Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Upgrade advice - wheels / bike

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stenard

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:05 am    Post subject: Upgrade advice - wheels / bike Reply with quote

[Now re-posting in the correct sub section! Rolling Eyes]

So, I'm looking at finally taking the plunge on some better wheels. One of the motivations is Nice 70.3 as my current alu rim setup is going to be a significant weight penalty. I also think I've previously mentioned that my rear disc has some small warping of the alu brake track which result in quite excessive "pulsing" under heavy braking. On flat races this isnt an issue as the brakes are hardly used, but on a long descent, this could be a bigger problem.

The fall back option is an old zipp 404 with alu rim, built with a redundant PT hub (I have a crank based PM).

What would the recommendations be for an aero set of carbon rims that are going to give me some weight saving uphill but still be safe coming back down? I'm not really willing to spend top level zipp prices, especially as if I go carbon then I'd feel the need to also have some carbon training wheels. Changing brake pads isn't the end of the word at the front, but at the rear it requires removal of the crank which I'd rather not.

Current thinking is Parcours. Used by Laura Siddall and Adam Bowden, as well as a KQ in my club.

I could get two sets of wheels (a shallower set, plus disc and front) for under £2k. Tubeless ready is also of interest for the race set.

Alternatively, with the Etape in July and only having a relatively budget road bike (specs here), I'm wondering if I could just get more for my money by upgrading there and getting some decent wheels thrown into that. Moving 11sp di2 on the road bike would make maintenance easier (aligns with TT). And something lighter and much more aero might even mean it could be a legitimate option for Nice? Di2 would mean sticking on some clip ons with shifters becomes a realistic alternative to the TT.

Something like this (https://www.boardmanbikes.com/gb_en/products/2214-2018-air-9.6.html) would seem appealing. The wheels alone are £2k at Sigma sports.

But then I'd still need to spend something like another £1k+ on a set of race wheels / at least a disc for flatter races.

Any thoughts? With something like the etape, where I'm simply looking to do it for the experience, would using carbon rims be a silly idea? What about Nice?

Ultimately, I need to replace the current rear disc short to medium term, so it seems sensible to consider now where I want to go with wheelsets.
Whisk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really answering your main question, but if I was buying a new road bike, there's no way I'd go for something with rim brakes. Most of the big manufacturers have gone disc on pretty much everything they sell now. Rim brakes obviously still work, but you're buying soon-to-be-obsolete technology.

If you're not on discs, I would avoid carbon rims for the Etape unless you are a super-confident descender. If it's dry then you run the risk of overheating the rims on the descents and if it's wet, the braking is just terrifying.
stenard

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whisk wrote:
Not really answering your main question, but if I was buying a new road bike, there's no way I'd go for something with rim brakes. Most of the big manufacturers have gone disc on pretty much everything they sell now. Rim brakes obviously still work, but you're buying soon-to-be-obsolete technology

That's a fair comment. But also a complicated one. I'm happy with my TT bike, and can't see changing that for years, so for me it would seem a mistake to move to disc brakes when I don't "compete" on the road bike. 95% of rides using it will only ever be training rides / sportives, where I can just take my time.

Point taken on carbon rims for the etape. Which probably leaves me using the 404 rear with PT hub. I think that's the lightest rear wheel I have.
Doca

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have flo's www.flocycling.com and I am happy with them, they are cheap good aero wheels & get a good rep on slowtwitch, we unfortunately though have to pay import tax which ups the price. Still worth a look though, lots of good info on their site & the podcasts are really good too.

That said though I would have thought with people moving over to disc the second hand stuff would be good value, my brother has just sold a very expensive set of Eastons at a good price.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can't/won't throw money at the 'project' i.e. like buying an aero road (disc) bike you could use in both events, like the Canyon Aeroad or Super Six, then your best bet is to just stick to your guns if you don't want full carbon rims. No alloy rim/carbon wheel is going to offer much weight advantage over your older Zipps.

I have never bothered changing brake pads between wheels; I just inspect them and clean/sand them before races when I ride my carbon wheels. I always used Yellowstop, but Black Prince were recommended to me, which I now use. Not tried them in the wet yet, but LBS guy says they're step-change from Yellows in the wet.

My Endurace has Reynolds Assaults (41mm/disc) they are very nice wheels. My TT bike has a selection of vintage Zipp tubular wheels! My old 900 disc has glass fibre brake track, which is effectively like glass Smile Mad
Buzz_

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
Whisk wrote:
Not really answering your main question, but if I was buying a new road bike, there's no way I'd go for something with rim brakes. Most of the big manufacturers have gone disc on pretty much everything they sell now. Rim brakes obviously still work, but you're buying soon-to-be-obsolete technology

That's a fair comment. But also a complicated one. I'm happy with my TT bike, and can't see changing that for years, so for me it would seem a mistake to move to disc brakes when I don't "compete" on the road bike. 95% of rides using it will only ever be training rides / sportives, where I can just take my time.

That being the case, is the Boardman Air really the right bike? It's pretty race orientated, whereas the SLR would be more sportive specific. Picking your road bike on the basis of the aero wheels it come with would be a bit cart before the horse.

I think 2nd hand wheels would be the way to go. Or if you can find a friendly bike shop that will swap the wheels out on a more sportive friendly frame, that's what I managed to do when I bought my TT, I already had some aero wheels so they let be add something more road specific and keep the difference. Helps that I have 3 bikes take 10-speed rim brakes so I can swap wheels at will. Gonna be expensive when I do look to upgrade though!
Pedro Peru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you decide to buy 2nd hand wheels the timetriallingforum usually has good value wheels on there. Personally I would do that or buy from a reputable Chinese seller on ebay, there's a few.
stenard

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buzz_ wrote:
Picking your road bike on the basis of the aero wheels it come with would be a bit cart before the horse.

That's a fair point. It was more of an example of where you can get a lot of bike for not much more than ticking the new wheels box, but you are correct that I probably want to identify exactly where I want to go wheel wise if that is the primary problem to solve.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: