Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Ride London 100
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GrahamO

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hammerer wrote:
Do you know for fact they are potentially filtering out DNS and DNF or just making it up?

I expressed a view. Filtering will generally try and keep people in an event who are likely to finish. Whats the point of an event where you lose credibility because a large number don't finish. You don't collect data to filter to keep all those unlikely to finish do you ?

Yeah, lets filter out all the people who will finish in less than 9 hours as that'll really help.

Do you know for a fact that they are not ?
hammerer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrahamO wrote:

I expressed a view. Filtering will generally try and keep people in an event who are likely to finish. Whats the point of an event where you lose credibility because a large number don't finish. You don't collect data to filter to keep all those unlikely to finish do you ?

Yeah, lets filter out all the people who will finish in less than 9 hours as that'll really help.

really? just a view? >>

GrahamO wrote:

Not really - when you are 8-10 times oversubscribed and you get 10% nt even starting because they hadn't bothered to do any mileage or another 10% drop out because they have never cycled more than 30 miles, its to be applauded they try and filter potential DNf and DNS's out in the first place.

OGraham, doesn't look like "a view" to me ^^

GrahamO wrote:
Do you know for a fact that they are not ?

I didnt say anything either way. I dont know why they want strava logins, I just opted out of that question so they have no idea if I can go sub 4 or sub 9. Maybe I wont get a spot in the FredFest100 next year.
GrahamO

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is you're just just being awkward and interpreting what you want to see. Its okay, I understand - you see a view you disagree with, and look to automatically turn it into a fight.

From a Strava login they can certainly tell statistically if you're likely to do 4 or 9 hours.

I understand you're an IT person - you really ought to know better than most what can be done with data analytics.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrahamO wrote:
The problem is you're just just being awkward and interpreting what you want to see. Its okay, I understand - you see a view you disagree with, and look to automatically turn it into a fight.

Rofl Have you got your entry in for next year's Ironyman 70.3 Dubai?
hammerer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrahamO wrote:

From a Strava login they can certainly tell statistically if you're likely to do 4 or 9 hours.

I understand you're an IT person - you really ought to know better than most what can be done with data analytics.

no Im reading what you wrote. I know what they may do. I just dont usually spout my opinions as fact though.

Jorgan wrote:
GrahamO wrote:

Rofl Have you got your entry in for next year's Ironyman 70.3 Dubai?

Rofl "YOU ARE AN IRONYMAN"
Toyota_Crown

Location: Lincoln / Scarborough (Algerino-Land) / Fircombe-on-Sea. sandbagging for daveM

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="hammerer"]
GrahamO wrote:

^Way better than Facebook . Long Live TT Laughing
97IM+12DIM+D+3Q+4T=158IM
UKIMGrandSlam04-18
Whisk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know one of the event organisers - I'll ask her what the deal is with Strava logins the next time I see her. In the absence of any inside info, I'll pile in with the uninformed speculation

Rolling Eyes Wink

RideLondon sees itself as the London Marathon of cycling events and seems to be pitching itself at newbies and inexperienced riders, particularly those coming via the charity route. I'm sure that lots of people signing up are starting from a very low base and aren't Strava users. The route features numerous official short cuts that allow people to avoid the hills if they are running close to the cut-offs or just don't fancy them. I don't think RideLondon are looking to push away slower riders.

I think they want to use the Strava data for seeding purposes to confirm the validity of people's estimated finish times to make sure that they are starting with people of a similar speed.

The London to Paris event that I ride captain for has a big issue with this. People self-seed themselves into a group with a target speed of 28km/h because they've hit that speed once on a descent, but they live somewhere pan flat and struggle with a motorway bridge, so their actual ability is closer to 24km/h and the ride captains have a nightmare trying to keep the groups together on the first day. The organisers now insist on Strava data or similar to validate their claimed ability. This is just for a single ride though, rather than giving full access to their Strava data.

Personally, I declined to give my Strava details. I've only been using the app for a few months and I don't think the data I have on there supports the time that I expect to be able to ride in the event. Ignoring the shortened event in 2014, my RideLondon times have varied between 4:21 and 4:35. Those results should be visible to anyone from the organisation validating my estimated time.

Unless it's from a road race, I don't think any Strava file is likely to accurately reflect how quickly you can get round that course if you are able to hold a wheel and do the odd turn to keep driving the group along. Before the first RideLondon in 2013, I think most people thought that they'd be going well to get under 5:00 for a 100 mile sportive, but 5:00 is actually relatively slow for RideLondon.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whisk wrote:
RideLondon sees itself as the London Marathon of cycling events

I'm out.
SGreg

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

99.9% sure it will be marketing,

Strava is a BIG Social Platform, lots of Value in that from a marketing perspective.

Filtering out slow riders Laughing Laughing Laughing Deep Delusion, Don't give them your Facebook details as they will probably come round and steal your bike when you are on holiday to stop you riding it!!!
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGreg wrote:

Strava is a BIG Social Platform, lots of Value in that from a marketing perspective.

Filtering out slow riders Laughing Laughing Laughing Deep Delusion, Don't give them your Facebook details as they will probably come round and steal your bike when you are on holiday to stop you riding it!!!

You've finally persuaded me to add a privacy zone around my house!
Whisk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
SGreg wrote:

One of my mates is very active on Strava, Facebook and Instagram, with lots of followers. Until recently, he had no privacy zone around his house. Thieves broke into his garage during the night and stole the 5 most expensive bikes, with a combined value of nearly £40k Shocked Mad

He'd obviously been targeted by someone who'd seen the photos of his bikes on social media and knew where he lived and which ones to go for.
SGreg

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whisk wrote:

He'd obviously been targeted by someone who'd seen the photos of his bikes on social media and knew where he lived and which ones to go for.

You Sure?

Maybe he put an incorrect estimate in his RideLondon application and they hired Russian Spies to nick his bikes to safeguard the brand!
Whisk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGreg wrote:
Whisk wrote:

You Sure?

Maybe he put an incorrect estimate in his RideLondon application and they hired Russian Spies to nick his bikes to safeguard the brand!

Now that's probably a line of enquiry that Surrey Police haven't thought of Wink
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whisk wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
SGreg wrote:

One of my mates is very active on Strava, Facebook and Instagram, with lots of followers. Until recently, he had no privacy zone around his house. Thieves broke into his garage during the night and stole the 5 most expensive bikes, with a combined value of nearly £40k Shocked Mad

I generally only put pics of my crappy commuter bike on Strava; and then rarely. What we seem to get in our village are people trying to break into vans for tools, or steal the whole van, apparently. Because we live not far from a Motorway junction, that means they can get clean away according to the Police. In fact a few doors down had someone break into a shed at the front of his house that housed the oil tank, and they drained that in broad daylight. Most theft in the village happens during the working day.
Whisk

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my 4th rejection magazine from 5 attempts.

It's a great event to ride, but the ballot seems to be massively skewed against MAMILs from London and Surrey. None of my male cycling buddies have got in this year, but the women get in every time.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: