476

Yeah but still streets ahead of Quickstep and Trek (especially Trek next year).

Landis is in the market for riders Very Happy

TBH they were all just for illustration, I hadn't googled their budgets but you know what I mean.
FatPom

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pedro Peru wrote:
FatPom wrote:
Pedro Peru wrote:
From a quick google their budget looks fairly mid-table. I was surprised how many teams spend more myself.
https://www.velonews.com/2018/07/tour-de-france/rival-tour-de-france-teams-resigned-to-skys-budget-advantage_473476

TBH they were all just for illustration, I hadn't googled their budgets but you know what I mean.

I was staggered that Sky (the company) had that kind of coin to throw around. They are a sinking ship that's been torpedoed by Netflix and Amazon.
Pedro Peru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like the accountants agree with you.

I wonder if there'll be any mention of bike racing on Sky Sports news when they drop sponsorship?
FoulOleRon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatPom wrote:
Pedro Peru wrote:
FatPom wrote:
Pedro Peru wrote:

I was staggered that Sky (the company) had that kind of coin to throw around. They are a sinking ship that's been torpedoed by Netflix and Amazon.

I thought their subscription revenues were increasing yearly?
Jan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was staggered that Sky (the company) had that kind of coin to throw around. They are a sinking ship that's been torpedoed by Netflix and Amazon.[/quote]

Amazon - Potential sponsors then maybe??
SGreg

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatPom wrote:

With over £1bn in profits, last year one can assume it's a drop in the ocean, actually.

Not bad for a sinking ship.
stenard

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find the sinking ship comment rather intriguing. I would never give up actual broadcast TV. And I don't have a single netflix/amazon prime/etc type subscription.

Maybe I am an outlier though.
FatPom

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGreg wrote:
FatPom wrote:

With over £1bn in profits, last year one can assume it's a drop in the ocean, actually.

Not bad for a sinking ship.

Down from the previous year though I think. The trend seems to be for ARPU on individual subs to be increasing but churn is alarming.

I work in a related industry and 18mths retention of a sub is usually what it takes break even. The cost of a losing a sub is huge.

People don't tend to adjust their mix with a service like SKY (as opposed to mobile) they keep adding to it, accepting the increases and then cut the cord altogether.

Personally, I'm with Virgin TV but only because I live in a conservation house, which means I'm not allowed an ariel. Moving house tomorrow and we've bought one with a Freesat dish already there, so a £150 Humax box and a £6 p/m TV Plus (for Eurosport) suits our needs. We are not huge tv watchers and I only need recording for WSB and BSB races really.

I don't know or have talked to a single person who is thinking of joining Sky, only leaving.
Roscoemck

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be interesting to see who steps in.

Ultra successful team, almost guaranteed at least one Grand Tour victory each year. Lots of publicity (good and not so good), British identity (just!).

All for less than the cost of a premiership centre half.

Wonder if Mike Ashley’s thinking about it? Nice tie in with Evans and Sports Direct. Don’t know if the riders would like the zero hours contracts mind you.

Richard Branson? Team Virgin!

Elon Musk now that James Murdoch is CEO? Don’t know if his cars would have the range for team support though.

I have a feeling they’ll still be around and still as successful.
Whisk

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon they'll struggle to find a replacement sponsor willing to stump up anything near the amount that Sky are currently paying. There are plenty of very successful teams that have folded when their title sponsor has bailed (e.g. Highroad, Discovery).

Despite its' rise in popularity as a mass participation sport, cycling is still very much a minority spectator sport, particularly in this country. Aside from the Tour for 3 weeks every year and the Olympics every 4 years, I think very few people watch cycling compared with other sports. I don't think cycling sponsorship offers a great return for most companies unless they have a specific link to the sport and the risk of negative publicity if there is a doping scandal is very high.
Roscoemck

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whisk wrote:
I reckon they'll struggle to find a replacement sponsor willing to stump up anything near the amount that Sky are currently paying. There are plenty of very successful teams that have folded when their title sponsor has bailed (e.g. Highroad, Discovery).

Despite its' rise in popularity as a mass participation sport, cycling is still very much a minority spectator sport, particularly in this country. Aside from the Tour for 3 weeks every year and the Olympics every 4 years, I think very few people watch cycling compared with other sports. I don't think cycling sponsorship offers a great return for most companies unless they have a specific link to the sport and the risk of negative publicity if there is a doping scandal is very high.

I’m sure I read somewhere that £4£, the exposure was cheaper than the likes of F1, football.

Maybe Red Bull will take a punt. Would be a fraction of what they put into F1 and they already sponsor triathlon, cyclo cross and mountain biking.
Andy916

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatPom wrote:

Personally, I'm with Virgin TV but only because I live in a conservation house, which means I'm not allowed an ariel. Moving house tomorrow and we've bought one with a Freesat dish already there, so a £150 Humax box and a £6 p/m TV Plus (for Eurosport) suits our needs. We are not huge tv watchers and I only need recording for WSB and BSB races really.

I don't know or have talked to a single person who is thinking of joining Sky, only leaving.

Also on Virgin but moving soon to non-cable remote area. How to get MotoGP though (ch5 highlights I suppose, bit lame though)
JaRok2300

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in a non-cable area but get Moto GP through my Broadband on BT TV
Tri'ing Swimmer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello to Team Ineos? Unlikely much fear of declining budgets
GrahamO

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tri'ing Swimmer wrote:
Hello to Team Ineos? Unlikely much fear of declining budgets

Or British billionaire Sir Jim Ratcliffe could be Team Sky’s new backer
Read more at https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/latest-news/british-billionaire-sir-jim-ratcliffe-sponsor-team-sky-bigger-budget-according-sources-410723#ljt1078fsiBhFYAG.99
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: