Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Newcomers Welcome Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 308, 309, 310  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fast slow twitch

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 7:12 pm    Post subject: Newcomers Welcome Thread Reply with quote

Noticed that there's loads of new members but generally same names appear.

Idea So, if people want, they can stop here, introduce themselves etc and get a good TT welcome.
"Deep in my cells I know there's something bad at the end if I don't get through it. This keeps me honest. It keeps me scared. I am stronger because I know there is a consequence. I know I can't get away with slacking off. . Mark Twight, Ice Climber
budgie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 4:58 pm    Post subject: Hello Reply with quote

Just joined up with TT and thought I'd say hi........er Very Happy HI
FYI
I'm a 45 year old bloke,married with two kids living in the Merseyside area.
I regularly train with a bunch of guy and gals from the Warrington area.
Never done Tri before so this year I've entered Chester Oly Triathlon in June and also the Mold and Denbigh Sprint Triathlon events.

My background is one of general athletics and keeep fit routines .....anything really from aerobics/kickboxing to marathon running.

I'm a long time out of any kind of competition (20 years!) after regularly running for a local athletics club.
I think it's fair to say my attraction to Tri has something to do with the male midlife crisis Very Happy
Looking forward to getting involved with this group and the sport.

Yours in Sport
Paul

BTW Anyone know any good safe locations for OW Swim practice in the Merseyside/NW area?
Sue

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Budgie Very Happy
looks like you have some tri plans already and also like minded folk to train with which is great.
There is lots of expertese on TT if you have questions-we are all learning to some extent Cool And all of us have this common interest in tri's --but be warned, you can end up motivated to do sooooo much more then you' ever thought and spend sooooo much more money than you should --well only you boys bcause you like toys Wink
There are also lots of TT'ers in ths same boat as you --awaitng their 1st tri's this season Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi budgie

Think Chester TRI might arrange open water swims, defintiely Manchester tri do in salford Quays during the spring summer time. Looking at going down them myself. It's either that or the Mersey, wonder what jabs i'd need for thet one?????

MB
fast slow twitch

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Budgie

I am originally from Liverpool, now living in exile in Wales.

I am doing Mold and maybe Denbigh Tri and hopefully Liverpool which has just been announced.

Say maybe Denbigh cause its got a massive climb upto the castle. It hurts the legs, and as I am doing a 2up Time Trial with the organiser on Sunday, I reckon I will get him back early.

I hope you stick around. Good luck.
"Deep in my cells I know there's something bad at the end if I don't get through it. This keeps me honest. It keeps me scared. I am stronger because I know there is a consequence. I know I can't get away with slacking off. . Mark Twight, Ice Climber
budgie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for the welcome Smile
Back soon with comments and questions .......
Working nights at the mo Sad

Budgie
Captain Fat

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Budgie Welcome

from Widnes originaly now live in Stoke

and i know how the night's thing mess training up i thought i had put mine behind me but got a few shifts coming up in the next 2 weeks.

do you train when you do night's Question i have treid to mainly coming off shift, also tried biking to and from work and running (only 5 mile from work) but never sure if it is good thing or bad thing as you can't realt train to hard.

Cougie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to recall that Mold Tri has a pretty nasty climb on it ? Brings you out at the top of the Sunspot I think ?? We bumped into all these girls in swimsuits on bikes one sunday last year and had to follow them back to the source. Smile
budgie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

connor66 wrote:
Budgie Welcome

from Widnes originaly now live in Stoke

and i know how the night's thing mess training up i thought i had put mine behind me but got a few shifts coming up in the next 2 weeks.

do you train when you do night's Question i have treid to mainly coming off shift, also tried biking to and from work and running (only 5 mile from work) but never sure if it is good thing or bad thing as you can't realt train to hard.

Hi connor66
Yes I do train when I'm on nights.
My night shifts comprise of three 12hr nights on, three days off, then three 12hr days on, followed by three days off and so on...........
So for me shifts is a plus point in terms of "days" off work even though I do an average of40 hrs a week.
After working this pattern for over 20years now I'm obviously well used to the peaks and troughs of how I am able to train.
Following nights my percieved effort of whatever training is the same, however, the measured performance is lower.
Can't run as fast, cycle or swim as well and concentration is poor etc.

I've got used to it and try not to let it be an excuse not to train as hard as I can whatever the shift cycle throws at me.
Indeed I don't often train with stop watches or heart monitors because of the "variables" of my battle with a disrupted internal clock.

Sorry if I've gone off on one here but anyone else here doing shifts may experience something of the same.

Does this thread need moving now Confused
Sue

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Budgie
Quote:
Does this thread need moving now

--ah, only our master TT or his "friend" Admin. can do things like that Cool

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Budgie!

If you're looking for additional motivation you've come to the right place! I've just done my first novice tri and the guys and gals here are a big help.

I live in Warrington and am often cycling round South Warrington or plodding along the trans-pennine trail. Sprint

Dunc
budgie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Thanks to all ...........time to rest

Smile Sleep
Ping Pong Boy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought I'd better say Hello. I registered a while back but haven't yet posted on these forums despite reading them fairly regularly. Some of those that came over from Runners World forums may recognise the nickname.

I've been running and competing (well competing against myslef mainly)in run races for a couple of years but only took up Triathlon at the start of this year. So far I've completed one novice triathlon in a shockingly slow time. I saw almost my entire heat pass me on the bike and swim having finished about 5th out of 20 after the run (the race was in the order Run - Bike - Swim).

Well that is all from me for now. Generally I still reside on the runnersworld forums but I'll try and post more regularly here as well.

Cheers

PPB.
Sue

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oerrr Ping Pong Boy
--sounds like a backward tri to me Shocked But well done for completing it Clap I'm an "at the back" type of person -but goals are to work gradually up from the bottom Wink

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome PPB.

Run, bike, swim - don't think I'd like that format, but I can see the logic in it at this time of year.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 308, 309, 310  Next
Page 1 of 310

Jump to: